I'd like your opinions on my (Future) underground snow base.

Newheim

Terrarian
!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Hey there Terrarians. I'm currently buildling my first real project in Terraria, which is an Underground base to prepare for Hardmode. I'd like your opinions on it and what you'd add to it.

Capture 2016-08-10 (Entrance).png

This is the current "entrance" to the cave. The mine-like hole carved into the mountain to the Right, and the natural cave to the Left.

Capture 2016-08-10 (Entance_Cave).png

First, I thought that I'll build my crafting corner here, but I scrapped that idea and built it below. I don't really know what to do with this "room" now.

Capture 2016-08-10 (Chest room).png

Here is the storage. I don't know if I will need more space in Hardmode, but this little room suits me just fine for the moment. It has even a direct rope that leads to my House.

Capture 2016-08-10 (General_1).png

We're now inside the real base. This is the layout I'm going for: having the rooms in a natural ice caving system.

Capture 2016-08-10 (General_2).png

This is how I will delimit the first houses. I didn't decorate any of them (Expect for the Nurse's) and I plan on doing that after I finish the other houses and the exterior and background decorations.

Capture 2016-08-10 (Main house).png

Now, this is my characters "Home". It has the housing part to the left and on the other side of the tall gate, the crafting/work part of the house. In addition to that, I built a small "Ice hall" below the house to make It unique :)

Capture 2016-08-10 (Underpath-way_1).png

I plan on continuing the base on this side, with the Painter's house.

Capture 2016-08-10 (Underpath-way_2).png

Or on this side with some more background decorations.

PS: thanks to "partiedeux" :http://imgur.com/a/0AmyR
"Remonmasuta" :http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/what-does-your-house-look-like.1283/
and an unknown Terrarian :
v03o22A.png

For the inspiration.

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Last edited:
Your build itself looks really nice. However, I must point out that as those ice walls aren't covered by player placed ones, enemies will spawn in there, which in early hardmode and any sort of invasion or moon, would be a massive problem.

Most of the time if I have an empty room I just fill it in.

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Here's the continuation of the build :

Capture 2016-08-12 22_31_44.png

As you can see, I covered all the empty space by snow walls and I plan on adding some ice walls to It. But I had to use TEdit because the said snow and ice walls are not craftable nor placeable. I also placed some furniture in the Guide's, the Merchant's and the Demolitionist's house and they already moved in.

Capture 2016-08-12 22_33_23.png

Down below, I built a small "cave" for the Goblin Tinkerer, because he doesn't really like humans, but as his goblin people exiled him for being "too smart", he had to find a place to live in.

Capture 2016-08-12 22_39_36.png

On the right is located the Angler's house with a place to fish frozen goodies from. I will decorate this home with fishing quest rewards gradually as I complete them.

Capture 2016-08-12 22_41_31.png

In front of the Demolitionist's house, we meet the Mechanist, with her love for tinkering which shows itself In her cozy place.

Capture 2016-08-12 22_44_43.png

Here is a full picture of the whole place, for now.

Again, thanks for the forum builders for the inspirations such as :

"Mr. Mastodon Farm" 's entry in the most recent Member-run contest.
and "darthmorf" for the advice on the walls !

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Last edited:
Now this is really magnificent.

I like the fact that you used the natural caving and adapt your building style to it. Also the stone brick you use for support on the houses look really nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured that the ice and snow's weight would crush those constructions If they weren't supported :)
Anyway, do you have any idea on what I could add ?

Thanks for the feedback. I figured that the ice and snow's weight would crush those constructions If they weren't supported :)
Anyway, do you have any idea on what I could add ?

Mmh a kind of building I like to add / see on any construction is temple-like structure, only for aesthetic purpose. Since you're doing an ice-cave base maybe this will give you something to work on.
And I noticed one thing that could be missing in my opinion : some kind of garden. Though it's hard to think of how to bring plants in an ice cavern maybe using paint you could create some kind of ice vegetation. I'll be curious what could be made honestly, maybe I'll try it when I'll get the time ^^

And the only thing you're base maybe lack is a little variety to the structure. The form is cool but it's the same material / background everywhere, maybe a little work on that ?

But frankly it's pretty rad already ~:happy:

At the moment, i'm thinking about how to build the Dryad and Witch doctor's home. I'm definitely not gonna do their constructions in the same style as the others.
But when I think about a "mine" per se, I imagine structures built into the walls/cavings that are all the same "design".
And I've already got an idea on how to put a garden in there, just wait and see :) .

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!
Keeping the Updates coming :

Capture 2016-08-15 10_23_58.png

Here's the Clothier and Dye trader's houses/workshops. For now, the former's construction is the biggest. I went ahead and added some details in front of the Dye trader's shop by putting a rope where he hangs pieces of cloth covered in his new dyes.

For the Clothier's shop, I built some sort of clothing shop with mannequins all over. I also hid his room behind a false wall in order to keep his past secret.

Capture 2016-08-15 10_24_30.png

Capture 2016-08-15 10_24_50.png

Capture 2016-08-15 10_25_10.png

I also added Ice walls to the background to make It look more like an Ice cave.

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Last edited:
!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

New update :

Capture 2016-08-15 17_33_03.png

I finally built the Party girl and Painter's house. You can hear Bunny's evergoing party from a mile away, which doesn't really suits her neighbors...
The Painter always tests his brush on the wall before painting. Because of that, his house became quite a mess.

Capture 2016-08-15 17_34_09.png

I've built a surface Mushroom biome in this empty space with Truffle's future house in there. But the problem is that when you're on the wooden "porch" on the surface, the background is a mushroom one, so i'll have to work on that. You can enter the "Mushroomave" via pressure plates.

Capture 2016-08-17 21_31_46.png

Because of the deep hole here, I have arranged a rope bridge which leads to...

Capture 2016-08-17 21_32_17.png

The Omega tree Sanctuary. Here, the Dryad and the Witch doctor combine their nature and tribal magic to maintain the life of this huge sacred tree (which is still in construction).
So they have built this Omega Sanctuary near its roots as It is the last of its kind.
I'm still working on the Dryad's home. The Witch doctor uses his Voodoo magic to keep the fatigue away from him, thereby, he doesn't need a bed (Lazy excuse 'cause I didn't have the place to put one -_o)

!! UPDATES BELOW !!
!! UPDATES BELOW !!

Last edited:
Looking really great. If you have a reddit account us bet the folks there would live to see this.
(If you don't have one I'd be happy to post it on your behalf)

I bet they would have their spine "chilled" from great beauty :naughty: but really, I love it, you did a wonderful creation right there, at first, I really loved it, but the lost photo made me faint ! Keep up the good work, and a last thing, how are you going to present your creation to Redigit ? Remember, they want to hear every good detail, so don't give up !
[doublepost=1471505409,1471505378][/doublepost]Reddit* sorry

Thanks for the kind words !
I'll post the build to Reddit with wide shot of the whole thing, then an individual image of each house or each two houses with how I built them, I guess.
The Omega Sanctuary was particularly hard and time consuming to do :) .

Back
Top Bottom