Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PikaXFreak

Plantera
I just don't understand why they decided to release 1.3 before Linux/Mac ports were available. Windows users were always able to play Terraria while Linux/Mac users weren't, so why, when they said they planned to release around the same time as 1.3, did they decide to release it to windows users (Who already had Terraria, just not 1.3) and then tell us to wait patiently for another month.

WHAT!? HOW IS THAT FAIR!?

Do they know how hard it is to cut myself off from this community for a week, let alone a month, so that I don't spoil anything? As soon as I heard it was the END of July, I just said, "well, :red: it then..." and went to watch some vids of OTHER people playing the update.

If you can't tell already, I'm just a little bit pissed off. No disrespect intended to the developers. They could have just forgotten about any of us Linux/Mac users, but they decided to acknowledge us. I just don't get why they decided to do something so unfair.

It's not about it being fair, or unfair. Linux/Mac updates probably require alot more work because I am assuming when Terraria was first created, it was for windows PC's. It's taking longer to get ready for a reason. It's better to release it much later and have it working properly, than releasing it prematurely and it being so ridden with issues that it's not playable at all.

It's not about it being fair, or unfair. Linux/Mac updates probably require alot more work because I am assuming when Terraria was first created, it was for windows PC's. It's taking longer to get ready for a reason. It's better to release it much later and have it working properly, than releasing it prematurely and it being so ridden with issues that it's not playable at all.

That's not the point. I get that there's a big difference between Unix and... whatever Windows uses. The point I'm trying to make is that they could have waited until Linux/Mac ports were released to release 1.3.

To be honest, the ports are like the updates, I would rather have a late but working and stable update over an early but broken and messy one. The same applies to the ports.

To be honest, the ports are like the updates, I would rather have a late but working and stable update over an early but broken and messy one. The same applies to the ports.

Mac and Linux require a bit more work to run efficiently. To ensure that we don't release a buggy laggy mess we decided to take a bit longer on mac.

Again, the point I'm making is why not release 1.3 and Mac/Linux ports at the same time rather than give users who could ALREADY play the game an update when we're just sitting around with our eyes closed so we don't accidentally see something we don't want to see.

Again, the point I'm making is why not release 1.3 and Mac/Linux ports at the same time rather than give users who could play the game ALREADY an update when we're just sitting around with our eyes closed so we don't accidentally see something we don't want to see.
We have stated for several months now that they would not release together. We wanted to release the update first and fix all game breaking bugs prior to release of Mac/Linux. Our Mac/Linux programmer has been incredibly busy and we want him to be able to dedicate himself 100% to Mac/Linux when the time comes. I apologize that you do not like our decision but we stand by it.

Also, on the flip side- Couldn't you say that it wouldn't be fair to PC owners to withhold the update for Mac/Linux people. ;)

We have stated for several months now that they would not release together. We wanted to release the update first and fix all game breaking bugs prior to release of Mac/Linux. Our Mac/Linux programmer has been incredibly busy and we want him to be able to dedicate himself 100% to Mac/Linux when the time comes. I apologize that you do not like our decision but we stand by it.

Also, on the flip side- Couldn't you say that it wouldn't be fair to PC owners to withhold the update for Mac/Linux people. ;)

On your point that it could be unfair not to release it for Windows: No. We would both have to wait for it anyway. They could already play Terraria while we couldn't even have that.

On your other point: I did not think about that. Touché.

They're a business, not a charity. Businesses make decisions based on business forces and business logic. Neither of those says "keep the majority of your user base cooling their heels so this much smaller market segment won't be irritated at waiting longer than the majority did" would be a good idea.

Even so, they're giving everyone with a license the update free. In fact, owners of the Steam version even get the Mac and/or Linux versions free (just one to be used at a time).

So no, I think the way they've handled this is quite fair indeed.

Again, the point I'm making is why not release 1.3 and Mac/Linux ports at the same time rather than give users who could ALREADY play the game an update when we're just sitting around with our eyes closed so we don't accidentally see something we don't want to see.
This is just jealousy. JEALOUSY IS BAD M'KAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom