PS4 Lag

Ok so I don't know if it was already addressed but when I first booted up the game, it was extremely laggy, and the lighting effects were choppy. So a fix would be appreciated

I experienced significant frame-rate lag while playing Terraria 1.4 by myself.
Playing Terraria Ps4 on the Ps5.

Yep, same here. Ps4 pro. Gave myself a raging headache trying to play through it because we've been waiting for journeys end for so long. Had to give up after 20 min.

Are any of you experiencing "lag" when you switch items in the hot bar? Also, does switching to trippy lighting help? One last thing, does turning of "supersampling mode" in the system settings make a difference?

Mine seems to have eased up over time. It isnt completely gone, and yeah Unit it does seem to often come back when I cycle weapons, but it's way better than it was right after I started with the update. My daughter plays on a Xbox hooked up to a TV sitting right next to my ps4 and the difference in the way they are running this update is a little depressing. Hers did lag a little at first, but quickly cleared up and seems to be running really well now from what I can see. Mine is usable now, but every once in a while things get choppy.

Mine seems to have eased up over time. It isnt completely gone, and yeah Unit it does seem to often come back when I cycle weapons, but it's way better than it was right after I started with the update. My daughter plays on a Xbox hooked up to a TV sitting right next to my ps4 and the difference in the way they are running this update is a little depressing. Hers did lag a little at first, but quickly cleared up and seems to be running really well now from what I can see. Mine is usable now, but every once in a while things get choppy.
Thanks for the extra info @Seith.

Try these separately, do any of them make a difference? How about if you do all of them?
  • On PS Pro, disable “supersampling mode” (if it’s enabled). PS4 Pro: Supersampling mode
  • Change lighting to Trippy
  • Unbind your Navigation key. See @ArticReaper’s video below.

Thanks for the extra info @Seith.

Try these separately, do any of them make a difference? How about if you do all of them?
  • On PS Pro, disable “supersampling mode” (if it’s enabled). PS4 Pro: Supersampling mode
  • Change lighting to Trippy
  • Unbind your Navigation key. See @ArticReaper’s video below.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice unit. I'll try that out in just a bit and let you know how it works.

Edit:

Ok so super sampling was already disabled from the get go, so no change there. Trippy lighting mode doesn't seem to make any noticable difference on framerate for me. I did have a binding set for navigation, so I went ahead and removed that.

What's wierd is how much better everything's running now that I've been playing for a couple days. It literally took like 12 hrs for the framerate to clear up after the update, and in that time I tried restarting the game, reloading that first world, making another new world, and loading an old world and it was the same choppy framerate on all of them. However after that first night, when I came back on the next morning it was much better. I was still getting some stuttering for a while in the caverns or underworld, as well as on the surface during eclipses and such. But now everything seems to be running really well even in those situations. Even when I make a new world and load in for the first time everything seems to be smooth, but I can't for the life of me think of any reason things would be different while making a new world now than they were right after the update. I was playing offline this entire time.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the advice unit. I'll try that out in just a bit and let you know how it works.

Edit:

Ok so super sampling was already disabled from the get go, so no change there. Trippy lighting mode doesn't seem to make any noticable difference on framerate for me. I did have a binding set for navigation, so I went ahead and removed that.

What's wierd is how much better everything's running now that I've been playing for a couple days. It literally took like 12 hrs for the framerate to clear up after the update, and in that time I tried restarting the game, reloading that first world, making another new world, and loading an old world and it was the same choppy framerate on all of them. However after that first night, when I came back on the next morning it was much better. I was still getting some stuttering for a while in the caverns or underworld, as well as on the surface during eclipses and such. But now everything seems to be running really well even in those situations. Even when I make a new world and load in for the first time everything seems to be smooth, but I can't for the life of me think of any reason things would be different while making a new world now than they were right after the update. I was playing offline this entire time.
Thanks for the update and details. I’m seeing other players report that performance is better on the second or third day compared to the first day, so it’s a phenomenon that others are experiencing also. :)

Back
Top Bottom