Biomes & Nature Kelp forests or Islands: Ocean overhaul

Causal_Weird0' 🦫

The Destroyer
Lots of players including myself would love to see the ocean get an overhaul amongst all the other seeds and additions to the game. So I have two ideas:

Kelp Forests: Add otters, which are an interactable critter which can crack oysters and give a higher chance for pearls (and also just be really darn cute). Boost fishing by +5 as lots of fish live in the underwater wonders. Respawning ocean resources such as coral, stars, and the kelp itself (vanity set made from the kelp, some sort of washed up rusted armor).

Islands: Make the ocean a bit bigger and add an island or two. Has a chance for a fisher-shack, which resembles a worn down thatch hut which contains bait, a piece of fishing/ocean loot, and some fish. Add some new fish such as grouper, mackerel, mullet, etc. Some crafting recipes could be added such as aquarium tanks which can hold fish you catch to show off/use for building (Crafting like so: A terrarium, 20 sand, 5 glowsticks, and crafted near water at a workbench.

As I'm sure you've seen I also had a take on more ocean content, so I definitely support expanding the ocean. However, I'm not sure a whole biome is needed for kelp. I completely agree there should be kelp plants scattered around, dropping the kelp item that can be cooked into a new dried kelp food item (small buff for 30 seconds? since it would be easy to get in large amounts) but why would this need to be considered a biome?

Also, do otters normally live in the ocean? Why would giving an otter an oyster increase the chance of it having a pearl? For respawning coral, I suggested a coral reef biome instead, the new way of getting coral instead of it being scattered around, though I do agree an armor/vanity set could be cool...

And, while a fisher shack would be cool, perhaps as a new way to find the angler, located on the side with the large ocean (since expanding both sides may be unneeded), I dont really see how islands would work. Unless you're suggesting they should float in the ocean, they would need to extend allll the way down to the bottom of the ocean, which then also needs to continue on the other side of it. Requiring the terrain to spike upwards then downwards again all that way would take up a lot of space that could otherwise be used for cool ocean content, and besides, what would this island offer? Besides a fishing hut that could just go on the beach instead.

More fish? Sure. I'm okay with more fish since they can always be cooked into the seafood platter even if they dont have any other uses.

Not sure if an aquarium has been suggested before but definitely support that. If we already the terrarium, wouldn't this be basically the same thing?

Terrarium is for land critters. Aquariums are for aquatic critters. And I don’t mean for the kelp forest to be a whole biome. Rather like the granite and marble biome: A mini biome. And for islands, I way think about background walls holding it up. And yes, otters do live in the ocean. Hence the name “S E A O T T E R” they sleep in the kelp, rat within the kelp, etc. and they are very effective with cracking shellfish, so I figured either a new food item or increased pearl chance.

Terrarium is for land critters. Aquariums are for aquatic critters. And I don’t mean for the kelp forest to be a whole biome. Rather like the granite and marble biome: A mini biome. And for islands, I way think about background walls holding it up. And yes, otters do live in the ocean. Hence the name “S E A O T T E R” they sleep in the kelp, rat within the kelp, etc. and they are very effective with cracking shellfish, so I figured either a new food item or increased pearl chance.
yes I meant like, since we have the terrarium (and actually the fish bowl too for goldfish), would not an "aquarium" be implemented in basically the same way: showing the model inside it just like terrariums. So since they're so similar functionally, there's no reason for this not to be added!

For kelp forests, yes I assumed that's what you meant. I suppose I should've used the word minibiome too. But what I meant was why not just have random patches of kelp instead of one specific spot with a ton of it? I suppose the answer is a place for the otters

Island being made of background walls? Interesting.. Maybe then?

And for otters, sure, seems good

Back
Top Bottom