Official Looking for Testers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question is, whose actually worthy of it?
This is something Cenx (probably with Redigit & Crew) are reviewing in the e-mails and conversations. Making sure who to trust, why to trust them, and what exactly they can contribute to the development. They want people who are elaborate (not excited for the 1.3 spoils), but everything they have been given to check off, test, take notes, and feedback.

Even though you are going to be spoiled out because of the 1.3 features that are in that copy, they expect you to be professional about it, and deal with it like any typical version of Terraria. I know a lot of people are excessively excited about 1.3. It was only a year since Redigit returned to start working on it again, we don't want this to be the end again. So the applicants should be weary that what they are offering to do, could also result in complete disarray if not done correctly. However you are not doing this because of "Oh my god, yes I have 1.3 in my hands". No, you are doing this because "I will dedicate myself to make sure that 1.3 will be a great experience for those awaiting the final product. That they are satisfactory with the new updates and do not come across game-breaking glitches or bugs."

Some Tips:
  • Provide personal information, you are going to be part of the team of testers and communicating with developers hands-on.
  • Be mature, and of age. Not sure what the age limitation is on this subject, but take it you may have to be 13 or older, and if worst: 18.
  • Have your computer setup right: Notepad ready, communication tools read (skype, steam, etc). You'll be talking to devs one way or the other.
  • Take notes as you go through the game, everything you encounter could be a bug, take note of it. Detailed and step by step. If its nothing, the devs will most likely notice it based on your detailed notes.
    • If it feels out of place.
    • Something didn't look right.
    • Something stopped functioning or acts strange.
  • Provide your System Specifications, they are obviously looking for 1-2 Mac/Linux testers specifically too. Since it is confirmed that there is development for those operating systems.
  • Language barriers are also important, this game needs people with exceptional language skills in other countries!
    • If you know a second language, provide it!
  • Google up NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), make sure you know whats coming to you if you get picked, assume you will be picked so you are prepared for what is to come!
    • You are dealing with rights and laws, serious business (Don't take it harsh, but take it respectfully.)
    • Serious consequences can result from violating these agreements. If you never been in a situation that is serious, this might be a good time to rank up to a get-to-know basis.
  • Do not say "I spend a lot of time on it". Time may be of the essence, but quality is too. We want people to check thoroughly through the game, exploit the un-exploitable!

Last edited:
I am a long time linux user and am fairly experienced at debugging. I have made private mods for games before and did a bit of maintaining MC mods. I have been using linux pretty much exclusively for over 5 years and am well versed in it's workings and how to get to the bottom of problems, while also posting proper bug reports. I also maintain a couple entries over on WINE's AppDB.

If you need a linux tester let me know, I would be glad to help in any way I can!

I wish so hard that I could do this, but I don't think I have the hands on experience, even though I scour the wiki everyday ;( Also the fact I've never played terraria on anything other than mobile doesn't help...

This is something Cenx (probably with Redigit & Crew) are reviewing in the e-mails and conversations. Making sure who to trust, why to trust them, and what exactly they can contribute to the development. They want people who are elaborate (not exited for the 1.3 spoils), but everything they have been given to check off, test, take notes, and feedback.

Even though you are going to be spoiled out because of the 1.3 features that are in that copy, they expect you to be professional about it, and deal with it like any typical version of Terraria. I know a lot of people are excessively excited about 1.3. It was only a year since Redigit returned to start working on it again, we don't want this to be the end again. So the applicants should be weary that what they are offering to do, could also result in complete disarray if not done correctly. However you are not doing this because of "Oh my god, yes I have 1.3 in my hands". No, you are doing this because "I will dedicate myself to make sure that 1.3 will be a great experience for those awaiting the final product. That they are satisfactory with the new updates and do not come across game-breaking glitches or bugs."

