PC Lunatic Cultist's projectile resistances are a mess.

J Bame

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Some of you may know from the Wiki that the Lunatic Cultist is coded to take 25% less damage from "homing" projectiles.

I asked around and got someone to look this up in the game's code, and got a list of all the projectiles the Cultist has a resistance to.

Chloro Bullets
Possessed Hatchet
Flower Pow's Flail
Snowman Cannon Rockets I, II, III and IV
All 4 variants of the Pygmy Staff's minions
Slime Staff
all 3 variants of the Spider Staff
Scourge of the Corruptor's tiny eaters
Bat Scepter
Piranha Gun
Leaf Crystal
Leaf Crystal's shot
Magnet Sphere's
ball and bolt
Spectre Staff
Frost Hydra
Raven Staff
Horseman’s Blade Pumpkins
Tempest Staff minion and projectile
UFO minion
Imp Staff Minion and Projectile
Hornet Staff minion and projectile
Queen Spider's baby spiders
Optic Staff (Spazmamini, Retinamini and Retinamini's laser)
Flairon Bubbles
Razorblade Typhoon
Influx Waver
Medusa’s Head
Seedler nut and seeds
Crystal Darts

We can see that this doesn't just include homing projectiles, but rather anything that autoaims and wouldn't have an issue with the Cultist's small size. For what it's supposed to do... this list is a mess.

First, there are some very strange selections that either don't have any sort of automatic aim or can't even deal damage in the first place. I bolded these in the list:

Flower Pow Flail, Influx Waver, Seedler's Nut: Not homing nor automatically aimed projectiles.

Magnet Sphere's Ball, Leaf Crystal, Imp Staff Minion, Hornet Staff Minion: Doesn't deal any damage so resistance to these is redundant.

Frost Hydra, Pygmy Staff and Xeno Staff's minions: ONLY includes the minions themselves which don't deal any damage. Their projectiles are unaffected.

Horseman's Blade Pumpkins: While these are a homing projectile, the only way to spawn them is by hitting the Cultist with a non-homing weapon, so there is no reason for the Cultist to resist this.

The second and biggest issue is that this list is incomplete and heavily outdated, missing not just every homing projectile and minion added after 1.3 but some from its version of origin as well.

Homing projectiles:
Magic Missile
Flamelash
Rainbow Rod
Nebula Blaze and Arcanum
Vortex Beater's Rocket
Celebration MKII's green rocket
Wasps from Wasp Gun
Bees and Big Bees from Hive Pack
Book of Skulls
Spirit Flame
Snowman Cannon's 1.4 rockets
Stellar Tune
Nightglow
Flower Pow's Petals
Spectre Mask's Orbs (ONLY if Horseman's Blade's Pumpkins are to remain on the list)

Minions:
Pirate Staff
Queen Spider's Egg
OOA sentries (Flameburst Sentry, Ballistas, Lightning Aura, Explosive Trap)
Stardust Dragon and Cell
Frost Hydra's projectile
Pygmy's Spear
Xeno Staff's projectile
Sanguine Bat
Blades
Vampire Frog
Finch
Desert Tiger
Flinx minion
Moon Lord's Sentries
Terraprisma

Automatically aimed:
Scutlix mount's laser
Santank mount's bullet and rocket
Phantasm's Secondary arrows
Orichalcum Armor's set bonus
Volatile Gelatin
Chlorophyte Arrows
Nano Bullets

Debatable:
Flying Knife
Sergeant United Shield
Cool Whip's Snowflake
Spore Sac
Ghastly Glaive's Ghost

Personally, I don't think the Cultist should have a resistance to anything other than homing projectiles, but if he is still going to resist any form of auto-aim then at least complete the list.

Last edited:
Flower Pow Flail, Influx Waver, Seedler's Nut: Not homing nor automatically aimed projectiles.
This looks to be because they produce projectiles that do home. I don't know if there's something that requires the non-homing parent projectile to be resisted if the homing child projectile is resisted, but that appears to be the relation. If I had to guess, it might be because the child projectile inherits some of its properties from the parent.

This looks to be because they produce projectiles that do home. I don't know if there's something that requires the non-homing parent projectile to be resisted if the homing child projectile is resisted, but that appears to be the relation. If I had to guess, it might be because the child projectile inherits some of its properties from the parent.
I think the projectiles in the list were just selected manually, so these should all be developer oversights.

Also, it doesnt make enough sense. If the Flower Pow is resisted because of the autoaimed projectiles it spawns, then why arent said homing projectiles resisted as well? Why isnt this an issue with the Flairon and Scourge of the Corruptor, where the "parent" isnt resisted but its children are?

Back
Top Bottom