Is it safe to eat straight flour?

Hie the Badger

The Destroyer
I have some flour and I feel like eating some right now. Normally I use flour in things I cook but it looks so clean and delicious.

I don't think it would be unsafe, but it might be difficult to digest. If you haven't got type 2 diabetes, or celiac sprue or other ailments that result in gluten intolerance, I can't imagine it would do any harm. Just remember it's heavy in carbohydrates, so lots of calories and not much of other kinds of nutrition.

If you've got some shortening, milk, and salt, you could make a pie crust to fill with wonderful things. Chocolate chess pies are very easy to make and delicious, like a cross between fudge and custard. Ohhhh, now I want to make one. BRB.

[eta] Too hot to bother baking this evening, maybe tomorrow morning. Got enough all-purpose flour here to make several hundred pies, and enough bread flour to feed Napoleon's army on baguettes. I buy it at a historic old mill (I think it was rebuilt on the site where Patrick Henry had grain from his nearby farm milled), load 50-pound sacks into our car at the loading dock that usually serves huge trucks. Great fun, except when it's raining and there are puddles of thin batter all around the loading area.

Last edited:
Great. Because I already ate some. Also making a pie crust would not be eating it straight. That would be a pie crust. However delicious it may be it is not in fact straight flour.

Also. Is gluten intolerance really a thing? Like really really a thing? Or is it just. "DA NEWZ SED ITS BAD"

Great. Because I already ate some. Also making a pie crust would not be eating it straight. That would be a pie crust. However delicious it may be it is not in fact straight flour.

Also. Is gluten intolerance really a thing? Like really really a thing? Or is it just. "DA NEWZ SED ITS BAD"
Yeah it is, so is an allergy to gluten.

Sure, people with some conditions can't eat gluten without being subjected to serious agony.

However, there's a silly fad of people who are not medically gluten-intolerant going on a gluten-free kick just because someone (like da newz, yup) said they should. Bad idea. Gluten-free foods aren't just more costly, they usually have more calories too. Plus gluten is a protein, which isn't a bad thing to have in one's diet.

Then eat and enjoy. Ideally not straight up, but if you feel like doing that, no harm will befall you.

Oops wrong idea.
Yes it is safe,but you may get an upset stomach.It is even more painful if you mix with water.

Straight flour's fine, it's the self-raising flour you have to look out for

Last edited:
Straight flour's fine, it's the <removed by staff> flour you have to look out for
Please avoid using that word in that manner. It's considered insensitive. Use the 'Starte a conversation' button under my avatar if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom