Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Change please

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No (explain why)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Kaladin78

Eye of Cthulhu
This suggestion is mainly just for fun, and all credit for the sprite goes to @Electroman102. We all know the katana right? Incredibly useful for how early in the game it can be acquired. For this idea, I was thinking along the lines of pairing it with frost armor. It can be crafted with one frost core, 13 adamantite/titanium bars, and, of course, the katana at a mythril/orichalcum anvil. Without further ado, here it is...
index.php

I know, the sprite's kinda big, but unfortunately, I'm posting this from a mobile divice, so I have no way to shrink it down any, or paste it in a cleaner way. So just bear with me here. Let's talk of stats. It'd be able to do 45 damage a hit, with an attack speed of 7. Now, I understand that this would make the weapon just a downgrade of fetid bahgnacks so to balance it... Used normally, It would have a 50% chance to inflict the frostburn debuff. Paired with frost armor, however, would give it a 100% chance to inflict frostburn (duh), but the debuff would be stackable up to five. The knockback is pretty average, and the size is about the same as the katana. Best modifier would be legendary. I would still benefit from ALL of the effects of frost armor.

I would like feedback about this, and since it's my first actual suggestion, I'd appreciate comments pointing out any errors or flaws, so long as you strictly keep it constructive criticism. Tell me what you think! Again, credit goes to @Electroman102 for the sprite.

Last edited:
Alright, first of all, the sprite really should not have a black outline. The outline should be a dark shade of whatever the inside color is, so for the blade, that would be navy blue, and on the hilt that would be dark gray. That feedback was directed to you, @Electroman102.

As for the idea itself... well, you are definitely jumping the gun by saying that 30 damage with an attack speed of 7 is overpowered. Fetid Baghnakhs have an attack speed of 6, and deal more than double the amount of damage per hit, while also carrying respectable knockback. Essentially, what you have created here is a vastly inferior version of the Fetid Baghnakhs. It has awful range, poor disruption abilities made even worse by a unique 0% critical strike chance (???), and its DPS is barely better than that of the Crystal Storm.

The ability to inflict Frozen might make up for its other obvious weaknesses, but come to think of it, no weapon currently inflicts the Frozen debuff on enemies. I wonder if it’s even possible to program a mechanic like that?

Basically, what I’m saying is that you pre-emptively nerfed this weapon so hard that no one would ever consider using it. Don’t be afraid to make your content reasonably powerful. Aim for a more balanced weapon; that is to say, make its strengths and weaknesses less extreme.

Alright, first of all, the sprite really should not have a black outline. The outline should be a dark shade of whatever the inside color is, so for the blade, that would be navy blue, and on the hilt that would be dark gray. That feedback was directed to you, @Electroman102.

Sorry, using black outlines is a bad habit of mine

As for the idea itself... well, you are definitely jumping the gun by saying that 30 damage with an attack speed of 7 is overpowered. Fetid Baghnakhs have an attack speed of 6, and deal more than double the amount of damage per hit, while also carrying respectable knockback. Essentially, what you have created here is a vastly inferior version of the Fetid Baghnakhs. It has awful range, poor disruption abilities made even worse by a unique 0% critical strike chance (???), and its DPS is barely better than that of the Crystal Storm.

The ability to inflict Frozen might make up for its other obvious weaknesses, but come to think of it, no weapon currently inflicts the Frozen debuff on enemies. I wonder if it’s even possible to program a mechanic like that?

Basically, what I’m saying is that you pre-emptively nerfed this weapon so hard that no one would ever consider using it. Don’t be afraid to make your content reasonably powerful. Aim for a more balanced weapon; that is to say, make its strengths and weaknesses less extreme.
Thanks, I'll edit it accordingly.
[doublepost=1533813914,1533813628][/doublepost]thanks @Baconfry, its been upgraded a little.

This is a neat idea, but like Baconfry said, it's a bit weak (even after the edit), and the freezing/frostburn bits are a bit odd. Maybe it would be better if it shot out a medium-range lingering frost spark on each swing, and those sparks did more damage the longer they've been out?

This is a neat idea, but like Baconfry said, it's a bit weak (even after the edit), and the freezing/frostburn bits are a bit odd. Maybe it would be better if it shot out a medium-range lingering frost spark on each swing, and those sparks did more damage the longer they've been out?
I don't know much about coding, so tell me if the freezing bit is impossible, but I think it could make the weapon unique. It's weakness is in part because it's available right into hardmode. I'll give the projectile some thought.

I don't know much about coding, so tell me if the freezing bit is impossible, but I think it could make the weapon unique. It's weakness is in part because it's available right into hardmode. I'll give the projectile some thought.
I'm not sure if it would be impossible or not, but the freezing would make the weapon constantly alternate between being completely worthless and completely overpowered. Also, there currently aren't any items that give enemies freezing, and I doubt they would want to add some any time soon.
Edit: One more point, you could also get the Fetid Bagnakhs at the beginning of hardmode as well.

I like this idea, but maybe make it require a Muramasa and frost core, instead of a katana? This would make sense, since the muramasa is water based and the frost core would “freeze it”, and make it an ice katana.

(The normal katana is a pain in the butt to get)

I like this idea, but maybe make it require a Muramasa and frost core, instead of a katana? This would make sense, since the muramasa is water based and the frost core would “freeze it”, and make it an ice katana.

(The normal katana is a pain in the butt to get)
I agree that the Katana is really annoying to get, but I can’t agree to replacing it with the Muramasa. The Muramasa is already used as a crafting ingredient- and for the iconic Night’s Edge and Terra Blade no less.

This weapon doesn’t have to be crafted using an existing one. There is nothing wrong with simply creating one from scratch. (Just like how the Fetid Baghnakhs don’t require a Bladed Glove, Elf Melter doesn’t require a Flamethrower, etc.)

I agree that the Katana is really annoying to get, but I can’t agree to replacing it with the Muramasa. The Muramasa is already used as a crafting ingredient- and for the iconic Night’s Edge and Terra Blade no less.

This weapon doesn’t have to be crafted using an existing one. There is nothing wrong with simply creating one from scratch. (Just like how the Fetid Baghnakhs don’t require a Bladed Glove, Elf Melter doesn’t require a Flamethrower, etc.)

True, but the idea of using a frost core to create a weapon instead of armor was a really good one. (My opinion)
[doublepost=1535413693,1535413557][/doublepost]

I’m sorry, I misread your message. Maybe it could be crafted using cobalt bars? Or a cobalt katana? Along with a frost core?

I know that I contributed to this suggestion (spritewise), but now that I think about it, maybe the Katana could be crafted with a frost core and adamanite/titanium bars. This would make it use the same materials as frost armor.

I know that I contributed to this suggestion (spritewise), but now that I think about it, maybe the Katana could be crafted with a frost core and adamanite/titanium bars. This would make it use the same materials as frost armor.

I partially agree, but I feel like cobalt bats would make more sense, since you can make the cobalt katana, or maybe use that instead.

Back
Top Bottom