Mage Playthrough

00Banshee00

Skeletron
So, I having trouble with a dedicated(only mana consuming weapons) mage playthrough. If you got any tips, would you please tell me. I'm struggling to keep up my mana. :)

If this is the wrong section, would you please tell me :).

Thanks,
00Banshee00.

Not a pure mage, but some of my experience:
1.Quickly collect fallen stars.(for both maxium mana and mana potions)
2.Mana Regenaration Potion is good. And mana power potion is useful for boss fighting.
3.Wand of Sparks is a good start weapon but need some luck to find one.
3.Space Gun with meteor armor is a good choice pre-hardmode and you could get is early if you don't mind using some bombs.
4.Meteor Staff, Crystal Serpent and Poison Staff is good early hardmode and the former two could be get by fishing(soul of light for Meteor Staff).
5.After the three mech boss, you may want the Razorblade Typhoon and Bubble Gun(Duke Fishron could be easily defeated by a looped mincart track, especially with a Michnical Cart). The Razorblade Typhoon is an excellet weapon especially combined with the Spectral Hood. In my opinion, it's even better than nebula weapons when using againist the celestial mobs.
6.Magic Cuff is useful, if your defense is high enough, standing on spikes to keep mana.
7.Mana Flower with some mana potions would be helpful(though I seldom use a mana potion).
8.Other useful magic weapons(at the time getting it): Demon Sickle, Clinger Staff(keep one side of mobs away), Venom Staff, Laser Machinegun.
9.If you managed to get the end, the nebula armor is fantastic, its 3rd level nebula mana could surpport most magic weapons(maybe except last prism).

Not a pure mage, but some of my experience:
1.Quickly collect fallen stars.(for both maxium mana and mana potions)
2.Mana Regenaration Potion is good. And mana power potion is useful for boss fighting.
3.Wand of Sparks is a good start weapon but need some luck to find one.
3.Space Gun with meteor armor is a good choice pre-hardmode and you could get is early if you don't mind using some bombs.
4.Meteor Staff, Crystal Serpent and Poison Staff is good early hardmode and the former two could be get by fishing(soul of light for Meteor Staff).
5.After the three mech boss, you may want the Razorblade Typhoon and Bubble Gun(Duke Fishron could be easily defeated by a looped mincart track, especially with a Michnical Cart). The Razorblade Typhoon is an excellet weapon especially combined with the Spectral Hood. In my opinion, it's even better than nebula weapons when using againist the celestial mobs.
6.Magic Cuff is useful, if your defense is high enough, standing on spikes to keep mana.
7.Mana Flower with some mana potions would be helpful(though I seldom use a mana potion).
8.Other useful magic weapons(at the time getting it): Demon Sickle, Clinger Staff(keep one side of mobs away), Venom Staff, Laser Machinegun.
9.If you managed to get the end, the nebula armor is fantastic, its 3rd level nebula mana could surpport most magic weapons(maybe except last prism).
Thanks for helping!

I did a dedicated mage playthrough back in 1.2 and I found that the tinkers of the band of star power are a life saver additionally what weapons are you using? when you have lower amounts of mana its far more critical to use low mana weapons. The Gem staves and vilethorn were a life saver in that regard for me the the crimson rod is a relatively useful area denial weapon it lacks the same utility as vilethorn from my experience as it can't hit through walls. If you have a crimson world I'd recommend making a corruption world to raid as well. Some good magic weapons for the transition to hardmode are the Medusa Head (which deals high damage at full charge as it is AOE, the Demon Scythe obtained from demons which can also be used as an improvised shield, the craftable diamond staff and the flower of fire and flamelash from the underworld the other magic weapons lack the damage to stay relevant when hadmode starts so be warned.
My playthrough was kinda lucky early on so it might not be typical but I recommend checking the outside of the dungeon for a water bolt if obtained early it is quite strong primarily if the bounces are abused. Once the dungeon is unlocked you can access the shadow key letting you acquire flamelash and the flower of fire also making sure you acquire a book case as its needed to craft the spell books which are a useful addition to your arsenal.
The underground snow biome was the first place I went in hardmode to get a flower of frost and frost staff. Also don't forget the magic dagger I acquired one form a mimic down in the underworld before I returned to base after killing the WOF. And the nimbus rod is a excellent weapon particularly for the Destroyer (and wyverns :)) able to be acquired as soon as hardmode begins.

