How do you beat duke fishron in 1.3?

jmeyer74

Terrarian
Literally every single guide that i can find is building an asphalt bride and sprinting away from him. I have already died 4 times and am cheating in truffle worms now because this is total bullcrap.
Once he gets to his second stage where he goes super fast it's impossible for me to dodge him. This is with the Tabi and with the hoverboard and his stupid charge lasts so long that i always end up getting pushed up against a wall and dieing because of his massive damage, or going outside of the ocean and having him enrage then kill me that way. I haven't done pumpkin or frost moon yet so I don't have any items from there. Here is a screenshot of my inventory:
BD2CD7ADEE015F9E5F94AD18E891474FBA3CE797

My main strategy was to use the piranha gun so I can focus on dodging, but you know, it's kind of impossible to dodge him. When I tried the Megashark I still died to him because he places sharknados right in the middle of my arena so that I have no space to run around. At that point I just stand still and accept death, there is no way for me to win there. I have even seen people say that they die to him using MOON LORD GEAR. The best armor and weapons in the game and they still die to him. How am I supposed to kill him if even people with much better armor and weapons than me still have trouble with him?

Well, firstly, running away from him over asphalt is probably a no go since the Duke will get enraged when you leave his biome, meaning he'll most likely kill you faster than you can say cockadoodledoo.
I find the idea very silly to begin with. Do guides really tell you this?

Anyway, the Duke is fast, so you need to get faster.
To outspeed him, acquire these items:
- Any decent late game wings, the Ice ones for example. Easy to get too. (Maybe a hoverboard works, I dunno, but I depend on being able to fly high when fighting the Duke.)
- A horseshoe balloon, yellow would be nice, white is good enough. When wearing a balloon while also using wings you get a massive take-off boost.
- Ninja Gear. I never use it myself but when needed you can at least quickly dodge him once every couple of seconds.
- Boots with a bit of speed in them. Spectre Boots or up. You'll need to run across platforms and take off repeatedly. Not being able to run makes this dangerous.
- Speed Potion.

- Create a row of platforms over the ocean so you'll not get into the water. Being in water slows you down to a crawl without the Duke's wings.
- Create another row of platforms ~10 blocks above the other one. The Duke's tornadoes will usually land on the upper platforms, enabling you to use the bottom platforms to run underneath them.

Hard to explain the following, but the Duke likes to repeat his patterns. Once you know what he's up to you'll be able to dodge him easily. Stay far away from him at all times. Estimate where he hangs out when he's offscreen and keep firing at him. 1.3 made this easier since he now shows on the map.
Keep in mind that you'll have the most speed while going up and falling down. Steer away from him at all times and make wide circles around him to avoid leaving his biome. Fly up, go left or right, fall down, run across the platforms, go up... etc.

Also, when you see this bubble-like thing coming after you, which is way faster than you, move away from it. It'll always hit you, but if you were backing up from it when it hits it won't damage you.

You can make it a lot easier for yourself by just using chlorophyte bullets, but it's also very doable with a Terrablade for example.
I see you have a Megashark. Maybe you can farm a Tactical Shotgun from the dungeon and load it up with chlorophyte. A Megashark might do as well, I dunno.

Hope that helps. It's kinda difficult to explain how I'd fight him. It'd be much easier to show it from example.

My Fishron arena consists of several rows of platforms spaced 20 blocks apart from one another. I avoided the charge attacks by spinning in circles with the Anti-Gravity Hook and avoided the other attacks by gaining distance with a Hoverboard and ascending or descending platforms as needed.

if ur in 1.3, fishron will enter enraged mode upon exiting the ocean biome, making the asphalt pretty much impossible, i used spectre armor with the leaf blower in the arena in the attached file. it took we a while, but i came out victorious. I hope this helps.

sources:http://terraria.wiki.gg/Duke_Fishron

Attachments

• Capture 2015-08-22 10_29_14.png
    Capture 2015-08-22 10_29_14.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,021
If you don't feel like creating arenas, make a large box around the ocean biome high enough to get the space biome. Get some gravitation potions and wings and keep using the gravity reverse to kill him. It's useful in Normal Mode, but in Expert it may be a challenge in his third form...

Yeah... third form.

jmeyer74, have you considered Water Walking Boots or a Water Walking Potion? They'll let you walk on the ocean, essentially giving a free platform/level to fight him on. That'll be one less set of platforms to create.
As Gotcha! has mentioned, speed is key. I defeated him with Wings... can't remember which ones... but the trick was to fly in large circles. If they're large enough, the tornadoes will spawn in places where they won't bother you, and will disappear before you complete the loop.

As for weapons: it looks like you've tried guns before? I assume you use (or can use) Chlorophyte Bullets for their homing ability. If you want to try melee, consider Turtle/Beetle Armour with Vampire Knives. The Vampire Knives don't require accuracy - just throw them in Fishron's general direction and concentrate on dodging and moving. Plus, they'll help heal a little bit of damage in the meantime. Turtle Armour will reflect some collision damage back on Fishron, but you can't rely solely on this. Beetle Armour can help with defence. (The attack bonus version is probably not really worth it here.)

Regardless of your class, summon the strongest minion you have for a little extra damage. Every class can have at least one minion active. Even better: use a Bewitching Table and summon a second.

Finally, use a health potion as soon as it becomes economical to do so. Don't wait until you're at 100 HP to use a health potion; use one as soon as you dip below 350 HP. There's the potion sickness cooldown to consider, so you want to be ready to hit up another potion ASAP.

It's a difficult fight, and I died a lot at first. But trust me - it's achievable with the right preparation. :)

i killed him with the last prisim
Well, yeah, obviously you can kill a boss with weapons dropped by any later boss.

I have even seen people say that they die to him using MOON LORD GEAR.
Anyone who dies with Moon Lord gear is misinterpreting the boss. I don't think any Moon Lord gear - except Solar / Nebula wings - would really be of any benefit to players. Fishron is not a boss you kill by inflicting obscene damage or tanking. Fishron is a boss you kill by avoiding it and spraying damage behind you for it to fly into.

Back
Top Bottom