PC Issue(?) with 7 segment display and reset mechanism:

Rybek

Terrarian
I seem to be making a habit of these posts, so why stop?
N.B: I do play modded Terraria, but that shouldn't affect anything.
Anyway, I've been working on a 7 segment numerical display, and I've run into a small issue with my reset mechanism. To display a number, you flick the switch assigned to it, which toggles AND gates that then output to the display. Since this means I have to manually reset every active switch to display the current number, I installed a reset mechanism, also using AND gates. The purpose of this is to automatically reset any active switches whenever another is flipped. Here's a rough explanation of how it works. Also, in case you don't understand my notation, the number represents when it happens, the letter helps differentiate between different processes.
1)Switch "x" is flipped
A2)Up to 4 different AND gates (out of 7 total, one for each segment of the display) are toggled depending on the number chosen
A3)AND gates then send the signal down a wire which is connected to each AND gate along that column, and outputs to the display
A4)The number is shown on the display
B2)A signal is sent to a reset mechanism, toggling the top lamp of that rows reset AND gate, as well as the bottom lamp of the other rows reset AND gates(Default position is both off)
B3)If another number was already displayed, then the activation of its bottom lamp means that the AND gate activates(in case you're confused, the top lamp is already on, due to the number currently being displayed)
C3)If another number is already displayed, then all the rows not activated have their bottom lamp toggled off again
B4)The AND gate resets, and sends a signal back down the wire to toggle the AND gates off again, effectively doing my job for me, and turning off the previous switch

Now the issue is,that when I go from one number to another, although it does reset, it resets completely, making the number I went to a sort of "new default" for the display. One thing I also would like help on, but is less pressing, is that to transition again, I need to prime the reset gate again, so I effectively flick switch "x" twice when going "y" --> "x" --> "z" , which gets tiring. Anyway, back to the "default" problem. In a nutshell, the reset gates turn both lamps off again, while the display is showing a number other than 0. Therefore, when I input another number, it toggles the torches it needs to toggle to get from 0 to that number, instead of the torches it needs to toggle to get from "x" to that number, so I get some pretty weird digits.
Here is my design:
Capture 2019-02-08 18_02_08.png

Capture 2019-02-08 18_02_26.png

Nearly forgot, the switches begin at 1 at the bottom, and go up to 9. I omitted 0, since I figured my reset mechanism would suffice, but clearly not. Might try adding a 0 switch to help, but the default setting would still change. Any ideas on how to keep the default at a set number unless I want to change it, in case, oh, I don't know, I flip a lever and input a number to be the new default?

P.S. The images might not show, since I can't seem to preview them.

Instead of resetting the input, you can reset the output. Turn all lights off first when you make an input, then the input can set the lights to the state they should be.

Instead of resetting the input, you can reset the output. Turn all lights off first when you make an input, then the input can set the lights to the state they should be.
How would I get it to turn off the correct torches? Would my current system do, with minor alterations?

To reset the output use an AND gate with an off gate and a faulty gate on each output wire with all the faulty gates wired to a reset switch
Your current setup is fine but it is a bit in-optimal
Capture 2019-02-09 17_28_44.pngCapture 2019-02-09 17_28_53.png

fZVHqDKrcgeU51pL9

Last edited:
To reset the output use an AND gate with an off gate and a faulty gate on each output wire with all the faulty gates wired to a reset switch
Your current setup is fine but it is a bit in optimal
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fZVHqDKrcgeU51pL9
fZVHqDKrcgeU51pL9
So my entire reset system is redundant? I think your reset switch will work best if I also rearrange my setup vertically, so the output is horizontal. I'll get into my world and try it. Thanks for the help.

