• Console & Mobile Terrarians - news for 1.4.4.9! As of Nov 30, iOS and Android 1.4.4.9 are out now. PS and Xbox should be very soon. Switch and Amazon are in submission. Great way to end the year - everyone on the same version of Terraria! More details HERE.

how do you pronounce 'cthulhu'

Cibryll

The Destroyer
Everybody's got their own pronunciations of "Cthulhu".
I just pronounce it with the 'c' being silent.

Kubiquity^3

Steampunker
The word itself is alien…HP Lovecraft declared it such. There are numerous common pronunciations butttt the human cannot pronounce it correctly.

Edit: Since it wasn’t copyright then Metallica simply chose a simple and easy way to pronounce spelling for its listeners.

Edit 2: HP Lovecraft died in 1937 and the song was written in 1984 which is less than 70 years.

Last edited:

Aurora3500

Staff member
Is it (Cu-thu-lu), (Cha-tu-lu), or (Cth-ul-who)? I've always said it was Cha tu lu.

Hello Jacobi Reagan,

There is an already existing thread for this topic, so I have gone ahead and merged your thread into the original thread so they are 1 thread now. :dryadsmile:

WolfieTheFurry

Steampunker
I heard in one dudes video it's pronounced "Clue-Hloo" which... just sounds like a failed sneeze honestly. Lovecraft never meant for it to be pronounceable lol

Kubiquity^3

Steampunker
I heard in one dudes video it's pronounced "Clue-Hloo" which... just sounds like a failed sneeze honestly. Lovecraft never meant for it to be pronounceable lol
I just watched Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness and ZERO doubt that first demon is a representation of Cthulhu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom