Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2

• Neither

• Just the bonus bit at the end

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
So we know that darts exist for only one purpose: shooting them from either of the two dart guns in the game. This seems kind of limited to me. So why not give darts a bit of a revival?

Darts get a new tooltip - "Can be thrown." The damage type could stay as ranged or deal both throwing and ranged damage. Personally I prefer it staying as ranged.
To balance, each dart would receive a nerf, but to make it fair, they would do 250% damage (seeing as damage is so low for items meant to be used as ammo). They would also have autoswing/throw and a low use time to keep things interesting.

Nerfs:

IN GENERAL: They would have the same velocity as a throwing knife and be heavily affected by gravity. They would never be able to be re-collected.

Poison Dart: Would inflict poison for only 3 seconds (yes, I know that's basically useless, but considering you get 100 darts from just 1 stinger it's quite fair imo. Only gets a 150% damage bonus.

Cursed dart. Would inflict Cursed Inferno for only 2 seconds. Dropped flames would not apply the debuff.

Ichor Dart: Would only inflict Ichor for 2 seconds. Would split into 2 darts instead of 3-4.

Crystal Dart: Would be affected by gravity. Would bounce randomly and make no effort to seek enemies. Also, not too sure about this but maybe after the first bounce they could even try to avoid enemies. Whatever, probably not.

First of all, if we want to be fussy about the drop pool getting too big, we can remove the Crystal Vile Shard and make it drop rarely in the Underground Hallow. Good riddance in my opinion. Problem solved, let's move on.

Dart Scattergun.png

Dart Scattergun

Damage: 22 ranged damage

Use time: 35 (slow)

Drop chance: 20% (or 25% if Crystal Vile Shard is removed from the drop pool)

Rarity: Pink, as you would know if you're not colourblind.

Specialness: Fires 4-6 darts at the cost of 1, in a wide spread, TWICE. Yeah, each time you pull the trigger, it fires twice, still consuming only 1 dart. The two shots are also very close together. Basically, this mechanic is an apology for the fact that the darts won't pierce, due to how invincibility frames work. There might be a better way around this but I kind of like this idea. It makes the weapon powerful against single targets, much more so than the other dart guns, which makes it unique.

When a dart gun is dropped from a mimic, 10-15 of that mimic's biome-themed darts would drop. For example:
  • A Dart Rifle would drop alongside 10-15 Cursed Darts
  • A Dart Pistol would drop alongside 10-15 Ichor Darts
  • A Dart Scattergun would drop alongside 10-15 Crystal Darts

Yay please comment and vote tell me how to improve blah blah thanks for taking the time bye!

Last edited:
No, the Hallowed Mimic is already too potent, it doesn't need to overtake my precious Dart guns too. Plus Ichor darts already have a shotgun-spread.

I see what you mean about no lasting dart usage, but early hardmode is a role where it's well filled. I'd rather have some at late hardmode (post 3 mechs)
That's a really good point but to do that we would need to add new guns... probably the best way would be a new "tribal" looking dungeon skeleton post-Plantera. As for early hardmode darts, well more darts! But that's off-topic I guess.

Plus Ichor darts already have a shotgun-spread.
I didn't think about those. Maybe they could be nerfed similarly to the thrown ones or not split at all (only when fired from the shotgun - darts fired from the Dart Pistol or Rifle would split midair like normal). An alternate route would be changing the shotgun to an assault rifle.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Right, I only meant when they're fired from the shotgun, not other guns. Those would remain the same, splitting in midair like they normally would. I'll go back and edit that for clarity.
Otherwise we could force the shotgun to shoot only 1 Ichor dart at a time. That way they would not become OP but still spread. My only concern is it wouldn't feel like a shotgun that way. So I'd prefer to go the spread-but-don't-split route. Again, nothing would change for the other guns.

Last edited:
That's a really good point but to do that we would need to add new guns... probably the best way would be a new "tribal" looking dungeon skeleton post-Plantera. As for early hardmode darts, well more darts! But that's off-topic I guess.
No need for a new dungeon. The Lihzahrd Temple could get a few new monsters that could drop dart-firing weapons, and possibly some chest loot related to it as well.

No need for a new dungeon. The Lihzahrd Temple could get a few new monsters that could drop dart-firing weapons, and possibly some chest loot related to it as well.
That is honestly a really great idea. The post-Plantera dungeon is already kind of full already anyway.

Back
Top Bottom