Game Mechanics It's Time to Update Prefixes

Rate this suggestion.

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually, here's some more constructive feedback, instead...

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Kefke

Steampunker
Terraria's prefix system is great. It adds some variety to getting the same items playthrough after playthrough, and it lets each player prioritize what they think is important. However, it's also horribly outdated. There are two entire "classes" that didn't exist when all the prefixes were worked out, for a start. Accessories have always had bonus mana for mages, and swing speed for melee, but nothing to specifically to offer ranged...and now nothing specifically for minions (which don't need the extra mana) nor thrown weapons, the latter of which particularly needs something, as most throwing weapons cannot have modifiers (more on this further down).

Let's start with ranged and throwing. We'll use the concept of a favourable wind as our inspiration here.

• Drafting +1%* Projectile Flight
  • Breezing - +2%* Projectile Flight
  • Gusting - +3%* Projectile Flight
  • Blustering - +4%* Projectile Flight

* All numbers subject to official testing and rebalancing.

In practical terms, what this would actually mean is reduced projectile falloff for most projectiles.
They would fly straighter, slightly farther, and maybe even a little faster. While neither specifically ranged, nor specifically throwing, it serves the same role for both as swing speed for the various melee weapons. It lets ranged characters use their weapons more effectively.

So what about summons? What can be given to them? Well, I actually have two thoughts; one in the form of something that is useful to almost all classes, in much the same way as critical hits are not useful to summoners, and one specifically for them.

• Weighted - 5%* Increased Knockback
  • Balanced - 10%* Increased Knockback

This benefits mages, summoners, "rangers", and throwers, all of whom are well served by keeping foes at a distance. It is of significantly less use to melee fighters, as they generally want to keep their opponent close enough for follow-up attacks. It's still of some use to them, as not enough knockback means taking hits, but of reduced value since too much means missing attacks. The numbers here go up dramatically because the thresholds between different "levels" of knockback can be significant. Yes, this does mean that someone specializing could nearly double the knockback of their weapon. However, the question becomes how often do even the more fragile classes need that much knockback?

• Stirring - +1%* Minion Aggression
  • Motivating - +2%* Minion Aggression
  • Rallying - +3%* Minion Aggression
  • Inspiring - +4%* Minion Aggression

Minion Aggression would affect how often a minion attacks, and might also increase either the range at which it will acquire targets, the accuracy with which it attacks, or simply how fast the minion moves in general. Thus, it would be able to increase the effectiveness of minions, without simply increasing the number or boosting their damage. It would not make them more powerful (aside from getting in more attacks, which is on par with an increase to melee speed), but rather more reliable.

Of course, summon weapons in particular could use their own set of prefixes, since often the general magic ones are inadequate. Rather than suggesting specific prefixes for this, however, let me suggest some things of specific value to summoners that could be raised or lowered by different modifiers, beyond just the usual damage and knockback stuff.

• Minion Speed; Since the minions do the fighting, the sooner they can get in position to fight, the better they're doing their job.
  • Minion Attack Speed; Once again, the more hits the minion gets in, the better it's diong...generally (looking at you, Slime Staff).
  • Minion Accuracy; Perhaps this one doesn't need to be a stat, but I've seen them miss often enough. Note I am not folding this into attack rate here as I suggested doing with Accessory prefixes, as there I feel more of a buff is needed, without flooding the number of prefixes, while here the key is to allow for more variety.
  • Target Acquisition Range; I actually feel it's more of a benefit to have this be lowered, after all the times my supposed protectors have abandoned me.
I'd be tempted to factor in an "Intelligence" stat as well, to govern the likelihood of a minion prioritizing the biggest threat (within X distance, target bosses, else go after the nearest enemy), but I think that's too subjective. Better to either have all minions be smart, or add an item players can purchase to mark a specific target.

Back on topic, there's one last thing I need to discuss as a part of this overhaul -Stack Reforging

Stack Reforging is exactly what it says on the tin. When you use the Goblin Tinkerer to apply prefixes, he should let you place any number of stackable weapons, from Light Disks to Shurikens, into the reforge slot, and apply the same prefix to all of them at once. Such items would never have a prefix unless you reforged them, and would only get general prefixes, but would stack with any weapons of the same kind with which they share a prefix. The cost for reforging would go up depending on how many items in the stack, though the "unit price" for stackable weapons would also be lower to take into account the fact that players would be processing them in bulk, and that most are consumables. Note, however, that this would not apply to regular ammunition, only to things that can be used as a weapon in their own right. The purpose is to allow throwers to make use of the same buffing options as other class, not to let ranged players "pile it on" for damage.

Last edited:
I haven't added anything to this since June. Today I finally got to see feedback on it. My thoughts on this being a needed change haven't wavered, though. I still believe that, with new play styles being added, prefixes just feel more and more like a relic of an earlier build that hasn't kept up with the rest of the game.

Terraria's prefix system is great. It adds some variety to getting the same items playthrough after playthrough, and it lets each player prioritize what they think is important. However, it's also horribly outdated. There are two entire "classes" that didn't exist when all the prefixes were worked out, for a start. Accessories have always had bonus mana for mages, and swing speed for melee, but nothing to specifically to offer ranged...and now nothing specifically for minions (which don't need the extra mana) nor thrown weapons, the latter of which particularly needs something, as most throwing weapons cannot have modifiers (more on this further down).

