Working as Designed Is there a bug with teleporters?

deedoubleu

Terrarian
Reddit seems to be mostly for low effort memes and at steam discussions thread is buried in 1-2 hours without replies. Hopefully official forums will be the right place for this.

I want to make a system that teleports my character when I'm stepping up on platform above it, but for some reason it doesn't work.
The teleporter itself is functional and will work for NPCs or when operated by switch or walking over plate. Issue seems to be with teleporting while stepping up. I tried to use phone to teleport while moving up and down on platforms and it did work, so it seems like teleporting a player while moving on platforms is technically possible.

So am I doing something wrong here or is it a bug?

WORLD FILE

This does look like a bug, or at least some sort of weird effect so I'll move it to the bug reports section for you where it will get looked over by ReLogic QA :)

Well . . . this is a super specific scenario, but I'll log it :)

Thanks for the report!
Thank you.
Eventhough this issue doesn't affect majority of players it prevents me from creating door that allows player to walk around as usual and only activated when standing in doorway and pressing "UP", kinda like shops and indoors in general worked in old console games. No one will ever notice, but at least 2(!) builders will be happy if this gets fixed.

Odd that this got set to [reported], because in 1.3.1 it was intended behavior that player above sensors don't teleport players(without minor shenanigans).

Oh, you know what.

You are right. I missed that the sensor didn't work at ALL in the video. I thought it was only not working when he did the step-up.

In that case, you are correct @pbq, this should not be working. Its been a while, I forgot about that.

Sorry @deedoubleu, looks like this is working as intended after all.

Oh, you know what.

You are right. I missed that the sensor didn't work at ALL in the video. I thought it was only not working when he did the step-up.

In that case, you are correct @pbq, this should not be working. Its been a while, I forgot about that.

Sorry @deedoubleu, looks like this is working as intended after all.
As I understand, as long as sensor_above is in the same setup as teleporter it won't work, correct? I mean, even if sensor is controlling on/off light which is checked by AND gate?
Is it intended for weighted plate to not teleport players too?

Last edited:
@pbq you look like a guy to bother about this. I checked gamepedia for both: teleporter and sensor and can't find info about that combo being dysfunctional by design. Is there other place where I can check this kind of stuff? For example, weighted plate seems to be another case, but again - gamepedia doesn't say if this is intended or an oversight.

At this point I'm just curious. Managed to workaround initial problem and got myself an UP-operated door.

EDIT: Either there is something wrong with weighted plate or I'm completely missing the way it is supposed to work. Atm it won't teleport me, but will teleport back when released... Would be easier to show.

Same thing doesn't work with player_above sensor, that little bugger consistently refuses to cooperate, as you said it should.

Last edited:
There was some talk about this in that thread: An Official Introduction to Terrarian 1.3.1 Wiring & Mechanics

In general, if player above sensor or weighted pressure plate gets activated during a wire activation, then player is prevented from being teleported, don't recall if it was for that wire activation only, or for the whole game tick.

Workaround for that is making sensor/plate activate a mechanism that activates the teleporter after a short while.
If you're "lazy" and can tolerate 3.3(?) delay between(not after) consecutive activations, you can make trigger activate a dart trap, that in turn will activate teal pressure pad which in turn will activate teleporters.
If for some reason you need rapidly reusable system, you can make a teleporter+damage dummy+hoiks setup for 1 tick delay between activations(i assume dummies still work, only used myself as a dummy in the engine in 1.4 sofar)
There's been threads about this, and iirc at least one of them survived forum migration, so search is your friend here.

There was some talk about this in that thread: An Official Introduction to Terrarian 1.3.1 Wiring & Mechanics

In general, if player above sensor or weighted pressure plate gets activated during a wire activation, then player is prevented from being teleported, don't recall if it was for that wire activation only, or for the whole game tick.

Workaround for that is making sensor/plate activate a mechanism that activates the teleporter after a short while.
If you're "lazy" and can tolerate 3.3(?) delay between(not after) consecutive activations, you can make trigger activate a dart trap, that in turn will activate teal pressure pad which in turn will activate teleporters.
If for some reason you need rapidly reusable system, you can make a teleporter+damage dummy+hoiks setup for 1 tick delay between activations(i assume dummies still work, only used myself as a dummy in the engine in 1.4 sofar)
There's been threads about this, and iirc at least one of them survived forum migration, so search is your friend here.
Thanks. It makes more sense now.

Tried darts, birds, timers and dummy. Dummy seems to be most reliable overall, though lazy darts approach might be beneficial in my case since it leaves a lot of time to move away from teleporter without complex rubberband protection.

Odd that this got set to [reported], because in 1.3.1 it was intended behavior that player above sensors don't teleport players(without minor shenanigans).
Why is that intended? They say this is a sandbox game to have fun in, but stupid restrictions like that do not make sense.

It was related to bugs, where triggering the player sensor would teleport you, but the de-triggering of the player sensor would teleport you, which would re-trigger the player sensor, etc.

Its not an arbitrary restriction.

It was related to bugs, where triggering the player sensor would teleport you, but the de-triggering of the player sensor would teleport you, which would re-trigger the player sensor, etc.

Its not an arbitrary restriction.
.. and the bugs weren't fixable?

.. and the bugs weren't fixable?
they fixed an infinite loop by making the loop not start, and you have more than a dozen options for work-arounds.
so, they were fixable, and fixed.

EDIT#2: Read next post lol.

there's actually a much easier way to do this than with a trap or a logic block- Just have the player-above activate a 1/2 second timer or a 1/4 second timer with one wire color, and do the teleport with another color. The first activation of the player above will turn the timer on, the timer will activate and the 2nd signal from the player above will deactivate the timer. Simple simple.

edit: So I didn't really know the up to move up a platform thing was a thing (yeah, 1.0 terraria veteran with 4000ish hours in game here :p )... or, atleast, I didn't ever think of it as an activation method for teleporters, so I went in and threw something together that demonstrates my idea. Blue wire is tele. green wire is player detector. if it's 2 way, both sides player detector have to go through the same timer or you have to run 2 teleporter wires, either way the distance has to be covered by 2 colors. I could get around that with an 'and' logic block or an if logic block easily- player sensor into timer into 'faulty logic lamp' on an if block(and block?) for both teleporters and teleporter wire goes from one if block through both teleporters to the other if block.
sorry for the crap quality gif. I should have just uploaded to youtube.

Attachments

• teleport3.gif
    teleport3.gif
    5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
so, a further update, You don't need more than 1 color. just have the sensor wire go through the portals(exactly as you already have it) and put a timer on the wire anywhere. (I literally facepalmed when I realized that the sensor won't teleport you but it will activate the timer and subsequently deactivate the timer..)

I also didn't note, but did show: It's important that one is above and one is below or when you teleport the receiving player sensor will activate.

Attachments

• telport4.gif
    telport4.gif
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom