PC Hoik tracks with pressure plates for mounts

Eotall

Terrarian
Hello forum!

I've been playing around with hoik tracks and mounts in order to create a hoik teleportation hub to teleport the player to different slime invulnerability spots around my map.
It turns out that while mounted, hoiks work in quite different ways (mostly I guess because the player sprite is obviously different). This poses A LOT of difficulties and differences in relation to regular hoik systems.
I will post my findings in this thread, that others may benefit without having to go through extensive testing.
(DISCLAIMER: All my tests have been done with the slime mount, and only the slime mount so far, as my end goal regards that mount.)

My first goal was to create a simple pressure plate hoik track where you could control which plates got pressed on each pass. This proved problematic as the mounted sprite seems to activate pressure plates despite being hoiked to the roof:
Capture 2015-12-01 12_46_17.png
Capture 2015-12-01 12_46_25.png

In order to create a selective track, I decided to mix different "hoik intervals" (different hoiks push you a different number of tiles to the side in a horizontal hoik system). I found that roof hoiks could push you 3 or 4 tiles depending on their frequency.
Capture 2015-12-01 12_54_03.png
Capture 2015-12-01 12_54_30.png

Using this, with A LOT of testing, I managed to create a selective hoik track:
Capture 2015-12-01 12_30_48.png
Capture 2015-12-01 12_30_56.png
This track allows the toggle between outputs on the red wires and output on the blue wires. In the current state it's the blue wires which get activated on each pass. By flipping the switch on top, the red wires will activate instead.
This is the most compact build possible using this hoik setup. Any further compressing unfortunately makes the system unreliable.
(I hereby assign a challenge to find a more compact version, seeing as compactness often is a goal!).

The next step in my process was to enable these tracks to activate a teleporter for the mounted player, to exit the track into a slime invul-machine and, equally important, be able to enter the track again at the same teleporter. This proved quite the challenge (try it out for yourselves!) and the only solution I've come up with so far is one using TEdit magic:
Capture 2015-12-01 12_27_11.png
Capture 2015-12-01 12_27_35.png
This mechanic allows for two optionts:
(current state): mounting the slime in the leftmost chamber, flipping the switch to enter the track, passing through the hoik system pressing both blue wires and thereby keeping the actuation state of the hoik teeth, and exit the track at the rightmost teleporter.
(activated state (by flipping the switch on the top)): mounting the slime in the leftmost chamber, flipping the switch to enter the track, entering the hoik system activating ONLY the red wire and thereby exiting the track into the slime invul-machine below. By flipping the switch in said machine the player is then teleported into the track again, pushing the rightmost blue wire as they pass (actuating and thereby disabling the hoik teeth) and then exiting the track.

Now... This solution is neither particularly pretty, compact nor "legit" (as it uses TEdit magic for both teleporters). Is there anyone who has found a better option?

Attachments

• Capture 2015-12-01 12_31_57.png
    Capture 2015-12-01 12_31_57.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Capture 2015-12-01 12_32_05.png
    Capture 2015-12-01 12_32_05.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Capture 2015-12-01 12_51_55.png
    Capture 2015-12-01 12_51_55.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Capture 2015-12-01 12_52_02.png
    Capture 2015-12-01 12_52_02.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 261
Nice work on hoiking mounts! Your method is very similar to what @inomanoms previously discovered when it came to pressure plate prioritization, so he might have further advice for you.

As far as the destination teleporter room, you can make your dummy chamber set-up legit by putting a platform underneath. When teleporting into the chamber you'll still have to pull down to start hopping onto the dummies. If you want the process to begin automatically, you'd have to find a way of raising the outbound teleporter by 1 or 2 tiles, so that when you teleport in the teleporter will be head or chest high and you'll automatically start bouncing on the dummies.

You should also consider posting another thread in T-MEC - you're bound to get more responses there!

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?watched/social-forums

Thank you :)

When I run testing of the fig. 4 track I don't have to input anything other than the initiation to get in/get out (switches) - the slime starts to bounce on it's own. Perhaps you mean if I add before mentioned platform though, but during testing of stationary slime teleportation into the dummy chamber, I haven't been able to replicate the platform holding you up as you've been using in your chambers.
With building in TEdit, you seem to have to manually re-place the dummies in order to "spawn" their ghost (and therefore be able to bounce on them), perhaps there is a similar thing with platforms (seeing as I've done most testing on TEdit creations). Any experience with that?

Also, should I create a new topic in T-MEC, or just redirect it here?

Thank you :)

When I run testing of the fig. 4 track I don't have to input anything other than the initiation to get in/get out (switches) - the slime starts to bounce on it's own. Perhaps you mean if I add before mentioned platform though, but during testing of stationary slime teleportation into the dummy chamber, I haven't been able to replicate the platform holding you up as you've been using in your chambers.

It depends where the outgoing teleporter is positioned. You can end up bouncing on the dummies at various heights with the slime saddle, and if you have an inbound actuated teleporter sitting on top of a platform that is 1 tile above the dummies, you'll end up sitting on top of that platform if you teleport from an outbound teleporter that's low enough.

Also, should I create a new topic in T-MEC, or just redirect it here?

Best to create a new topic.

It depends where the outgoing teleporter is positioned. You can end up bouncing on the dummies at various heights with the slime saddle, and if you have an inbound actuated teleporter sitting on top of a platform that is 1 tile above the dummies, you'll end up sitting on top of that platform if you teleport from an outbound teleporter that's low enough.

I've figured as much from your earlier designs, but when I've tried to replicate it (making an exact replica of your all surface farm) the player doesn't get stuck atop the platform in my version for some reason. I figure it might have to do with placing platforms in TEdit instead of doing it manually, but I'm not sure.

Will create a new topic in T-MEC with some new schematics I've made shortly. :)

I've figured as much from your earlier designs, but when I've tried to replicate it (making an exact replica of your all surface farm) the player doesn't get stuck atop the platform in my version for some reason. I figure it might have to do with placing platforms in TEdit instead of doing it manually, but I'm not sure.

Hmm, which version were you trying to replicate? My initial approach had a teleporter on top of a platform 1 tile above the dummies, but the current version has the teleporter and platform shifted upwards by 2 tiles to make sure the player doesn't get stuck on the platform when teleporting in. It would be interesting if you tried entering my world and comparing what you experience there to what you experience on your world and see if you can catch any notable differences.

Ah, I see now. Updated the version and now I won't get stuck on the platform.
Sometimes, however, I seem to enter the killchamber in a lower altitude, making the sprite bounce a lot more and disabling the invulnerability (perhaps by allowing some frames of vuln. between bounces). Is this something you have experienced and know the cause of?

Ah, I see now. Updated the version and now I won't get stuck on the platform.
Sometimes, however, I seem to enter the killchamber in a lower altitude, making the sprite bounce a lot more and disabling the invulnerability (perhaps by allowing some frames of vuln. between bounces). Is this something you have experienced and know the cause of?

Yes, this happens sometimes and I'm not sure why. It happens pretty rarely for me though, and usually only the first time I enter the kill chamber.

Back
Top Bottom