Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Loon-a-tick Cultists.

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
For some reason, it seems like the lunatic cultists should sound like :

Loon-at-ick Cultists.

But I know that it should be pronounced.

Loon-a-tick Cultists.

I just think the first one makes more sense because it sounds like lunar+lunatic.

Well if you say loon-a-tic it would mean crazy.
But if you say loon-at-ic then it could mean a fan of the moon.
So yeah i guess it kind-of makes sense

you learn something new everyday!
You shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. But...
22dSocF
(if image is broken : http://i.imgur.com/22dSocFh.jpg)
So when you say loon-at-ic i assume it means someone obsessed with the moon.

Thousands of years ago many people believed insanity was caused by the moon. This is where we get the terms "lunacy" and "lunatic" — after luna, the moon.

We now know better… or should know better.

Sad to say, even nowadays echoes of this old delusion persist, such as the urban legend about crime, hospital admissions, etc. increasing during the full moon. Not so; it's been completely and thoroughly debunked. No such effect exists.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lunacy-and-the-full-moon/
http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_effect

Back on topic, I pronounce it "loon-a-tick."

I pronounce it 'loon-at-tic', as you do.

Now let me preface by saying that loonattic is certainly not in the Oxford Dictionary. However, in several fantasy games and media before I have seen lunatic divided into two different sub-words:

- Loon-ah-tic: 'insanity derived from the moon'.

- Loon-at-tic: 'power derived from the moon'.

Now, both of the words' meanings (and pronounciations, really the main difference is whether you go loonahTIC or loonAHTIC) are pretty similar... and honestly, to the Cultists more than a bit of both could apply. However, I see them first and foremost as wielding the power of the Moon rather than being twisted by it.

Hence loonattic. ;)

What's the difference between those two? Is the end of the first one pronounced like attic?

Aye I just added a clarification myself!

Spoken, the difference is basically whether you emphasise just the end of the word or the middle and end of the word.

loonahTIC - most common pronounciation.

loonAHTIC - how me and the thread starter pronounce it, because we're hipsta. :p

I pronounce it loon-AT-ick. Need to show emphasis on the syllables, as they can both be read the same if without.. :p

Didn't even occur to me it could be LOON-a-tic before this thread, huh.

Yeah... I'm still confused. I keep reading the other pronunciation as loon-attic.

Yeah! That's basically how I say it. Inspired by the inestimable Ronan Erudon of Grand Chase - "Loonattic Force! *Pow*"

Most people say it more like loonahtic though, or, if it helps, basically like lunar-tic.

Yeah! That's basically how I say it. Inspired by the inestimable Ronan Erudon of Grand Chase - "Loonattic Force! *Pow*"

Most people say it more like loonahtic though, or, if it helps, basically like lunar-tic.
Ahh, I see now. Yeah, I say it the other way too. It's more natural to say for me, and part of it sounds like "luna".

For a better way to distinguish between the two pronunciations I think you're trying to get at, you can use /lunətɪk/ versus /lunætək/. The former is the only one I've personally ever heard and the one listed in most dictionaries, but I can believe that there are some dialects that use the other one. In case you can't read IPA, /ə/ is the unstressed neutral vowel (pronounced like the word "a" in quick speech) and never marks emphasized syllables, so if you don't emphasize the second syllable you're pronouncing it /lunətɪk/ and if you do you're pronouncing it /lunætək/.

Also, there is no difference in meaning between the two pronunciations - they're just different ways of saying the same word. "Lunatic" has only ever meant "insane" in English, sometimes with moon-related connotations, but never anything more. "Lunar" is the only proper adjective for moon-related things in English. In the case of the Lunatic Cultist, it's just a pun based on the word's etymology.

Reactions: Kix
Back
Top Bottom