I have also taken a liking to biome mimic gear which includes spells such as the drain life spell from the crimson mimic which is a great AOE that saved my life several times on my most recent playthrough. I imagine it would excel on a dedicated mage playthrough though I can't guarantee it.

I'm nearing WoF.

The Space Gun + Meteor Armor will carry you through the WoF fight pretty easily, Water Bolt is also an amazing weapon to have pre-hardmode.

Unfortunately the jump from PH to HM is especially hard on mage characters. Craft yourself a set of Jungle Armor, even if you wont use it during PH, you will want the extra mana and crit it provides starting out in HM, as the Space gun loses alot of its shine once WoF is dead.

I recommend getting a decent HM weapon asap, some good ones include The Crystal Serpent, Laser Rifle, Golden Shower, Frost Staff, Poison Staff, and Crystal Storm.

Going into the Mech bosses, try taking down the Twins first, as this'll let you craft a Magical Harp. one of the better mid-HM weapons. If you can't quite take the Twins, then use the weapons i listed above to take on the Destroyer instead, get yourself some extra health from Life fruit, maybe acquire a Unholy Trident, and try again.

Going from Mech to Plantera, the Harp is really all there is, every other good magic weapon is either acquirable before the mechs, or after beating Plantera.

After Plantera though, your choices REALLY open up. Post-Plantera tier is where all the cool Mage toys are. Plantera herself drops the Leaf Blower and Nettleburst.
The Golem (which if you can beat Plantera, you can beat Golem) drops the Heat Ray.
There are several very nice magic weapons to be found in the Post-Plantera Dungeon, Such as the Spectre Staff, Inferno Fork, or Magnet Sphere.
If you got a Hallowed Key, the Rainbow Gun is very nice.
Martian Invasion has the Laser Machine Gun and the Charged Blaster Cannon (CBC isn't all that great, but is freaking cool IMO)
Frost Moon h\as the Blizzard Staff and Razorpine.
Duke Fishron drops the Razorblade Typhoon, who's very fast homing projectiles make it on par with Celestial tier weapons.

In fact the only event which provides nothing interesting for theMage in late HM is the Pumpkin Moon, dropping only the dubious Bat Scepter.

I did a dedicated mage playthrough back in 1.2 and I found that the tinkers of the band of star power are a life saver additionally what weapons are you using? when you have lower amounts of mana its far more critical to use low mana weapons. The Gem staves and vilethorn were a life saver in that regard for me the the crimson rod is a relatively useful area denial weapon it lacks the same utility as vilethorn from my experience as it can't hit through walls. If you have a crimson world I'd recommend making a corruption world to raid as well. Some good magic weapons for the transition to hardmode are the Medusa Head (which deals high damage at full charge as it is AOE, the Demon Scythe obtained from demons which can also be used as an improvised shield, the craftable diamond staff and the flower of fire and flamelash from the underworld the other magic weapons lack the damage to stay relevant when hadmode starts so be warned.
My playthrough was kinda lucky early on so it might not be typical but I recommend checking the outside of the dungeon for a water bolt if obtained early it is quite strong primarily if the bounces are abused. Once the dungeon is unlocked you can access the shadow key letting you acquire flamelash and the flower of fire also making sure you acquire a book case as its needed to craft the spell books which are a useful addition to your arsenal.
The underground snow biome was the first place I went in hardmode to get a flower of frost and frost staff. Also don't forget the magic dagger I acquired one form a mimic down in the underworld before I returned to base after killing the WOF. And the nimbus rod is a excellent weapon particularly for the Destroyer (and wyverns :)) able to be acquired as soon as hardmode begins.

I have also taken a liking to biome mimic gear which includes spells such as the drain life spell from the crimson mimic which is a great AOE that saved my life several times on my most recent playthrough. I imagine it would excel on a dedicated mage playthrough though I can't guarantee it.