So, I've installed a reset switch, and made the circuit vertical, and although the reset switch works, it doesn't transition from number to number. Would simply connecting every switch to the reset one fix that?
EDIT: I've done that, but I had a snealking suspicion that it would cancel all inputs due to a double pulse, which was confirmed when i tried it out, so that idea clearly won't work. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
This seems to be working... i just hooked up all the switches to a reset
Oh and it goes from the bottom up 1234567890 but that wouldn’t be hard to change
Faulty logic gates are amazing
Capture 2019-02-10 07_51_30.png Capture 2019-02-10 07_51_21.png BTW: how do you do spoiler tags? I would've inserted full images but i didn't want to take up too much space

Last edited:
For spoilers, insert button, then spoilers. Put stuff between the tags, and abracadabra, its a spoiler.

And about your design, its virtually identical to mine, but mine doesn't seem to work. When I get on Terraria in the morning I'll double check my set up, and try to find where I went wrong.

Yeah I modelled my design off what you did but without your fancy reset mechanism using my own instead.
I've always been a bit averse to faulty logic gate lamps, simply because I don't understand them, but I have to admit, they seem to be extremely handy.

Faulty lamps (I think) have a chance of activation based on other lamps
For instance with one off and one on lamp the faulty lamp would have a 50% activation chance but when you use a faulty lamp with only one other lamp it has a 100% chance of being what the other one is basically alllowing for storage of values. In the reset mechanism above the wires just store if they have been activated and then when you want to change numbers they reset the output before sending a new input.
And if there were two ON lamps and one OFF lamp then the chance would be 66% ON and 33% OFF upon activation

So the reset means that only active torches have their faulty lamps toggled, I see now. I've got to start using them more often. They'd be great in a maths quiz minigame, or multiple choice answers, since it can randomize it within certain parameters, and even exact control over percentages. Anyway, I'll make sure to let you know if the reset works after slight tinkering on my part.

Glad to help! I do wonder what you plan to do with this except in a minigame or computer. Hope it works for you.

Glad to help! I do wonder what you plan to do with this except in a minigame or computer. Hope it works for you.
I'm going into the world now, and as for what I'm planning, I'm pretty proud of it, to say the least. Its going to be a hoik elevator with multiple destinations that can be chosen, and the display is going to show which floor the player currently using the elevator is on. I was planning to make it multi-launch(i.e. multiple people in the elevator at once, with different destinations), but I couldn't find a way to get it to toggle the floors on time, without stopping someone elses journey. Also planning to make a melee weapon speed reader, such as @SovereignVis made in their Ranged weapon speed reader, which is shown in @ChippyGaming 's video here. I couldn't find the original thread, so sorry about that. Anyway, time to test the display!

Okay, so I've gotten it to sort of work. Since my new set up is vertical(i.e. my logic circuits for each number go down instead of across), I don't have the luxury of a spare wire colour to run through each switch all the way to the reset, and still having that colour in the reset. My way around this is an AND gate with an on logic gate lamp, and a faulty logic gate lamp(you were right when you said they were amazing), both connected to an input wire from the switches. The output of the gate then leads to the reset mechanism, and toggles the current number off. Now here's the problem. When I flick a switch, then another, the reset works, but it completely turns off my display. Therefore, if I go from 1 to 2, I have to flick 2 twice, since the display toggled. The solution would be some sort of double pulse sent to the correct logic gates, but I can't fathom how I would go about that.

Can you send an image of your setup? It’s a bit hard to visualise what is wrong and how to fix it without any point of reference.

Try adding one AND gate on the reset line, just one lamp with the current reset output going into the lamp and its output going into the RESET as a buffer of about 1 tick
Edit: Oh its the output that needs a buffer whoops because of your T flip flop that is buffering a tick or so that means the RESET is activated after the OUTPUT

Last edited:
Try adding one AND gate on the reset line, just one lamp with the current reset output going into the lamp and its output going into the RESET as a buffer of about 1 tick
Edit: Oh its the output that needs a buffer whoops because of your T flip flop that is buffering a tick or so that means the RESET is activated after the OUTPUT
So it should work if I buffer the outputs for the display? If so, does where I place it matter, or can it be anywhere? Its getting a bit crowded in there

Back
Top Bottom