PC Incredibly fast clocks

ekinator

Empress of Light
So I have been messing around with making a clock that has more activations per second than it is possible with hoiking.
The portal gun turret projectile travels at 348 tiles per second so this means that I can add the projectile pressure plate that activates a 1 second timer and connect all the outputs to a torch and theoretically it would blink so fast the game doesn't display it propperly.(sorry if explained poorly)
When testing if it actually toggles 348 times per second, the results weren't consistent. They were between 342 and 344.

this is a part of the circuit:
TQSWKSy.png

F6cpdgs.png

the full size:
vvh4QRl.png

The gif shows one of the test results and just how fast it sends the signals:
g61VTVE.gif

The method isn't something I would have thought of, but it is very similar in concept to the ancient bird engines depicted on the dungeon walls. As for whether it's faster than the more conventional 60 ticks per second hoik engines is up for @ZeroGravitas to decide. I myself doubt it is.

Pretty sweet. I can't think of anything I'd personally use this for though. Although pumps don't have any cool down so you could pump liquids crazy fast for a liquid duplication machine.

The method isn't something I would have thought of, but it is very similar in concept to the ancient bird engines depicted on the dungeon walls. As for whether it's faster than the more conventional 60 ticks per second hoik engines is up for @ZeroGravitas to decide. I myself doubt it is.
I don't really know how to prove it even further the gif shows that is the amount of times it toggles per second, theoretically they can be stacked together to make even faster toggle rates (haven't tested it though)
[doublepost=1476120884,1476120228][/doublepost]
Pretty sweet. I can't think of anything I'd personally use this for though. Although pumps don't have any cool down so you could pump liquids crazy fast for a liquid duplication machine.
I have a circuit that I am making at the moment that needs a clock like this
Also if we are able to make it fast enough so the game renders the output seemingly constant it would mean, for example, a revolution for ingame LED matrix displays (inspired by this thread)

Last edited:
I don't really know how to prove it even further the gif shows that is the amount of times it toggles per second, theoretically they can be stacked together to make even faster toggle rates (haven't tested it though)

Though it is understood that the portal beam travels well over sixty pressure plates per second, the game only runs at 60fps, so I wonder if all those hundreds of activations actually happen.

Though it is understood that the portal beam travels well over sixty pressure plates per second, the game only runs at 60fps, so I wonder if all those hundreds of activations actually happen.
It seems that all components that don't have an activation cooldown disobey the limits of the game speed.
The 60fps rule only applies to movable entities as they can't be moved any faster than the set game speed.
[doublepost=1476170759,1476166224][/doublepost]I hooked up two of these together and if they are activated at the same time, the output is rendered constant, but when hooked up to a counter it counts 686 activations per second. For all the non-believers I will provide a world download to see for themselves and maybe this could be useful for something.

Attachments

• Fast_clocks.wld
    49.4 KB · Views: 158
I have done a few crazy things like this using the portal gun turret. But there really isn't anything I need to tick this fast. XD
What would you use something like this for?

I have done a few crazy things like this using the portal gun turret. But there really isn't anything I need to tick this fast. XD
What would you use something like this for?
I am 100% sure that there will be someone that could use it for something.
An example would be the auto aiming turrets that I made. It's the main mechanism determining how fast the cannon is set in the correct position.(not shown in the images)

That's amazing! I always thought that the one pulse per tick limit on logic gates applied in all cases. It seems that, with a clock like this, there's no limit to how fast a mechanism can run. I tested how well the clock would interact with a more complex logic device (in my case, a demultiplexer) connected to the counter, and I found that not a single logic gate fizzled, meaning that this clock won't even break logic gates! Have you tested whether or not you can add even more rows to the clock to further increase its speed?

Have you tested whether or not you can add even more rows to the clock to further increase its speed?
Yes, I have. I added a second row and it worked as expected , but when I added a third one the game mechanics started bugging out. I think it's because of the huge amount of 1 second timers, they exceeded some kind of limit and the effect was that the timer for the counter wouldn't get deactivated as it should.

Yes, I have. I added a second row and it worked as expected , but when I added a third one the game mechanics started bugging out. I think it's because of the huge amount of 1 second timers, they exceeded some kind of limit and the effect was that the timer for the counter wouldn't get deactivated as it should.
so, can you provide a schematic for this timer, I have an idea and I want to see if it works with this timer. (already works with a 60 tick hoik timer)

so, can you provide a schematic for this timer, I have an idea and I want to see if it works with this timer. (already works with a 60 tick hoik timer)
The site won't let me upload a tedit schematic so you will have to copy and paste it from the world I uploaded a few posts above.

Back
Top Bottom