tModLoader Idea for a mod: Adding more weapons for subclasses

Is it really melee if you throw them?
Yes? You use it with pyhsical strength. It is a spear. Spears are throwables. Not to mention we have Daybreak already. So yeah it is melee. Melee weapons aint necessarily swung or stabbed, lol
And thrown spears would be a good solution, we already have Daybreak which is absolutely cool and better than all the other spears.

The game is very heavily focused on ranged combat, and doesn't hold up well at all when trying to maintain a short distance from the boss without getting hit. Bubble Gun is about the shortest you can feasibly get away with for most bosses, and that thing has ludicrous DPS to make up for it; spears do not, and have even shorter range.

In my opinion, I think Spears should have a thrust attack with Left-Click, and a chargeable throw attack on Right-Click. Thrust should have a lot more DPS, and the Throw attack would be to help keep some damage on the enemy from a distance, since so many are so many bosses are so close-range-unfriendly,  especially Queen Slime.
You explained it

Ok, I am still not going to turn spears into javelins as the first solution. I will look for other solutions first. That and I want to make my mod as vanilla as possible, and vanilla Terraria doesn't have spears be javelins and spears at the same time. I will probably just add a spear that has ludicrous range since for Queen Slime and similar bosses rather than a javelin because those bosses are feasible with just a spear that has longer range. I will see if The Twins are like that. They're a headache for true melee.

The Destroyer can definitely be defeated with ease using the Titanium trident. I don't remember if the same applies to Skeletron prime, but I will try. He doesn't have the same problems as Queen Slime or The Twins.

Ok, I am still not going to turn spears into javelins as the first solution. I will look for other solutions first. That and I want to make my mod as vanilla as possible, and vanilla Terraria doesn't have spears be javelins and spears at the same time. I will probably just add a spear that has ludicrous range since for Queen Slime and similar bosses rather than a javelin because those bosses are feasible with just a spear that has longer range. I will see if The Twins are like that. They're a headache for true melee.

The Destroyer can definitely be defeated with ease using the Titanium trident. I don't remember if the same applies to Skeletron prime, but I will try. He doesn't have the same problems as Queen Slime or The Twins.
All I am saying is that more throwable spears in melee class would be good.
Daybreak is really cool already

All I am saying is that more throwable spears in melee class would be good.
Daybreak is really cool already
You convinced me. I'll probably think of a melee javelins class but it will be different from the spear class.

I'd also be kinda hard to balance since javelins are the same thing as boomerangs. I mean, if we're adding javelins, wouldn't it be better to just add boomerangs instead? Boomerangs solve all your daybreak and javelin issues.

You convinced me. I'll probably think of a melee javelins class but it will be different from the spear class.

I'd also be kinda hard to balance since javelins are the same thing as boomerangs. I mean, if we're adding javelins, wouldn't it be better to just add boomerangs instead? Boomerangs solve all your daybreak and javelin issues.
I do want more boomerangs! An Empress of Light, Solar pillar and Moonlord boomerangs would be nice for me.

I think you are kinda right... Daybreak can be a unique weapon that doesnt have a similar weapon to it. But, If I was making a mod (which, I probably will, I have dreams about it) I would make a "thrown spears" melee subclass dedicated on Daybreak's function. I also have Chained swords and Magical instruments subclass idea!

I do want more boomerangs! An Empress of Light, Solar pillar and Moonlord boomerangs would be nice for me.

I think you are kinda right... Daybreak can be a unique weapon that doesnt have a similar weapon to it. But, If I was making a mod (which, I probably will, I have dreams about it) I would make a "thrown spears" melee subclass dedicated on Daybreak's function. I also have Chained swords and Magical instruments subclass idea!
You'd love the bard class from Thorium. All of their weapons are magical instruments.

They're a class made for supporting other classes in multiplayer.

1714531566826.jpeg

I have made more concept art for adding more pre-mechanical bosses spears in my planned mod.

Rotted fork upgrade
It is an upgrade for the Rotted fork crafted with the Rotted fork, Ichor, Souls of night, Crimtane bars and Tissue sample.
It has fast true melee swings, and it shoots ichor every 2 seconds. The spear melee speed and the rate at which the projectile is shot are different.
The ichor beam pierces 5 enemies. This spear was made with the intention of making pre-mechanical bosses invasions more bearable with the better crowd control due to the piercing of it's ranged projectiles.
It deals less DPS than the Titanium trident and Adamantite glaive.
It's true melee attack is faster than the upgrade for the corruption spear, but it shoots projectiles slower and has more piercing.
The ichor projectile is affected by gravity.

Corruption spear upgrade
It's an upgrade for the Corruption spear. It is crafted with the Corruption spear, Cursed flames, Souls of night, Demonite bars and Shadow scales.
It is slower than the Rotted fork upgrade, but it shoots cursed fireballs every time it swings. Cursed fireballs pierce twice.
The cursed fireball projectiles are affected by gravity and bounce.

Storm spear upgrade
It is crafted with the Storm spear, Forbidden fragments and clouds.
It has more projectile DPS than the Frostband and fires projectiles faster, but it has less range. This weapon has enough range to reach the Twins while they're firing projectiles away from you.
Its projectiles ignore gravity and have high speed, but they disappear after a while.
It has the color scheme of the forbidden armor.

Unicorn spear
It is crafted with Unicorn horn, Pixie dust and Souls of light
It shoots a projectile that doesn't pierce, has extremely long range and ignores gravity.
It has lower DPS than the titanium trident and beam sword

Frost core spear (Halberd)
It is crafted with Frost core and the Titanium Trident/Adamantite Glaive. It inflicts Frostbite on hit, it is a true melee weapon, and it has better range and DPS than the Titanium trident and Adamantite glaive.

(I added this to the original post)

Last edited:
IMG_20240502_163757~2.jpg

IMG_20240502_163746.jpg

Martian Saucer spear
It is dropped by the Martian saucer with the same drop chance as his other weapons
It has longer range than the Starlight and Gungnir but it deals less damage than the Starlight and Horseman's blade.
It swings like the Ghastly glaive, phases through walls and is a true melee weapon

Dungeon drop spear
It shoots a projectile that phases through walls, has long range and ignores gravity
It is a 4% drop chance from the Giant cursed skull

Empress of light spear
A spear dropped from empress of light with the same drop chances as her other weapons.
It will shoot beams that look like the ethereal lance that will act exactly like the beams from the 1.3 Terra blade

Golem spear
A spear dropped by Golem with the same drop chance as his other weapons.
It shoots a beam that ignores gravity and when it hits something, it explodes and sends two wave projectiles that pierce infinitely to the sides. The more you pierce, the less damage you do. Perfect for clearing events.
It might have an aura.
The will be fired at a slower rate than the true melee attack of the spear but it will still be fired quickly.

Back
Top Bottom