Weapons & Equip Improvement to the Staff of the Frost Hydra

With the addition of more sentry minions the staff of the frost hydra lost what made it unique. Don't get me wrong, I think they made a good addition to the game. Well my solution is a variety of attacks.

Long Range: It's normal attack. Good against bosses which are the main things you'll be fighting at a long range.
Medium Range: A breath weapon similar to the flamethrower but it is an icy blue color. An excellent crowd control weapon.
Short Range: It simply bites an enemy quickly, repetitively, and mercilessly. It provides a massive DPS.

Edit: All these attacks inflict frostburn

If you have a better idea for an attack feel free to say it.

With the addition of more sentry minions the staff of the frost hydra lost what made it unique. Don't get me wrong, I think they made a good addition to the game. Well my solution is a variety of attacks.

Long Range: It's normal attack. Good against bosses which are the main things you'll be fighting at a long range.
Medium Range: A breath weapon similar to the flamethrower but it is an icy blue color. An excellent crowd control weapon.
Short Range: It simply bites an enemy quickly, repetitively, and mercilessly. It provides a massive DPS.

This sounds incredible!
First post too yay!

YES! You do know that with the Leaf Crystal buff, Chlorophyte is armor is a mobile, faster and easy to obtain counterpart to the Frost Hydra, and is always active. Why ever use it?

YES! You do know that with the Leaf Crystal buff, Chlorophyte is armor is a mobile, faster and easy to obtain counterpart to the Frost Hydra, and is always active. Why ever use it?
It takes 3 less armor slots? But I see your point. I want this change to be put into place so the staff of the frost hydra would have a unique ability again.

I suppose my perspective is that there isn't any need for the Frost Hydra to be "unique"; with the expansion of the turret minion weapon sub-class, it is now a notable tier holder in a still very limited selection of weapons.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a buff . . . it feels as if it is intended to represent the "HM Dungeon" tier of Summoner weapons, and it just isn't strong enough for that.

While that would be pretty awesome to look at I think it may be too powerful.
Well, when you think about it's tier, and the kind of stuff you would be using it against, I don't think so. Imagine about 4-6 balls against the frost moon or Duke fishron. And I'm not saying they would home in either.

I like the ideas, they're pretty solid, but a few changes I would personally make;

Long Range: Normal attack, perfect as is.
Medium Range: I like the flamethrower effect, but let's limit it so it can only shoot horizontally, making it exclusively a crowd control function. Not like a great deal would get past the long range attack anyway :p
Short Range: Having it bite enemies rapidly is all well and good, but considering that the weapon has 100 base damage, even more with Summoning buffs, let's say that the short range attack KB-locks enemies, but does around half damage. I'm thinking it would have a similar effect to the Spider Staff's minions, which have been potent enough to carry me well into Hardmode.

Well, when you think about it's tier, and the kind of stuff you would be using it against, I don't think so. Imagine about 4-6 balls against the frost moon or Duke fishron. And I'm not saying they would home in either.
A fair point. I'll add it to the post.
I like the ideas, they're pretty solid, but a few changes I would personally make;

Long Range: Normal attack, perfect as is.
Medium Range: I like the flamethrower effect, but let's limit it so it can only shoot horizontally, making it exclusively a crowd control function. Not like a great deal would get past the long range attack anyway :p
Short Range: Having it bite enemies rapidly is all well and good, but considering that the weapon has 100 base damage, even more with Summoning buffs, let's say that the short range attack KB-locks enemies, but does around half damage. I'm thinking it would have a similar effect to the Spider Staff's minions, which have been potent enough to carry me well into Hardmode.
Dealing less damage sounds appropriate for the biting. Though I'll have to say no to the horizontal firing.

I like such idea. This can provide quite a nice asset to the summoner loadout. That said, people defend the summoner as the most versatile class on the grounds it's supposed to use other weapons to add to it's arsenal. Well, I am opposed to the idea of having summoners needing to use things such as flairon and SDMG to make it viable when you have weapons in game that fit the bill of a summoner much more than that of a mage for example. The summoner arsenal definitly needs a revamp. The thrower could have an expansion in the future, but my concern, as well as many others', is the future of the summoner class. I am also thinking on making a suggestion regarding it's stardust guardian asset, however I think it's beaten to death as of now. Ha ha.

I agree, the Staff of the Frost Hydra is a bit underpowered. It is easily outclassed by weapons at that stage, including the other biome weapons. I think that they should either make this buff, or make the weapon available pre-plantera, maybe even pre-mechanical bosses. (Also, the hydra should be given a piercing ability to the long range attack, as well as being able to bite multiple enemies short range, as long as the enemies are close together and on the same side.)

Back
Top Bottom