Biomes & Nature Liquids and Blocks

What should sand turn into when it is effected by lava?

• Silica, because I want another way to make glass!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Hornfels, because it looks awesome!

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zimberzimber

Terrarian
Liquids and blocks, the only interaction between the two is blocks holding the liquid together.
I say this can be taken a step further.
How about allowing certain blocks to be able to soak liquids in them? And why only soak?

Certain blocks will be able to turn into another block when they are in contact with either water or lava.
This doesn't happen instantly, it takes some time for the changes to happen. ~1 Terrarian day perhaps?
Blocks will not soak lava, and rain will have no effect.

Dirt -water-> Mud
Sand -water-> Quick Sand
index.php
Quicksand
Quick sand can spawn around the desert and it functions like a semi-solid blocks.
When you step on it you slowly begin to sink and gain the slowness debuff, when your lower body is inside the block you will have decreased mining speed so you wont so easily escape, and once your head is submerged you gain the suffocation and blindness debuff.
If the pool is 2 blocks deep, the player will only drown 2 blocks but if its 6 blocks deep, the player will keep drowning until he reaches the bottom of the quicksand pool.

Mud -lava-> Dirt
Wood -lava-> Ash Block (Don't forget you can paint the wood liquid proof oil so it wont be effected)
Quick Sand -lava-> Sand -lava-> Silica

Silica- Two can be used at a glass kiln to create a single glass block.
Note that sand isn't found often around lava. (naturally)

Dirt -honey-> Fertile soil*
Stone -honey-> [name] - Allows moss to spread at an increased rate over it.

Fertile soil- Grows grass like regular dirt blocks, but everything that grows on that grass grows faster. (Trees, mushrooms, herbs, misc plants)
But while growing things faster, it is more vulnerable to the evil biomes, making them convert at an increased rate.

Don't want your blocks reacting to liquids? Well, you can always buy some Protective Coating to paint your blocks with, rendering them immune to the effects of any liquid!
Bought from the painter when its raining.

"But Zimber! What about the ocean?!"
Only the blocks that come in contact with liquids for a long enough time are effected, and in the ocean only the uppermost layer of block will be effected.

Thoughts, complaints, suggestions and criticism are welcome! :)

Last edited:
I’m not too in to the idea of lava turning sand into glass considering that glass’s current texture is simply too smooth for that. Perhaps if we create a new type of block called “natural glass” or something similar which can be crafted into regular glass in the same fashion as sand. Also because you need 2 sand per glass currently.

I’m not too in to the idea of lava turning sand into glass considering that glass’s current texture is simply too smooth for that. Perhaps if we create a new type of block called “natural glass” or something similar which can be crafted into regular glass in the same fashion as sand. Also because you need 2 sand per glass currently.
Unrefined glass- can be crafted with another piece at the glass crafting station.
Fixed both the smooth unnatural look and the 2 sand for 1 glass.

This is really good. Another way to make other things. I just don't get the logic of glass in lava. :/

Dirt + water = mud.
I NEED THIS TO SPREAD MY JUNGLE
And i mean why not they already have a crafting recipe that does the exact same thing! Support.

Honey+Stone name idea: Honeystone. Not so creative, but then again we have crimson+stone = Crimstone, so not a valid argument.

If I may recommend the name Silica or Hornfels for the block created when lava contacts sand?
Hornfels if its for the looks, and Silica if its for glass making.
I don't want it to be this or that because I don't want to add another block that will have one use.

a good idea, but im not sure i like the rain counting as liquid, as if it does, it will really mess with your world.

mud and lava becomes dirt...
i'm so sorry underground jungle...
Hehehe

But that wouldn't effect the entire jungle, only the blocks that touch the lava.
And if you spill a bucket of lava by accident then only the blocks that touch the lava for a long enough period will be effected.

Back
Top Bottom