Last achievement painfully dull

Linio

Terrarian
Hi all!

Am I the only one slightly disappointed by the achievements? A lot of them are just naturally gain during the game, the only one actually out of the ordinary would be the one about killing the three mechanical bosses at once.

I'm trying to do the last one (200 fishing quests), and it's just sooooo boring.
I wanted to do 100% of the achievements, but i'm pretty much not really happy about having to go back and forth 200 times...!

What about you?
Should this be changed?

For as tedious as the 200 fishing quest achievement is, from my experience it is pretty common for games to have regular game play progression achievements and to also have that one achievement that is ridiculous to obtain. From what I have seen, people are purposely trying to fish as much as possible during a run in order to get as many of the items as possible via that source. Maybe doing a fishing only run of the game would make it less of a chore?

Also, what I have personally found to be helpful is to start a server just for myself. I will do a fishing quest, change it to midnight, and then wait till 4:30am for the next quest to arrive. The window of free time I have I usually spend on building or doing a quick boss fight. I think maybe if anything needs to be fixed it is the one quest a day limit.

I think the reason why they have it change every 24 hours is because maybe you've just cleansed your ENTIRE WORLD then the angler says "There's a cursed fish swimming in the waters of the deepest corruption! It was forged of the cursed flames that spread from the fallen horrors that lurk down there. They say not even water can put out this fire, and that it can burn forever. I can think of some awesome things I can do with a fish like that! You gonna go get it for me, or are you too chicken!?" But I just cleansed the world! you say. Also some people loose their jungles and forests and sometimes the ocean to the crimson corruption and hallow. The quest needs to change as to prevent these things from happening. It would be convenient but not necessarily better.

For as tedious as the 200 fishing quest achievement is, from my experience it is pretty common for games to have regular game play progression achievements and to also have that one achievement that is ridiculous to obtain. From what I have seen, people are purposely trying to fish as much as possible during a run in order to get as many of the items as possible via that source. Maybe doing a fishing only run of the game would make it less of a chore?

Also, what I have personally found to be helpful is to start a server just for myself. I will do a fishing quest, change it to midnight, and then wait till 4:30am for the next quest to arrive. The window of free time I have I usually spend on building or doing a quick boss fight. I think maybe if anything needs to be fixed it is the one quest a day limit.

I do this also, but this is just annoying, it's just grind for grind.
I saw games with hard achievements, but somehow it's less of a grind.
100 quests would have been more than enough, and it's not exactly the kind of fun i was searching for.
Acquiring specific items for example...

I think the reason why they have it change every 24 hours is because maybe you've just cleansed your ENTIRE WORLD then the angler says "There's a cursed fish swimming in the waters of the deepest corruption! It was forged of the cursed flames that spread from the fallen horrors that lurk down there. They say not even water can put out this fire, and that it can burn forever. I can think of some awesome things I can do with a fish like that! You gonna go get it for me, or are you too chicken!?" But I just cleansed the world! you say. Also some people loose their jungles and forests and sometimes the ocean to the crimson corruption and hallow. The quest needs to change as to prevent these things from happening. It would be convenient but not necessarily better.
I'd say it would be better it you just couldn't loose any of those places to corruption naturally. Also, if you cleansed the entire world, it's your fault if you lose content from the corruption that you cleared out.

some people loose their jungles and forests and sometimes the ocean to the crimson corruption and hallow. The quest needs to change as to prevent these things from happening. It would be convenient but not necessarily better.

Others have suggested in previous threads that a way around being stuck with a particular quest on a theoretical infinite amount of quest per day system would be to have the current quest still auto change at 4:30 am each day. If that was possible, you wouldn't have to wait all day for a new quest, but also wouldn't be stuck with an unattainable quest if you have cleansed (or lost) the whole world already.

I don't think it's the achievement that's the issue. Really, all achievements are are "you did this!" messages. You don't get a new item or anything, it's just a message, so any value to the achievement is only in your head.

What I think the issue is is the angler's rewards. I'm nearing 100 quests since 1.3 and have yet to be given any coralstone blocks. Maybe someone likes to use seaweed planters, but they only get about 3 or 4 per 100 quests? Something should be done with the RNG of the rewards, but the achievement is fine. I think it's meant to be one you get over multiple playthroughs.