Some Tips:
  • Provide personal information, you are going to be part of the team of testers and communicating with developers hands-on.
  • Be mature, and of age. Not sure what the age limitation is on this subject, but take it you may have to be 13 or older, and if worst: 18.
  • Have your computer setup right: Notepad ready, communication tools read (skype, steam, etc). You'll be talking to devs one way or the other.
  • Take notes as you go through the game, everything you encounter could be a bug, take note of it. Detailed and step by step. If its nothing, the devs will most likely notice it based on your detailed notes.
  • Provide your System Specifications, they are obviously looking for 1-2 Mac/Linux testers specifically too. Since it is confirmed that there is development for those operating systems.
  • Language barriers are also important, this game needs people with exceptional language skills in other countries!
  • Google up NDA, make sure you know whats coming to you if you get picked, assume you will be picked so you are prepared for what is to come!
  • Do not say "I spend a lot of time on it". Time is not of the essence, quality is. We want people to check thoroughly through the game, exploit the un-exploitable!
Everyone should read this, this is valuable advice right here. I would query that everyone take a second look at their intent for wanting to this, because if its just to play Terraria early...well, then, that's not going to go over well.

This is something Cenx (probably with Redigit & Crew) are reviewing in the e-mails and conversations. Making sure who to trust, why to trust them, and what exactly they can contribute to the development. They want people who are elaborate (not exited for the 1.3 spoils), but everything they have been given to check off, test, take notes, and feedback.

Some Tips:
  • Google up NDA, make sure you know whats coming to you if you get picked, assume you will be picked so you are prepared for what is to come!
  • Do not say "I spend a lot of time on it". Time is not of the essence, quality is. We want people to check thoroughly through the game, exploit the un-exploitable!

This is exactly why I would like to be a tester, as I have a knack for finding stuff that is not correct :)

As much fun as testing would be, I think I'd rather just build up more suspense by waiting, oh and Cenx, look out for people putting spoilers on the forums.

Count me into doing this, I would love to test if your willing to give me a shot!! My computer is brand new and takes less than 7 seconds to boot up. I have extensive knowledge from watching vids and playing the initial game myself. I am willing to put some time and effort into this of you give me the ability to test!

Due to the NDA, testers will not be able to disclose any information concerning the update without the developer's permission. Thusly, you probably won't get to hear about it until the update is released
Oh. Well thanks for letting me know so i don't let my hopes get to high luckily I am very good at waiting for games and updates thanks to waiting for half life 3 for almost 7 years and I still am.

Marcus did a great job expanding on the points I made earlier. This is a commitment. A commitment that involves trust, time, dedication, and passion.

The upside is that you get to see some cool stuff early and play around with it. You also get a huge chance to influence the game you love.

The "downside" - or, more accurately, the "expectation" is that you will do what is asked in a timely and thorough manner - namely sharing your honest feedback and bugs you find in an objective and clear manner as you play. The assumption of absolute secrecy (what happens in beta stays in beta) is equal parts assumed and backed by a standard NDA.

An NDA is only scary if one plans to violate the trust and secrecy...and if that is one's plan, then that would kinda make that person a bad candidate, right? ;)

Just getting a feeling that folks might be getting the wrong impression in a negative sense about the necessary protections present in a beta testing relationship.

I can say from experience that if you plan to be involved, engaged, responsible, and trustworthy - testing with this team is an amazing and rewarding experience.

Thanks for all the interest folks!

Marcus did a great job expanding on the points I made earlier. This is a commitment. A commitment that involves trust, time, dedication, and passion.

The upside is that you get to see some cool stuff early and play around with it. You also get a huge chance to influence the game you love.

The "downside" - or, more accurately, the "expectation" is that you will do what is asked in a timely and thorough manner - namely sharing your honest feedback and bugs you find in an objective and clear manner as you play. The assumption of absolute secrecy (what happens in beta stays in beta) is equal parts assumed and backed by a standard NDA.

An NDA is only scary if one plans to violate the trust and secrecy...and if that is one's plan, then that would kinda make that person a bad candidate, right? ;)

Just getting a feeling that folks might be getting the wrong impression in a negative sense about the necessary protections present in a beta testing relationship.

I can say from experience that if you plan to be involved, engaged, responsible, and trustworthy - testing with this team is an amazing and rewarding experience.

Thanks for all the interest folks!
Why can't I ever get any of the motivational speeches :(

I have nothing more to say in this thread, so I'll politely back out, but best of luck to everyone who applies.

I hope I am considered. I don't care if I get it, I just want too help the terrarian community, as they are the best!
I do not want too sign anything though. I do not like contracts. I was once locked into one with a loophole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom