Mobile Lag/Crashing

GreyTheImp

Terrarian
I have this problem a lot, unfortunately. Where my game will crash every so often. With it losing some items, and at times progress in total. Will the crashes/lag during boss fights/pillar battle be fixed? Or is it just a problem with my phone model that's causing gameplay to be so choppy in intense areas.

Please can you post details about what device you are using?

Yes, the model is a SM-S327VL, and the android version is 6.0.1, this phone was made in 2016-17 I believe. However I get crazy amounts of lag even when just roaming the underground desert biome. Or fighting skeletron.

Yes, the model is a SM-S327VL, and the android version is 6.0.1, this phone was made in 2016-17 I believe. However I get crazy amounts of lag even when just roaming the underground desert biome. Or fighting skeletron.
Hi there @GreyTheImp, the info I’m seeing, that device, a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro, can run the game, but may not have a perfect experience when the game is under a heavy load like boss fights or certain biomes.

If you are experiencing performance issues, here are some things to try...
  • Try seeing if playing on small worlds works better for you. Medium and large worlds take a lot more resources from a device than playing on small worlds. The game is going to have a tough time chugging out all the graphics on a large expert world. There may be some optimizations that come in future updates, but there’s only so much these devices can do - it’s kind of a trade off.. stay on a small world with low graphic settings and play with hardly any performance issues, or for those that want to, play on large expert worlds with graphical options like dyes and such and the performance is going to suffer somewhere.
  • Restart your device. Shut it off completely then turn it back on, or do a soft reset.
  • Completely close all other apps while playing Terraria.
  • Change your settings in the game to help. Ones that might make the most difference are:
    • Turning off minimap
    • Disabling full screen effects
    • Cap to 30 fps
    • Turning off backgrounds
    • Turning on frameskip
  • Consider giving the game a few minutes break if you've had it running for hours.
  • Make sure your device is not jam packed to the brim. Excess storage isn’t a requirement to play, but like any computer that’s nearing the end of empty storage it can lead to a poorer performing device.
The developers are always working hard on bringing more optimizations, but there is a point where some devices just won’t be able to do all the performance-heavy stuff all at the same time. It’s not a stretch to think that there may be some FPS drops in certain areas (jungle, underworld, etc) and during certain times. These are going to be normal with a complex game such as Terraria.

Hi there @GreyTheImp, the info I’m seeing, that device, a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro, can run the game, but may not have a perfect experience when the game is under a heavy load like boss fights or certain biomes.

If you are experiencing performance issues, here are some things to try...
  • Try seeing if playing on small worlds works better for you. Medium and large worlds take a lot more resources from a device than playing on small worlds. The game is going to have a tough time chugging out all the graphics on a large expert world. There may be some optimizations that come in future updates, but there’s only so much these devices can do - it’s kind of a trade off.. stay on a small world with low graphic settings and play with hardly any performance issues, or for those that want to, play on large expert worlds with graphical options like dyes and such and the performance is going to suffer somewhere.
  • Restart your device. Shut it off completely then turn it back on, or do a soft reset.
  • Completely close all other apps while playing Terraria.
  • Change your settings in the game to help. Ones that might make the most difference are:
    • Turning off minimap
    • Disabling full screen effects
    • Cap to 30 fps
    • Turning off backgrounds
    • Turning on frameskip
  • Consider giving the game a few minutes break if you've had it running for hours.
  • Make sure your device is not jam packed to the brim. Excess storage isn’t a requirement to play, but like any computer that’s nearing the end of empty storage it can lead to a poorer performing device.
The developers are always working hard on bringing more optimizations, but there is a point where some devices just won’t be able to do all the performance-heavy stuff all at the same time. It’s not a stretch to think that there may be some FPS drops in certain areas (jungle, underworld, etc) and during certain times. These are going to be normal with a complex game such as Terraria.

Thank you for all the tips, however. My first map was on small. I'm on a large expert map now and after some updates things seem better. However the jungle really hits hard, even simple boss fights like skeletron prime, or others. Which is odd because Wall of flesh runs smoother. I really hope the game improves in this area, being smooth like 1.2 but I can't complain. For a game with so much to offer, and having so much within the game it runs considerably well, especially after the latest hotfix I haven't crashed once. Now its only fps. It really takes away the hse of most items. Such as the shield of cthulhu leaving people unable to dash without spam tapping over 4 times or more. This being said its also hard to grapple at these times. Especially with how it works, it would be more useful if you can hold the joystick then release in the desired direction with a little cursor or indicator in where it'll be shot. Often times i have it shooting backwards when frames drop.

Thank you for all the tips, however. My first map was on small. I'm on a large expert map now and after some updates things seem better. However the jungle really hits hard, even simple boss fights like skeletron prime, or others. Which is odd because Wall of flesh runs smoother. I really hope the game improves in this area, being smooth like 1.2 but I can't complain. For a game with so much to offer, and having so much within the game it runs considerably well, especially after the latest hotfix I haven't crashed once. Now its only fps. It really takes away the hse of most items. Such as the shield of cthulhu leaving people unable to dash without spam tapping over 4 times or more. This being said its also hard to grapple at these times. Especially with how it works, it would be more useful if you can hold the joystick then release in the desired direction with a little cursor or indicator in where it'll be shot. Often times i have it shooting backwards when frames drop.
That’s good to know that it’s been performing better. With the latest patch that just came out, turning the graphics to low can make a huge difference with crashing, offering a lot more stability for the devices that need it. It’s not expected or designed to help on the FPS front though.

For some devices I don’t think the game is ever going to be perfectly smooth like 1.2. The 1.3 update significantly raised what specs are needed, plus the game was rebuilt from the ground up to offer a true Terraria experience, not the highly watered down version that 1.2 offered, in my opinion. :)

I have this problem a lot, unfortunately. Where my game will crash every so often. With it losing some items, and at times progress in total. Will the crashes/lag during boss fights/pillar battle be fixed? Or is it just a problem with my phone model that's causing gameplay to be so choppy in intense areas.
With the crashing, are there some areas on the world where you cannot go near without crashing? if so then i dont think that can be fixed (not without deleting the world and starting fresh) as that means the world has a corrupted chunk, you could also try just deleting the .map file for the world. (the file is in the players directory folder)

if this info doesnt help, then i dont know what to do

Back
Top Bottom