The Space Gun + Meteor Armor will carry you through the WoF fight pretty easily, Water Bolt is also an amazing weapon to have pre-hardmode.

Unfortunately the jump from PH to HM is especially hard on mage characters. Craft yourself a set of Jungle Armor, even if you wont use it during PH, you will want the extra mana and crit it provides starting out in HM, as the Space gun loses alot of its shine once WoF is dead.

I recommend getting a decent HM weapon asap, some good ones include The Crystal Serpent, Laser Rifle, Golden Shower, Frost Staff, Poison Staff, and Crystal Storm.

Going into the Mech bosses, try taking down the Twins first, as this'll let you craft a Magical Harp. one of the better mid-HM weapons. If you can't quite take the Twins, then use the weapons i listed above to take on the Destroyer instead, get yourself some extra health from Life fruit, maybe acquire a Unholy Trident, and try again.

Going from Mech to Plantera, the Harp is really all there is, every other good magic weapon is either acquirable before the mechs, or after beating Plantera.

After Plantera though, your choices REALLY open up. Post-Plantera tier is here all the cool Mage toys are. Plantera herself drops the Leaf Blower and Nettleburst.
The Golem (which if you can beat Plantera, you can beat Golem) drops the Heat Ray.
There are several very nice magic weapons to be found in the Post-Plantera Dungeon, Such as the Spectre Staff, Inferno Fork, or Magnet Sphere.
If you got a Hallowed Key, the Rainbow Gun is very nice.
Martian Invasion has the Laser Machine Gun and the Charged Blaster Cannon (CBC isn't all that great, but is freaking cool IMO)
Frost Moon h\as the Blizzard Staff and Razorpine.
Duke Fishron drops the Razorblade Typhoon, who's very fast homing projectiles make it on par with Celestial tier weapons.

In fact the only event which provides nothing interesting for theMage in late HM is the Pumpkin Moon, dropping only the dubious Bat Scepter.
Thanks for all the great, and helpful answers guys!

I used the Water Bolt and Bee Gun for WoF. Don't underestimate the bees, they can deal constant damage.

Once HM started, I had a Water Bolt, Bee Gun, Flamelash, Demon Sickle, Space Gun (Laser Rifle is slightly better) and Flower Of Fire. These item's aren't great against HM enemies, so I suggest to get some items first:

- Crystal Serpent is a nice weapon and it can be found by fishing in the Hallow
- Go to the underground tundra. The Frost Staff and Flower Of Frost might help you
- The Meteor Staff is a great weapon against the Mech Bosses. It consumes a lot of mana, so get some good mana regen
- Cursed Flames might help a bit, Golden Shower is useful too

Quickly gear up to make HM less a pain. You might have some small trouble but everything is possible.

I used the Water Bolt and Bee Gun for WoF. Don't underestimate the bees, they can deal constant damage.

Once HM started, I had a Water Bolt, Bee Gun, Flamelash, Demon Sickle, Space Gun (Laser Rifle is slightly better) and Flower Of Fire. These item's aren't great against HM enemies, so I suggest to get some items first:

- Crystal Serpent is a nice weapon and it can be found by fishing in the Hallow
- Go to the underground tundra. The Frost Staff and Flower Of Frost might help you
- The Meteor Staff is a great weapon against the Mech Bosses. It consumes a lot of mana, so get some good mana regen
- Cursed Flames might help a bit, Golden Shower is useful too

Quickly gear up to make HM less a pain. You might have some small trouble but everything is possible.
Thanks!

If you're in pre-hm, then get the water bolt, space gun, and meteor armor. Use the water bolt and switch to the space gun when you're out of mana. The water bolt destroys the wall of flesh. Once you're in hardmode, prioritize the crystal storm and cursed flames/golden shower, but get both if you don't mind using another world. That's as far as I've gotten on my magic only playthrough.
Edit: I recommend getting the crystal serpent before the crystal storm/cursed flames/golden shower. It is good in early hardmode and makes it easier to get the other early hm spellbooks.

Back
Top Bottom