Reactions: Nev
I do this also, but this is just annoying, it's just grind for grind.
I saw games with hard achievements, but somehow it's less of a grind.
100 quests would have been more than enough, and it's not exactly the kind of fun i was searching for.
Acquiring specific items for example...

Terraria seems like a grind game already. Wanting certain items means finding a preferable way to grind, whether that be slashing through enemies for that one drop or setting up an afk farm. I do agree that 200 quests is tedious, but not abnormal. Although, I may have a higher than average tedium tolerance level since I have been slowly collecting all the items in the game, which means LOTS of sitting, waiting, grinding, and organizing. I also understand that Terraria attracts a wide range of players and totes the openness of how people can play. Overall it is an achievement though, which should require some kind of effort. With the 100 quest suggestion, it seems like players may also just be able to get that through normal game play since some quest rewards are locked at a certain quest turn-in.

I've not gotten coralstone ever even before 1.3 and i'm nearing 100 quests too. That might be a bug actually

I did a lot of fishing because all the stuff you get really helps a lot. If you waited until you had beaten the game to start fishing, then, yeah... it would be a bit boring probably. But, if you had started fishing on day 1, you would have some really cool things before you ever fight the first boss.... the weather and radio stuff is interesting... the shark pickaxe that is better than a molten pickaxe... potions to get a lot of crates with cool potions in them... and the fish themselves sell for a lot of money early on... a couple days fishing will get you a couple of platinum coins that really help early on.

I usually dig out a fishing hole that is easily accessible for me in every biome... after about 30 quests they repeat so much that you can quickly get where you need go about 2am and get your fish and be back before 430am to collect your reward and get another quest... that way you can do 2 quests back to back and then go do other stuff the other 20 hours a day...

I think the fishing is ok the way it is... but yes, you should definitely do the fishing quests first and not last... :)

~Jim

I always thought that cleansing the entire world should be an achievement. Now which is harder?

I want this achievement so bad! I was actually hoping for it when the announced that there would be achievements. I figured it would be a given since the Dryad always tells you the percentage of corrupted/hallow that your world has.

I always thought that cleansing the entire world should be an achievement. Now which is harder?
Definitely the cleansing.
It's entirely possible to run into a case where you got rid of the natural Crimson/Corruption and the streaks of Crimson/Corruption and Hallow from entering hardmode (including anything that reached a floating island), and Dryad still says there's 1% of any of them left because one of the altars you smash just so happened to produce a patch of Crimson/Corruption/Hallow, and you just can't find it at all.
And that's not even getting into the exorbitant Clentaminator solution costs.

On the topic of the 200 fishing quests? Goes a lot faster with multiple characters.

I found that its easy if you take your main, fish up the quest fish, piggy bank it, and repeat until you have a nice stock of that day's fish, and then use a bunch of new characters to turn in all of them makes getting the 200 fishing achievement much faster. It's still very tedious, though.

I think it would be cool if fishing quests were expanded upon. Maybe instead of just one quest a day, you could get a series of quests for that day, and each one gives better rewards than the last. After a full day though, it would reset and you would get a new series of quests.

Am I the only one slightly disappointed by the achievements? A lot of them are just naturally gain during the game, the only one actually out of the ordinary would be the one about killing the three mechanical bosses at once.
No, you're not the only one. I don't think many of them are particularly challenging or interesting. Maybe the defeat three mech bosses at once and reaching wave 15 in the Moon events.
I don't mind that achievements don't give rewards - as a completionist, I'm just happy to earn them. I just wish there more challenging or interesting achievements, so there's something to work toward. E.g. instead of Kill Tim, what about Kill the Dungeon Guardian? There's a challenge. Or: Defeat the Golem while both hands are still attached. Defeat The Twins without letting them finish spinning to reach their second stage. (Quite possible with some summons and sticky damage effects like the Stardust Cell.) Have more than 10 active debuffs simultaneously. There's untapped possibilities in Terraria for challenges...

Back
Top Bottom