How to Make A Bed?

leilakassem

Terrarian
Ok, so this question probably sounds stupid, but how do I make a bed? This is my third day playing Terraria and probably my tenth terrarian night, and I still dont know how to get a bed! I searched the wiki but could someone please give some kind of steps as to how I can get a bed? Thanks for the help (Im a noob at terraria because I just started, and making a bed in Minecraft is so simple lol) Also, what do I need to make a chest? Thanks.

One of the most important things to know is that the Guide-NPC is super useful for these situations! You can put materials in the slot he displays when you click "Crafting" while talking to him and he shows you what you can craft with it, what else you need and which crafting station you need.

Anyway, making a bed comes down to a simple question:
Do you have a Sawmill?
If not, you'll have to go find some Iron/Lead Ore, refine them into Iron/Lead Bars and make Chains to make one, first. Sawmills are where you make more complex things such as chests and beds out of wood.
A bed is made with silk and wood while standing next to a Sawmill. You get silk from collecting cobwebs and crafting them at a Loom, which is also crafted at a Sawmill.
Chests, on the other hand, are made from Iron/Lead Bars and wood, but I'd suggest emptying and picking up chests you find lying around instead to save Iron or Lead.

I hope this helped you get started! I actually think Terraria's crafting system is refreshingly simple, all you need is a correct crafting station.

To make a Bed you'll need a Workbench, a Furnace, an Anvil, a Sawmill, and a Loom as crafting stations.

Since you are very new, here are step by step instructions. Skip whichever parts you already have done.
  • Make a Workbench
  • Gather 10 pieces of wood
  • Craft a Workbench by hand (no crafting station needed)
  • Make a Furnace
  • Gather 20 stone, 5 wood, 1 gel
  • Craft 3 torches by hand
  • Craft a Furnace at a Workbench
  • Make an Iron/Lead Anvil
  • Gather 15 Iron/Lead ore
  • Craft 5 Iron/Lead Bars at a Furnace
  • Craft an Iron/Lead Anvil at a Workbench
  • Make a Sawmill
  • Gather 10 wood, 9 Iron/Lead ore
  • Craft 3 Iron/Lead Bars at a Furnace
  • Craft 10 Chains at an Anvil
  • Craft a Sawmill at a Workbench
  • Make a Loom
  • Gather 12 wood
  • Craft a Loom at a Sawmill
  • Make a Bed
  • Gather 15 wood and 35 cobweb
  • Craft 5 Silk at a Loom
  • Craft a Bed at a Sawmill
This may seem like a lot of steps just to make a bed, but all of these items and crafting stations are gathered and created quite naturally as you progress through the game. You'll need the Furnace, Anvil, and Sawmill for lots of other stuff throughout the game, so they are almost always crafted very early on as soon as you can get them.

Based on your last message about spawning, if you are looking for a quick way to save your progress and spawn wherever you last explored, a bed - and a house to put the bed in - may not be the easiest way. You cannot just set down the bed and make it a spawn point. You'll need to build a house, then put the bed in it, then set your spawn. And if you're doing that just to spawn where you last explored, it can be rather time consuming. A lot of Terrarians simply tavel back to where they last explored after spawning at natural spawn on the surface using the map as a guide. However, lots of people like to play differently so play however you like. :) And lastly...
  • Make a Chest
  • Gather 8 wood and 6 Iron/Lead ore
  • Craft 2 Iron/Lead bars at an Anvil
  • Craft a Chest at a Workbench
I agree with Kaizo that finding chests may be easier than making them. Just find a chest, empty it by putting the items in your inventory, then mine the chest with a pick axe and take it with you.

I also agree with Kaizo that using the Guide NPC can be invaluable. Talk to the Guide, select Crafting, and give him any item that says "Material" (by putting the item in the little box that appears) and the Guide will show you everything that can be made with that item, even if you don't have all the materials to make it.

Good luck new Terrarian.

Thank you guys soooo much for the help! You were both very specific and I really appreciate it! Gotta say, these forums are so much better than the Minecraft ones. I'm liking it! I will be making my bed now....

Last edited:
Just a quick note: You can't sleep in beds in Terraria. Beds only set the spawn point; they don't allow you to make night pass safely like they do in Minecraft. (I had never played Minecraft when I got Terraria, but for some reason I still thought you could sleep in beds.)

Also, what do I need to make a chest? Thanks.
Chests vary in their design - perhaps check the Wiki for a full list.
The simplest chest is 8 units of like-wood plus 2 iron or lead bars. With one exception, all chests need a single base material + 2 iron or lead bars.

Oh okay. Yea it seems reasonable that you can sleep through the night in a bed, like it is in Minecraft. Thanks for the info, though, because I had thought you could sleep. I am realizing how easy Minecraft was lol

Back
Top Bottom