NPCs & Enemies Let's talk about the Traveling Merchant.

Dusty Sinclair

Headless Horseman
As everyone probably already knows, the Traveling Merchant has a chance to appear in the morning and leaves at sunset. That's weird to me.

I realize that Terraria isn't a world built around logic, far from it, but it seems weird for a traveler to stop during the day. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Why's he traveling at night, is he going around snatching up unsuspecting children? Probably, but that's beside the point. It'd make more sense for him to arrive in the evening, then leave the next morning, like he stopped to stay the night before starting his journey again.

Note: Random boss spawns, like events, would prevent the Traveling Merchant from appearing.

That's about it. If you like it, good. If you don't, fine. Be that way.

Last edited:
As everyone probably already knows, the Traveling Merchant has a chance to appear in the morning and leaves at sunset. That's weird to me.

I realize that Terraria isn't a world built around logic, far from it, but it seems weird for a traveler to stop during the day. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Why's he traveling at night, is he going around snatching up unsuspecting children? Probably, but that's beside the point. It'd make more sense for him to arrive in the evening, then leave the next morning, like he stopped to stay the night before starting his journey again.

That's about it. If you like it, good. If you don't, fine. Be that way.

"The Destroyer has awoken!"
"Stevie the Travelling Merchant as arrived!"
"Stevie was slain"

He usually spawns near some NPC's house. There is no such problems unless you summon bosses in right in your NPC town.
I do sometimes. Like, atleast 300 blocks from the houses, you know, Destroyer's lasers go through blocks..

I don't get why everyone thinks he'd die. It's not like there are enemies inside your house at night. As long as your house doesn't have gaping holes in the walls for zombies to get in, he'd be completely safe on most nights. And I'm thinking of him as a traveler, since it's in his name. He's gotta have some place to spend the night, so why not your house?

What does multiplayer have to do with anything? As for random spawning, it gives you a warning. It's not like the boss just appears and :red:s you over.
If you die you spawn at your spawn. Chances are its near your npcs. If the destroyer kills you friend and follows you home, bye bye merchant.

One thing just occurred to me. The Traveling Merchant won't spawn if any events are taking place. So wouldn't it make sense for random boss spawns to prevent him from spawning? Taking that into account, the only problem at that point would be player-summoned bosses. At that point, defending the Traveling Merchant is your responsibility, and it's your fault if he dies because you summoned a boss while he was around.

He's a Traveling Merchant. Emphasis on the Merchant part. As in he wants to sell his wares. If you're gonna ground your suggestions in logic, most people would be asleep at night. Even if you consider Terraria logic and assume the NPCs don't sleep, all the NPCs are staying in during the night. It's best to stick around when everyone is awake and can freely peruse his wares.

He's a Traveling Merchant. Emphasis on the Merchant part. As in he wants to sell his wares. If you're gonna ground your suggestions in logic, most people would be asleep at night. Even if you consider Terraria logic and assume the NPCs don't sleep, all the NPCs are staying in during the night. It's best to stick around when everyone is awake and can freely peruse his wares.
Actually, none of the NPCs really GO TO BED at night... So... He actually would be able to get some money if he wasn't scared of leaving the house like all the other NPCs are. :p

Well, it's hard not to consider Terraria logic in this situation. Say what you want, but it's undeniable that all of the NPCs are wide awake for the entire night.

Back
Top Bottom