Let's Talk About Expert Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the song to face the expert mode. All of Terraria shall lie beneath my feet, the world shall murmur of my deeds for many years to come.

I just had a horrid thought. Monsters will likely avoid traps now.

I doubt but don't deny this. Enemy triggered pressure plates would become practically useless. I think it would be more realistic if enemies had a chance to detect a trap, just like players. Still, how this would work in practice is another case.

Now that I think about it... you could also put spear/spike traps so high that enemies can't detect them. Then make a lever/plate/timer close to yourself and wait for the enemies to walk below the traps. You could just activate the traps and watch the massacre. Monsters could avoid this only if they had a complex AI. Either they could see really far above or the remaining monsters could sense the dropping spikes and attacking spears which killed their buddies.

I'm kinda worried about expert mode. Here is an Eye of Cthulhu.. Yrimir showed us only one "accelerated" type of it's old attack. It rams on player like usual, but on very high speed and several times more. There's got to be more attack patterns or it will be just one big boresome fight. EOC is fast and it covers itself behind blocks and from this comes the conclusion that we need high damage and speed.. or just tankiness.. i saw how people deal with final waves of F/P Moons.. tankiness as only one solution is lame and boring. Maybe it would be better just to forget about EOC and go on Eater of Worlds or even Brain of Cthulhu in the beginning.

I'm mostly agree with rubeszilla but also trying to keep optimistic image of electroshocking jellyfish, which is no more free source of glowsticks. Let's see when update comes.

I'm kinda worried about expert mode. Here is an Eye of Cthulhu.. Yrimir showed us only one "accelerated" type of it's old attack. It rams on player like usual, but on very high speed and several times more. There's got to be more attack patterns or it will be just one big boresome fight. EOC is fast and it covers itself behind blocks and from this comes the conclusion that we need high damage and speed.. or just tankiness.. i saw how people deal with final waves of F/P Moons.. tankiness as only one solution is lame and boring. Maybe it would be better just to forget about EOC and go on Eater of Worlds or even Brain of Cthulhu in the beginning.

I'm mostly agree with rubeszilla but also trying to keep optimistic image of electroshocking jellyfish, which is no more free source of glowsticks. Let's see when update comes.

Yeah.

I do worry about this as well, but you never know, EoC might be the easiest boss to take out first in Expert mode and killing it will be valuable to make the Crimson (or shadow) set.

We'll just have to see.

Alright, here's the problem about Expert Mode.

It's content which is designed specifically for a certain group of people, and it practically locks other folk out of that content (which many people don't like). Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Expert Mode didn't receive an insane amount of attention.

It's content which is designed specifically for a certain group of people, and it practically locks other folk out of that content (which many people don't like). Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Expert Mode didn't receive an insane amount of attention.
You know, it's called EXPERT more for a reason, and everyone can access it, but not everyone would be able to handle it.
It's the exact concept of hell difficulty on Diablo, you can play on it if you want, but how far you'll get depends on you.

I was thinking this. Lot's of games have difficulty modes but Terraria has come so far by now that (and with especially the name) "Expert" mode might bring with it elitist wankers.

And if there are unique rewards for only EM - well, I remember players complaining that they didn't like HM but really wanted the wings...

Another reason why I thought in-game difficulty adjustments or something like New Game + may have been a better path. These methods are a lot less noticeable amongst the community.

Still, all this is conjecture on my behalf and I could be barking up the wrong tree. EM could rock our worlds and everyone could love it. Less than 6 days to find out, aw yeah :)

Last edited:
You know, it's called EXPERT more for a reason, and everyone can access it, but not everyone would be able to handle it.
It's the exact concept of hell difficulty on Diablo, you can play on it if you want, but how far you'll get depends on you.

You don't have to tell me that. You also missed my point.

I shall try to rephrase it: Usually, all the content in Terraria is easily accessible by everyone. Even if you aren't a builder, you can pick up building stuff straight away, for example. While Expert Mode is technically accessible by everyone, there's a good chunk of people that won't be able to experience it because of its difficulty. Therefore, it is content that is not accessible by some.

Hell, there's still plenty of people that find the current Terraria hard.

You don't have to tell me that. You also missed my point.

I shall try to rephrase it: Usually, all the content in Terraria is easily accessible by everyone. Even if you aren't a builder, you can pick up building stuff straight away, for example. While Expert Mode is technically accessible by everyone, there's a good chunk of people that won't be able to experience it because of its difficulty. Therefore, it is content that is not accessible by some.

Hell, there's still plenty of people that find the current Terraria hard.
I think it was created for the more experienced players who find Terraria easy to pose a challenge, and also add some more replay-ability to Terraria.

So is Expert mode something you trigger at the beginning of the game? or do you need to beat a boss simulur to wall of flesh to activate?

Okay, no need to use offensive things. I don't need to see that sort of thing in my thread...
Profanity filter doesn't filter out "wanker"?

So is Expert mode something you trigger at the beginning of the game? or do you need to beat a boss simulur to wall of flesh to activate?

It's a world option, so when you create a map that map will always be in EM.
[DOUBLEPOST=1435219639,1435219351][/DOUBLEPOST]Another thing to consider: will the game as we know it now, normal mode, be made a lot easier?

Another thing to consider: will the game as we know it now, normal mode, be made a lot easier?

I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps the current game would act as a 'requisite' of which people need to conquer before daring to enter the turf of expert mode?

That's probably not the intention, but it's the way I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom