Game Mechanics I am soooo mad about how item selection works

GBE

Terrarian
Holy :red:, this game tilts me like no other just because the controls are such a unbelievable :red: around. If you have your inventory open to lay some blocks down or whatever and you press your 1-0 keys to select a weapon, TOUGH LUCK you don't get to use your weapon. You have to press esc to exit the inventory first. Every. Single. Time. Are you smoking some good :red: bother? Why is it is like this!? If I press my 1-0 keys, I want to use those items IMMEDIATELY! This has been the cause of the vast majority of my deaths. It wasn't biting more off than I could chew, not misjudging how effective my weapons dmg and knockback were, just :red:ty cancerous controls that stop me even being able to equip my weapon in the first place, completely robbing me of my agency to defend myself when I want to.

Please tell me why the actual :red: this design decision was made?

Apologies my first post is toxic, it's just been impossible to ignore this and it keeps happening and the fix is so simple it makes me hate the devs.

Why on earth do you have your inventory open so often that you die because you couldn't press escape in time? Also why weren't you just holding the weapon in the first place? Were you holding an item outside of your inventory that was preventing you from selecting anything?

Holy :red:, this game tilts me like no other just because the controls are such a unbelievable :red: around. If you have your inventory open to lay some blocks down or whatever and you press your 1-0 keys to select a weapon, TOUGH LUCK you don't get to use your weapon. You have to press esc to exit the inventory first. Every. Single. Time. Are you smoking some good :red: bother? Why is it is like this!? If I press my 1-0 keys, I want to use those items IMMEDIATELY! This has been the cause of the vast majority of my deaths. It wasn't biting more off than I could chew, not misjudging how effective my weapons dmg and knockback were, just :red:ty cancerous controls that stop me even being able to equip my weapon in the first place, completely robbing me of my agency to defend myself when I want to.

Please tell me why the actual :red: this design decision was made?
Apologies my first post is toxic, it's just been impossible to ignore this and it keeps happening and the fix is so simple it makes me hate the devs.
No matter if you apologize, it is still toxic. There is a reason why you could CHANGE the controls. Literally in the controls menu. Also why do you have your inventory open? Change your inventory key to E and everything should be good. Also a bit of advice, you can place blocks down without your inventory open. Just keep them in your hot bar.

No matter if you apologize, it is still toxic. There is a reason why you could CHANGE the controls. Literally in the controls menu. Also why do you have your inventory open? Change your inventory key to E and everything should be good. Also a bit of advice, you can place blocks down without your inventory open. Just keep them in your hot bar.
The odd thing is, I went and tested it after reading this thread. You can in fact do exactly what he's complaining about without any problem, so I'm not sure what he was experiencing.

The odd thing is, I went and tested it after reading this thread. You can in fact do exactly what he's complaining about without any problem, so I'm not sure what he was experiencing.
umm no, you cannot select a hot keyed item and use it while you have a non-hot keyed item selected from the inventory. Esc must be pressed first. Maybe you are using a mod someone equally as pissed about this design flaw made to change it.

What setting? The settings are nothing but a much of keybinds. This isn't a keybind issue, clearly, its an issue with priority of commands.

why not assign the blocks to one of the 1-0 keys?

edited weapons to blocks cause that makes much more sense than my original reply :p
also, I am able to switch from 1-0 while my inventory is open(?) it should be working for you.

Last edited:
umm no, you cannot select a hot keyed item and use it while you have a non-hot keyed item selected from the inventory. Esc must be pressed first. Maybe you are using a mod someone equally as pissed about this design flaw made to change it.

What setting? The settings are nothing but a much of keybinds. This isn't a keybind issue, clearly, its an issue with priority of commands.
Wait, are you saying you're holding an item (like stone, for instance) in your mouse, out of your inventory, and unable to use weapons while doing that? If so of course you can't, holding an item in your mouse is equivalent to having it selected in your hotbar.

Wait, are you saying you're holding an item (like stone, for instance) in your mouse, out of your inventory, and unable to use weapons while doing that? If so of course you can't, holding an item in your mouse is equivalent to having it selected in your hotbar.
So why can't I press a hotkey and have it take priority over ANY OTHER selected item instead of eating my inputs and ignoring that I want to IMMEDIATELY USE that hot-keyed item? It's literally just a matter of adding an ESC command to the front of any 1-0 button press, but this isn't automatic for no reason that is apparent.

So why can't I press a hotkey and have it take priority over ANY OTHER selected item instead of eating my inputs and ignoring that I want to IMMEDIATELY USE that hot-keyed item? It's literally just a matter of adding an ESC command to the front of any 1-0 button press, but this isn't automatic for no reason that is apparent.
You're holding an item. For all intents and purposes that item is selected by you. If you don't want to be attacked then choose the times you're holding blocks more carefully.

You're holding an item. For all intents and purposes that item is selected by you. If you don't want to be attacked then choose the times you're holding blocks more carefully.
nah, I'll just expect the game not to eat any input I ever make and wait for the devs to catch up.

nah, I'll just expect the game not to eat any input I ever make and wait for the devs to catch up.
You have the damn item selected, of course you can't select anything else. You have to deselect your current item first by putting it back in your inventory before you can select something else. Having multiple items selected at the same time makes no sense. The only one who needs to catch up with this incredibly basic concept is you.

I don't see the problem, you can just select items from the 1-0 hotkeys while your inventory is open.
Just not while you're holding an item, because it prioritised the holding item.

There are still enough things to work around with:
- Leaving your most used weapons and blocks in the hotbar.
- Favorite and Right-click the item so it 'drops' back to your inventory and prioritises your last selected item in the hotbar.
- Reassigning the controls, so pressing Esc is less of a deal.
- Using Summons to defend yourself while building.

LOL what a cop out. "Git gud" pfft. This is a massive design fault that completely eats the players input. If I press a hot key there is NEVER a situation where I don't want to immediately use the item on that hot key. Prove me wrong or stfu you dumbass. You making excuses and telling me to get good is so pathetic xD

Last edited:
You have the damn item selected, of course you can't select anything else. You have to deselect your current item first by putting it back in your inventory before you can select something else. Having multiple items selected at the same time makes no sense. The only one who needs to catch up with this incredibly basic concept is you.
What are you trying to build in half the time? The lunar events?
This isn’t a problem at all for me, seriously use summons or get gud
Garak and RandomBuilder, please keep your comments focused on the gameplay issue and not delve into opinions of the personal nature. Telling someone else they need to catch up to a concept and telling them to get gud isn't helping, it just escalates the situation. Also RandomBuilder, although the OP took a shot at you in his most recent message, please don't strike back. Give it the attention it deserves - none.

LOL what a cop out. "Git gud" pfft. This is a massive design fault that completely eats the players input. If I press a hot key there is NEVER a situation where I don't want to immediately use the item on that hot key. Prove me wrong or stfu you dumbass. You making excuses and telling me to get good is so pathetic xD
@GBE, personal attacks such as telling someone to stfu and calling them a dumbass won't be tolerated on these forums. You've got a beef with the controls, fine, and suggest that the game handle the input differently. There's no need for the hostile comments you've been making. Further comments such as this may lead to restrictions against your account. If you want to discuss it further, please send me a private message by clicking the "Start a Conversation" link under my avatar at the bottom.

For anyone stopping by - consider if your comment will help the heated situation here, or if you're better off reading and then moving on. By not feeding the fire, it normally dies out.

Back
Top Bottom