Journey's End Vanity Contest - Finalists & Voting Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I now be sad? This is my first contest ever and I don't know how to handle that I've lost. It feels a lot different to losing in a board game. A lot worse, actually

Should I now be sad? This is my first contest ever and I don't know how to handle that I've lost. It feels a lot different to losing in a board game. A lot worse, actually
Just consider that there were 7000+ entries. From that there were only 25 finalists and of them there will only be 3 winners. Lot's of people lost and statistically speaking everyone had very little chance to win. At least you tried. That has to count for something.

I'm just gonna go over my choices. I think all of these were well designed, I'm just giving my take on this.

1. Wyvern Rider
It feels like the one that would make most sense to be in the game. It's Terraria based and that's all there really is to it. It feels like the one developers would choose, and so I voted for it.

2. Mushroom Alchemist
Pretty close to Wyvern Rider, I just feel like it doesn't fit as much, but still shows itself as a Terraria based costume.

3. The Bugman
I've seen too many moth memes.

I'm happy with all of the entries and It'll be hard to pick, but one of the submissions was the one directly bellow me on the submission forum... darn

Last edited:
Good Luck to everyone! Great work! But I have one question:

There where so many Plague Docs, why isn´t one of them in your choice?
The Timeless Traveler was one of the finalists and is pretty close-ish to a plague doctor. We do also have a few plague doctor esque vanity items already (Lunatic Cultist and Crowno's Set to name a few) but there were undoubtedly some great new ideas for more plague outfits

I think another part of it is, like... there were so many plague doctor outfits. There were enough of them that if I had been judging, I would have ended up automatically throwing them out on concept alone, because it's clear there's nothing innovative about the concept. It's the same as all the hazmat suit submissions.

It’s never an easy experience the first time around, it’s rough when you put a part of yourself out there with something you design and it doesn’t get accepted. It’s also a difficult task for the developers to narrow down the field out of 7,000+ entries, as much as I’m sure they’d want to, they wouldn’t be able to take all of them, a lot of folks wouldn’t be able to make it.

For myself, whenever I enter a competition I try not to think of it as a winning and losing situation, but rather an experience that will make me better as an artist. Every idea you try, every design you attempt, every contest you enter helps expand your abilities as a creator, and if you happen to win then hey, that’s awesome!, but if you don’t win, then the experiences you’ll gain build you up higher and the next time you try you’ll have that much better of a chance. The more you try, the more you create, the more skill you will refine and eventually you will get there :)

Right now it’s rough, the hurt is there, but try to keep it from discouraging you from trying again the next time. IMHO art isn’t about ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ but ‘making’ and the more you make the better you’ll get at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom