Weapons & Equip Lotion of Motion, Saint Shield; Pocket Mirror + Hand Warmer + Ankh Shield

Now that it is relatively easy for players to hunt for Hand Warmers without having to wait for Christmas, I would like to see a tinker combination of the Pocket Mirror and Hand Warmers, for which I suggest the name 'Lotion of Motion', and then for that tinker combination to combine the 'Lotion of Motion' with the Ankh Shield into a single accessory, for which I suggest the name 'Saint Shield' that has ALL of the status protections that you can get from accessories.

As it stands, I suspect that use of the pocket mirror or hand warmers rarely feature in anyone's equipment setups, and this would bring the utility of these accessories up so that they are on par in terms of desirability with all the other status-protection accessories.

Personally, I feel like the 'Lotion of Motion' should be an ingredient for the Ankh Shield, added to the Obsidian Shield with all the other stuff such as the Medicated Bandage.

Personally, I feel like the 'Lotion of Motion' should be an ingredient for the Ankh Shield, added to the Obsidian Shield with all the other stuff such as the Medicated Bandage.
I would agree, but the issue is that you need the Christmas Spirit to get presents (which is where the Hand Warmers come from), and that means *clearing* the Frost Moon event, which means that you'd be making the Ankh Shield a post-Plantera item because you need Ectoplasm from the dungeon to make the Naughty Present that starts Frost Moon.

As it stands now, the Ankh Shield can be completed before you fight your first Hardmode boss. I thought the upgraded Ankh Shield was therefore the best compromise that would have a reasonable shot at being accepted.

Now that it is relatively easy for players to hunt for Hand Warmers without having to wait for Christmas
If "you have 24 minutes to grind for a 0.045% drop from enemies after defeating one of the hardest and latest events in the game" counts as "relatively easy" then I don't know what is hard for you.

The reason Pocket Mirror isn't part of the Ankh Shield is because it'd just add unnecessary grind for a pointless debuff immunity, and I say pointless because to get a Pocket Mirror you need to kill on average 100 Medusas, the only enemy in the entire game that inflicts Petrified, which means that it's useless right after it's obtained.

Let's assume you are guaranteed Hand Warmers after getting to wave 15 Frost Moon. You'd get it after you fought Ice Queens, the last enemy in progression that inflicts the debuffs it protects against. Once again it's obtained right after the point where it'd be any useful.

This suggestion does nothing except please some people's OCD.

If "you have 24 minutes to grind for a 0.045% drop from enemies after defeating one of the hardest and latest events in the game" counts as "relatively easy" then I don't know what is hard for you.

The reason Pocket Mirror isn't part of the Ankh Shield is because it'd just add unnecessary grind for a pointless debuff immunity, and I say pointless because to get a Pocket Mirror you need to kill on average 100 Medusas, the only enemy in the entire game that inflicts Petrified, which means that it's useless right after it's obtained.

Let's assume you are guaranteed Hand Warmers after getting to wave 15 Frost Moon. You'd get it after you fought Ice Queens, the last enemy in progression that inflicts the debuffs it protects against. Once again it's obtained after the point where it'd be any useful.

This suggestion does nothing except please some people's OCD.
You could make the same argument for just about every status-protection accessory in the game, which is why I think it's a weak one.

Would you really have us believe that you've only ever cleared Frost Moon once per character, and then never touched it again? Or that you have this magic ability to avoid marble areas so that you never run into Medusa? I've lost hardcore characters that were sitting on flying mounts because of that petrification gaze; the benefit of a pocket mirror is indeed too marginal to warrant placing it with any other accessory, but if it could be combined with an existing accessory then it would be something worth hunting for. And I take on the Frost Moon for fun often enough that I already carry a set of hand warmers in a vanity slot to counter the Ice Queens, anyway, but it would be nice to not have to do inventory management in the middle of the event.

You could make the same argument for just about every status-protection accessory in the game, which is why I think it's a weak one.
Yes, you totally can. Thats why Ankh Charm is one of the most overrated items in the entire game. Most debuffs that it protects from never show up and when they do it's from the enemies you had to kill a hundred of for the debuff immunity.

Would you really have us believe that you've only ever cleared Frost Moon once per character, and then never touched it again?
Once I get the weapons im looking for, yes I dont ever touch it again, Ice Queens dont :red: you over with RNG. If I DO touch it again in one run then its with endgame gear, after clearing the game, where nothing can kill me anyways.

