How to change audio in a resource pack

Castled

Terrarian
A simple Tutorial on how to change Audio in a resource pack:

Find the file that you want to change, and put it in a folder in your Resource Pack's Content folder called Sounds.
1603398007892.png

On Windows, the place that you can find the vanilla sound files should be here:
(Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/Content/Sounds)
1603397984813.png

2. Use a tool like WavToXnb to change your audio file from .wav to .xnb so that it can be used by the game.

(Use something like Audacity to properly convert your file to .wav, as you will get an error like "Problem 4" if it's not converted properly)
**DO NOT CHANGE THE VANILLA FILES. MAKE YOUR OWN FILES**
1603398123591.png

3. Name it properly, and if the file that you want to change is in a folder called Custom,
then make sure to make a folder with the same name in your Sounds folder (in the resource pack).
1603398146897.png

I disabled the pack and I can still hear the modified sounds!
OR
I disabled the pack and I can't hear the sound anymore!

Restart/Relaunch your Terraria.

When sounds are modified, the game will
forget the original sound instance, so each hook
must be reactivated once again,
meaning Terraria itself
must be relaunched.

The audio file must be at most the same length of the original audio, however,
the file size doesn't matter (thank goodness!)

I hope this helps, and I hope to see some extraordinary resource packs in the future!​

Last edited:
You know the ID of the Empress of light soundtrack? 'o_O
I've seen the resource pack that you made and I'm kind of scared about what you would change it to lol

Jokes and late reply aside, I'm not sure myself on how to change vanilla music, but all I know is that they are loaded in a .xgs file, specifically this one:
1604770510151.png

You would probably need to decompile vanilla source code using something like ILSpy to find the ID since this is the only file that I know of that Terraria loads music from.
If you're simply trying to find the ID, then it's better to follow the guide that I linked to, since I'm assuming that you're not wanting to contribute to tML.

Though I'm not sure that this is particularly the most practical way of doing it (if it even works), so I think it would be best if it was left to someone else to figure out how to change music.

I've seen the resource pack that you made and I'm kind of scared about what you would change it to lol

Jokes and late reply aside, I'm not sure myself on how to change vanilla music, but all I know is that they are loaded in a .xgs file, specifically this one:
View attachment 297313
You would probably need to decompile vanilla source code using something like ILSpy to find the ID since this is the only file that I know of that Terraria loads music from.
If you're simply trying to find the ID, then it's better to follow the guide that I linked to, since I'm assuming that you're not wanting to contribute to tML.

Though I'm not sure that this is particularly the most practical way of doing it (if it even works), so I think it would be best if it was left to someone else to figure out how to change music.
To change the music you need to modify the Wave Bank.xwb file, it's a VERY tedious process

Back
Top Bottom