in terraria are you rather tidy or messy??? o_O'

• i'm the tidiest guy ever! trust me, i'll tech the the way to do it son

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • i'm messy as hell i can't even tidy my coins properly help me

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Nahus Le Demon

Steampunker
Hi terrarians, today is monday june 29th two days before the 1.3 comes out but i'm here today to ask you a litle questio How do you organize your chestroom?

(by this, i mean how do you categorize the diferent types of items of the game in your chests or how do you place you chest in the most logic way to reach a certain playing comfort)

as a terraria player i hope you are you will know that tidying is matter in this game as you drop a lot of stuff so the goal of this thread is to share the diferent ways each other has to tidy their chests and find the best tidying technic

of course i'll read all of your posts and i'll update this post with the technics you posted, organizing them by chest placing technic and chest renaming technics, feel free to propose anything you want to help me make this post big

• Weapons
    • Tools
    • Armor
    • Potions
    • Potion Ingredients*
    • Dye
    • Stone
    • Dirt
    • Misc Blocks 1
    • Misc Blocks 2*
    • Ore
    • Crimson/Corruption
    • Vanity 1*
    • Vanity 2*
    • Boss
    • Piggy Bank (Unsorted 1)
    • Safe (Unsorted 2)
    • Mob Drops 1
    • Mob Drops 2
    • Fishing
    • Furniture*
    • Crafting Units*
    • Ammo*
    • Misc
this one is a good one :) thumb up
but i think we still can do better

if any english mistakes have been made tell it pls i'm french so i need to learn this awesome language i like so much

Last edited:
My chest organization is based on the world generation, wherever a chest spawns I drop stuff in it and come back if I need anything.
When I get a lot of stuff I just move these chests into a house and just quick stack and place all.
heh, I'm unorganized, although I crave organization... lol laziness.

i'm lazier in real life than in terraria :D... call me a doctor please ahahah,
personaly i just randomly rename the chests with the types of items i put in like potions,seeds,furnitures, but i try to find the best way to tidy because i think that if you are messy and you don't particulary like to you will not want to play for a long time but in general messy terrarians are okay with the fact that they have to seek their items 20 minutes xD

I create an entire room dedicated to organization. It usually contains like 15 chests, which are all named. I love organization but building the room isn't too fun.
Well I get to organize again when the update comes out. :sigh:

I create an entire room dedicated to organization. It usually contains like 15 chests, which are all named. I love organization but building the room isn't too fun.
Well I get to organize again when the update comes out. :sigh:
what names do you use and at wich scale do you categorize these chests?

• Weapons
  • Tools
  • Armor
  • Potions
  • Potion Ingredients*
  • Dye
  • Stone
  • Dirt
  • Misc Blocks 1
  • Misc Blocks 2*
  • Ore
  • Crimson/Corruption
  • Vanity 1*
  • Vanity 2*
  • Boss
  • Safe (Unsorted 2)
  • Mob Drops 1
  • Mob Drops 2
  • Fishing
  • Furniture*
  • Crafting Units*
  • Ammo*
  • Misc
*I only sort these when I need to (aka I get a lot of this type of item). Most of the time those items will be sorted into other chests until needed.

• Weapons
  • Tools
  • Armor
  • Potions
  • Potion Ingredients*
  • Dye
  • Stone
  • Dirt
  • Misc Blocks 1
  • Misc Blocks 2*
  • Ore
  • Crimson/Corruption
  • Vanity 1*
  • Vanity 2*
  • Boss
  • Safe (Unsorted 2)
  • Mob Drops 1
  • Mob Drops 2
  • Fishing
  • Furniture*
  • Crafting Units*
  • Ammo*
  • Misc
*I only sort these when I need to (aka I get a lot of this type of item). Most of the time those items will be sorted into other chests until needed.
nice sorting i'll put it in the main thread

What I can offer as a tip is use chests with corresponding texture.
For example, a wooden chest with wood related items in it, or a hardmode chest containing weapons

I just quick stack everything. I don't mind taking an extra 15-20 seconds finding the item I need. If It's important, I just either keep it in my inventory or in a chest close to my spawn. That's it, I always wanted to organize but I never really wanted to dedicate the time into it.

I just quick stack everything. I don't mind taking an extra 15-20 seconds finding the item I need. If It's important, I just either keep it in my inventory or in a chest close to my spawn. That's it, I always wanted to organize but I never really wanted to dedicate the time into it.

well i hope we will find a way to tidy the chests as easily as we can

What I can offer as a tip is use chests with corresponding texture.
For example, a wooden chest with wood related items in it, or a hardmode chest containing weapons

it couldn't be viable for all kinds of items and some chests are harder to find than others but it still a cool idea that we can combine with painting

it couldn't be viable for all kinds of items and some chests are harder to find than others but it still a cool idea that we can combine with painting
But honestly, where would you prfer to keep weapons of mass destruction?
In some pathetic wooden chest or an epic colorful chest of epic epicness?

well i hope we will find a way to tidy the chests as easily as we can
You should look into that. An Idea I just had would be to have a chest room, dedicate each chest to something by naming it and putting one of every block in there, just so after that we can quick stack. I know the first bit isn't mine but I'd definately end up using my idea I guess. I don't know.