This isnt even mentioning that there are ways to work around Chilled (Frozen doesnt matter, it's lasts for so little that its just annoying), or that you are not actually guaranteed Hand Warmers from a Frost Moon.

Or that you have this magic ability to avoid marble areas so that you never run into Medusa? I've lost hardcore characters that were sitting on flying mounts because of that petrification gaze;
If im ever so paranoid that I absolutely have to avoid Medusas, I'm not going to waste time killing 100 of them, I'm going to just avoid Marble Biomes. Its not hard, especially when a Lifeform analyzer already detects them for you and when I have no reason to be near a Marble cave in hardmode.

the benefit of a pocket mirror is indeed too marginal to warrant placing it with any other accessory, but if it could be combined with an existing accessory then it would be something worth hunting for.
If you wouldnt use a Pocket Mirror by itself, then you also wouldnt bother grinding for it to upgrade your Ankh Shield.

Yes, you totally can. Thats why Ankh Charm is one of the most overrated items in the entire game. Most debuffs that it protects from never show up and when they do it's from the enemies you had to kill a hundred of for the debuff immunity.

If you wouldnt use a Pocket Mirror by itself, then you also wouldnt bother grinding for it to upgrade your Ankh Shield.
It seems readily apparent that you don't use this item, and do not appreciate it. That's your prerogative, of course, but the point is that your criticism doesn't really appear to be aimed at the suggestion I made specifically, rather it's at the item family as a whole. I prefer the Ankh Shield to all other shields that grant knockback immunity, and would definitely make use of this suggested item if it were available in the game.

If im ever so paranoid that I absolutely have to avoid Medusas, I'm not going to waste time killing 100 of them, I'm going to just avoid Marble Biomes. Its not hard, especially when a Lifeform analyzer already detects them for you and when I have no reason to be near a Marble cave in hardmode.
I had made a gem tree plantation at the edge of the jungle right near the Lihzard temple, and I didn't think anything of the marble that was right next to the pylon. I ended up mining out all the marble to prevent a re-occurrance.

This isn't a new thing to make a "Ankh Shield that does everything" and an issue I have with it is that it just adds unnecessary item bloat on an already long crafting recipe. I agree with J Bame in that the main reason why Hand Warmers isn't part of the Ankh Shield is that you get it way too late in the game. The Frost Moon is a Post-Plantera event, all components of the Ankh Charm can be obtained by the player the moment they start hardmode before they even fight their first mech boss. In fact you can get the Beozar Pre-Hardmode.

Meanwhile as again mentioned by J Bame the Pocket Mirror is literally designed to counter one enemy and one enemy only and said enemy is the only way to obtain it by killing it and it's not exactly common either.

It's not that the suggestion is bad but I can certainly live without it if it was never implemented into the game. Just feels like another "endgame item with a long crafting recipe" suggestion in a sea of "endgame item with a long crafting recipe" suggestions.

This isn't a new thing to make a "Ankh Shield that does everything" and an issue I have with it is that it just adds unnecessary item bloat on an already long crafting recipe. I agree with J Bame in that the main reason why Hand Warmers isn't part of the Ankh Shield is that you get it way too late in the game. The Frost Moon is a Post-Plantera event, all components of the Ankh Charm can be obtained by the player the moment they start hardmode before they even fight their first mech boss. In fact you can get the Beozar Pre-Hardmode.
I specifically suggested a new item separate from the Ankh Shield though, of which the Ankh Shield is a material. I understand your complaint, but I don't think it's relevant to MY suggestion. If the new item is implemented as I suggested, and you didn't want to use it, it wouldn't inconvenience your current gaming experience in any way whatsoever.

It's not that the suggestion is bad but I can certainly live without it if it was never implemented into the game. Just feels like another "endgame item with a long crafting recipe" suggestion in a sea of "endgame item with a long crafting recipe" suggestions.
Yes, I think there will be a lot of suggestions for endgame quality-of-life items going forward, since as things stand now there are no plans to add new bosses or new content. The only reason I even thought of suggesting this was because the Lavaproof Tackle Bag was added and there are a few convenience tweaks along those lines that I would like to see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom