Other Lore? Lore.

What are your thoughts on lore?

• I am not really a huge fan of lore so I don't really care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lore seems kind of useless to me so just keep it out so that I can keep my inventory clean.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Akuji DaJudge

Official Terrarian
I have always been a huge fan of lore in games.

No matter how little it contributed to the game, it was always interesting to find out more about the world and its inhabitants.

However I never had any desire for lore in Terraria up to this point. Since it is a sandbox game a lore was not something I had in mind when I was playing the game. But after reading a suggestion
thread today I somehow felt like adding pieces of lore to the game would be nice. Just knowing more about an enemies, bosses, or factions background (Where do they originate from? Why are they all hostile towards the player?) would make the world more of an interesting place to be in.

When I think about lore in games in general the first thing coming to mind would obviously be The Elder Scrolls series of games. All the titles I played had huge amounts of lore in them, but all of it was purely content. Things like the Ayleids or Dwemer who played no actual role in the games story sparked my interest and made me want to know more about them.

Terraria would not really need that kind of extensive lore. But just knowing more things about my enemies or allies would make me much more interested in them rather than just: "Which enemy do I have to kill to get the next best weapon/armor?".

Now to the actual suggestion:

I would like to see some sort of lore collection mechanism or lore items in the game.

The lore collection would be somewhere along the lines of the Diablo III system where whenever you defeat an enemy, a little piece of lore gets collected somewhere where you can access it. It would not have to be more than maybe one or two sentences per enemy vaguely describing their origin and purpose/motivation.

The lore items on the other hand would be page-like items dropped from each enemy that describe them in a similar fashion to the previous version, only in a "physical" format. You could then store them in chests or hang them up on walls. You would interact with them in a similar fashion as you interact with chests or fishing crates (meaning that you right-click them in your inventory or interact with them as background items (Like the clocks that you can place). The pages could maybe also be combined to form chapters for each biome/faction and in the end an entire encyclopedia which you would navigate in the same way as you interact with npcs (Through dialogue boxes to remove the work of implementing an entirely new overlay).

That's it for my suggestion. If you have any comments just leave them below. Also let me know what you think about lore personally (Not just Terraria but games as a whole).

Last edited:
Like how the the giant heads in the ocean background is terriria earth just in the far future.

@Crashtronaut has a similar suggestion for an encyclopaedia, which would feature lore as items are collected and enemies defeated. (Link)
Perhaps you could collaborate with him?
Well although his idea seems to be similar to mine, mine is actually focused solely on the lore aspect, while his is supposed to provide information on items, monsters, and bosses (At least that's how I understand his idea). His idea seems to be an in-game embodiment of the wiki, whereas the texts are changed to make it more immersive (I guess no one would like to have a series of wiki pages in their game).

Well although his idea seems to be similar to mine, mine is actually focused solely on the lore aspect, while his is supposed to provide information on items, monsters, and bosses (At least that's how I understand his idea). His idea seems to be an in-game embodiment of the wiki, whereas the texts are changed to make it more immersive (I guess no one would like to have a series of wiki pages in their game).

A fair point, and I suppose that lore could have been a slightly larger focus in my suggestion.

I like this suggestion, I've always liked terrarian lore.

Would have to agree, More lore would actually be really cool and probably draw me more into the game overall, Be neat to have the lore done like randomly generated too so its different in each world, Kinda like how it is in Dwarf fortress :p

Back
Top Bottom