You should look into that. An Idea I just had would be to have a chest room, dedicate each chest to something by naming it and putting one of every block in there, just so after that we can quick stack. I know the first bit isn't mine but I'd definately end up using my idea I guess. I don't know.
yes that's the way we all know but the goal should be to find a way to optimize this sorting by choosing very particular names so their is less chess,, i usualy create so much named chests that i end lost and some items need more than one chest

I sort them like that :
-wood and wood related stuff (doors chairs etc)
-tools
-weapons and armor
-random blocks that i get a lot of (dirt stone mud silt etc)
-my personal chest (inculdes my favourite weapons and tools like magic mirror and other stuff)
-mining stuff (gems , ores , bars)
-randoms
-chests that i use to deposit my stuff in and them i take them out and sort them in other chests (i do that if i dont have time or something )
oh and an advice from me to all players :
TIDY YOUR CHESTS IF YOU DONT WANT TO LOSE YOUR SANITY
YOU BETTER TIDY THEM NOW BECAUSE THE MORE YOU PROGRESS
IN THE GAME THE MORE STUFF YOU GET AND IT DROVE ME
INSANE THAT I DELETED MY WORLD AND CHARACTER TO RESTART
BECAUSE I HAD TOO MANY STUFF AND I WAS TOO LAZY TO TIDY THEM
not that i am a pro or anything , i haven't even got to hardmode (YET)

Well, this thread is really old, but...

I am well organized up to a point. In the early game I am horrifically disorganized, but once I establish a permanent base, I make a point of organizing my items. While many items are simply in chests laid out near one another (for easy quick stacking), some are placed near crafting stations, so I can craft directly from the chest.
I have:

Melee weapons, magic, ranged, summoning, ammo, throwable, explosives, standard trio tools (pickaxes, axes, hammers, or any combination thereof), other tools (e.g. bug net), non-specific armor (includes throwing), melee armor, magic, ranged, summoning, accessories, vanity, critters, pets, mounts, paint related items, enemy drops (e.g. vine), enemy bulk drops (e.g. gel), boss summoning items (including event items), boss summoning materials (e.g. rotten chunks), crafting stations, furniture (flat surface), furniture (other), light sources, wall hangings (not including paintings), paintings, non-decorative blocks, decorative blocks (e.g. metal bricks, candy cane blocks), walls, non-functional statues, functional statues (e.g. item/critter/enemy statues), mechanisms (wire, wire triggers, and items that can be triggered by wire but don't qualify for any other chest, such as traps and announcement boxes), food items, fishing-related items, misc.

Then outside of the main area I have:
Wood (including cactus) (near work bench and sawmill), ores (near furnace), bars (near anvil), silk (e.g. spider webs, and things crafted from them) (near loom), potion ingredients (near alchemy station), potion ingredient seeds (near potion ingredient chest), dye materials (near dye vat), normal dyes (near dye materials chest), special dyes (near dye materials chest).

Piggy Bank: Money, Fishing set (full armor, all accessories, golden rod, Master Bait), Endless Water Bucket, Super Absorbent Sponge, a handful of accessories and weapons I might want to use at some point on the go, some potions, uh... some other stuff I can't remember, but it's usually full, and with fairly specific items that I think I might need.

Safe: Usually total chaos, sometimes holds excess banners, or rare items I find but don't have room for.

Defender's Forge: Total chaos

Now, even with all that, I run into storage problems due to not having enough room for chests. My original base had maybe three chests for vanity, and now I've squeezed in six or seven, and they're still overflowing. While the base was built on top of spawn, it wasn't prime real estate, with a desert creeping in on the left, and my boss arena on the right. I just don't have any more room to physically squeeze in chests, nor much room to expand the base. On expert mode, I made sure to leave extra room for excess chests, but I'm starting to run out of room for certain weapon types even there. In my first base, I've resorted to placing random chests everywhere and just stuffing whatever in them. It isn't pretty.

Last edited:
I try to organize my items by category shortly after I spawn. At first, I scatter chests throughout the house. After building three floors of NPC houses, I build an entire floor dedicated to storage (floors in the house are 38 tiles long and 6 blocks tall, including all walls and the actual floor). In all of my versions (3DS, XB1, and PC), items are put in each chest in a specific order. When a chest is full, the section overflows to the next chest. I'll eventually post an image, as that was likely the most confusing thing you've ever read (or, at least, the most confusing thing in this post).

The order I put items in are usually as follows:

1. Bars, Ores, and Gems
2. Blocks (i.e. dirt, sand...)
3. Statues
4. Plants
5. Crafting Stations and Furniture
6. Bottles and Potions
7. Weapons and Ammo
8. Tools (i.e. explosives, rope, glowstix, torches...)
9. Food
10. General materials
11. Wood

My piggy bank only contains money, but I will eventually put other things in there. What that will be is beyond me at the moment.

I always do like:
1. Weapons (Magic)
2. Weapons (Melee)
3. Weapons (Range)
4. Weapons (Summoner/Throwing)
5. Armors (3 chest for these cause there are a lot)
6. Vanity (3 chest)
7. Blocks (3 or 4 chest)
8. PreHard Ores & Gems
9. Hardmode Ores
10. PreHard Materials
11. Hardmode Materials
12. Summoning (Like lens, suspicious eye and stuff like that)
13. Props or Furniture (3 chests)
14. Banners (Last time i used 4 chest and growing...)
15. Painting
16. Dyes
17. Tech (Traps and wires and stuff like that)

And always i leave some chest in my arena for especific events like halloween or christmas

Back
Top Bottom