Let's start with ranged and throwing. We'll use the concept of a favourable wind as our inspiration here.

• Drafting +1%* Projectile Flight
  • Breezing - +2%* Projectile Flight
  • Gusting - +3%* Projectile Flight
  • Blustering - +4%* Projectile Flight

In practical terms, what this would actually mean is reduced projectile falloff for most projectiles.
They would fly straighter, slightly farther, and maybe even a little faster. While neither specifically ranged, nor specifically throwing, it serves the same role for both as swing speed for the various melee weapons. It lets ranged characters use their weapons more effectively.

So what about summons? What can be given to them? Well, I actually have two thoughts; one in the form of something that is useful to almost all classes, in much the same way as critical hits are not useful to summoners, and one specifically for them.

• Weighted - 5%* Increased Knockback
  • Balanced - 10%* Increased Knockback

This benefits mages, summoners, "rangers", and throwers, all of whom are well served by keeping foes at a distance. It is of significantly less use to melee fighters, as they generally want to keep their opponent close enough for follow-up attacks. It's still of some use to them, as not enough knockback means taking hits, but of reduced value since too much means missing attacks. The numbers here go up dramatically because the thresholds between different "levels" of knockback can be significant. Yes, this does mean that someone specializing could nearly double the knockback of their weapon. However, the question becomes how often do even the more fragile classes need that much knockback?

• Stirring - +1%* Minion Aggression
  • Motivating - +2%* Minion Aggression
  • Rallying - +3%* Minion Aggression
  • Inspiring - +4%* Minion Aggression

Minion Aggression would affect how often a minion attacks, and might also increase either the range at which it will acquire targets, the accuracy with which it attacks, or simply how fast the minion moves in general. Thus, it would be able to increase the effectiveness of minions, without simply increasing the number or boosting their damage. It would not make them more powerful (aside from getting in more attacks, which is on par with an increase to melee speed), but rather more reliable.

Of course, summon weapons in particular could use their own set of prefixes, since often the general magic ones are inadequate. Rather than suggesting specific prefixes for this, however, let me suggest some things of specific value to summoners that could be raised or lowered by different modifiers, beyond just the usual damage and knockback stuff.

• Minion Speed; Since the minions do the fighting, the sooner they can get in position to fight, the better they're doing their job.
  • Minion Attack Speed; Once again, the more hits the minion gets in, the better it's diong...generally (looking at you, Slime Staff).
  • Minion Accuracy; Perhaps this one doesn't need to be a stat, but I've seen them miss often enough. Note I am not folding this into attack rate here as I suggested doing with Accessory prefixes, as there I feel more of a buff is needed, without flooding the number of prefixes, while here the key is to allow for more variety.
  • Target Acquisition Range; I actually feel it's more of a benefit to have this be lowered, after all the times my supposed protectors have abandoned me.
I'd be tempted to factor in an "Intelligence" stat as well, to govern the likelihood of a minion prioritizing the biggest threat (within X distance, target bosses, else go after the nearest enemy), but I think that's too subjective. Better to either have all minions be smart, or add an item players can purchase to mark a specific target.

Back on topic, there's one last thing I need to discuss as a part of this overhaul -Stack Reforging

Stack Reforging is exactly what it says on the tin. When you use the Goblin Tinkerer to apply prefixes, he should let you place any number of stackable weapons, from Light Disks to Shurikens, into the reforge slot, and apply the same prefix to all of them at once. Such items would never have a prefix unless you reforged them, and would only get general prefixes, but would stack with any weapons of the same kind with which they share a prefix. The cost for reforging would go up depending on how many items in the stack, though the "unit price" for stackable weapons would also be lower to take into account the fact that players would be processing them in bulk, and that most are consumables. Note, however, that this would not apply to regular ammunition, only to things that can be used as a weapon in their own right. The purpose is to allow throwers to make use of the same buffing options as other class, not to let ranged players "pile it on" for damage.
It's an extremely good idea, but there should be negative prefixes as well! Maybe "slothful" could reduce minion agression, etc!

That's a fair point. I think that I originally avoided that side of things because people always tend to like things that let them do cool things more than things that make the game harder.

It's a but unusual that melee gets a special set of effects as Wild - Violent. And while I like the idea of more prefixes, I think many people would be annoyed by having to go through more prefixes to get the one I want. So on that note, perhaps a way to 'restrict' the available prefixes? Maybe base it on the armour the user is wearing or something? Or reduce the cost of reforging? Hmm...

No negative prefixes though please. Accessories don't have them and adding them would probably lead to a backlash.

It also struck me as unusual that Arcane was unique in being the only modifier that improves mana. How about modifiers for +10 mana and +30 mana? Modifiers for +10 - +50 HP? Modifiers that increase the max minions? Special modifiers that bestow permanent effect? E.g. Glowing: Gives the player the effect of the Shine Potion so long as the accessory is equipped. But maybe that's something for another thread.

I'm fairly certain that the intent of negative prefixes was for weapons, which already get them, even though I didn't really address weapon prefixes in my initial post due to their added complexity. For those, getting prefixes appropriate to what you're reforging already exists as well.

As for reforging accessories...well, that might be a subject for another suggestion. While I personally am in the camp of "you can't always get what you want", even I get frustrated with reforging, and it's hard to deny that it's not a great system. It could probably use a complete overhaul to be more fun without just handing players whatever they want on a silver platter.

Back
Top Bottom