PC Mage

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

Theadonn

Official Terrarian
Alright alright, now the spectre armor was really broken when it first came out. I know this first hand, my friend showed off all the time when he got it. They debuffed it and added the mask and i never though much of it as i only play ranger. But here recently i started a expert play as a mage with my friend and when we got the stuff i made a diamond robe and got a wizard hat with some meteor pants, i noticed that game me more good stats. We got adamantite armor and i noticed something... Adamantite armor compared to the robe hat and legging is 17%-22% damage 15%-10% crit 19%-18% mana reduction and 80-80 mana. Really the only point to change is armor in this, early game armor seemed better than ADAMANTITE. So i kept the robe and hat and continued the play. And we came to hallowed, then chlorophyte, and the same thing. So little increases but not less than 2% on anything but crit, and maybe 20 more mana. So i keep my robe and hat. We killed the golem and went off to the dungeon. I made spectre armor and i checked the stats and compared it to my current gear. It went 20%-22% damage 12%-10% crit 13%-18% mana reduction and 60-80 mana. I put on the spectre pants over my meteorite pants and gained a whole 1% more damage. Now now the wisps yes do make it better but things will cost much more and i you will do a bit less damage but why the :red: is the spectre armor even comparable to a diamond robe and a wizard hat. Its just not right. The nebular armor is better by a ton, but without the wisps, spectre armor would be worse than a diamond robe, a wizard hat, and meteor pants. Why. Now yes some could argue the fact that the armor is really important on all of these sets but i mean in terms of damage, no armor gained in hardmode only should be comparable to something easy mode obtainable. Much less be worse than it.

But really though,
They need to either debuff the diamond robe and wizard hat,
Or buff everthing above it.
I would prefer the ladder.

Thank you for reading this far
-Theadonn

Firstly, lest compare the Adamantite armor set and the Wizard Hat + Diamond Robe + Meteor Leggings.
The DPS increasing could be caculated by (1+dmg%)*(1+crit%)-1 (also depends on the enemy's def and weapon's base damage)
Adamantite armor set: +17% magic dmg, +15% magic crit chance, +80 mana, -19% mana cost, 32 def. DPS: 34.55%
Mixed set: +22% magic dmg, +10% magic crit chance, +100 mana, -15% mana cost, 10 def. DPS 34.2%
We can see these two set actually gives similar DPS boost and mana effeciency, but Adamantite armor gives a much better defense so that you can ignore some weak enemies.

Other armors below Adamantite armor may not provides better DPS bonus but gives a better defense, which is useful if you are not good at dodging.

Also, some the armors above the mixed set provide good set bonus, like the Palladium gives a good health regeneration, Titanium gives a special buff to prevent damage once.

Finally, let's see the spectre set. The Hood does greatly reduced the damage, but it gives a 20% life stealing effect, which make it easy to fight though many bosses as well as the celestial event evenyou are bad at dodging.
The Mask, on the other hand, gives a set bonus that deal additional 33% damage to nearby enemies, which greatly increased the overall DPS.

Firstly, lest compare the Adamantite armor set and the Wizard Hat + Diamond Robe + Meteor Leggings.
The DPS increasing could be caculated by (1+dmg%)*(1+crit%)-1 (also depends on the enemy's def and weapon's base damage)
Adamantite armor set: +17% magic dmg, +15% magic crit chance, +80 mana, -19% mana cost, 32 def. DPS: 34.55%
Mixed set: +22% magic dmg, +10% magic crit chance, +100 mana, -15% mana cost, 10 def. DPS 34.2%
We can see these two set actually gives similar DPS boost and mana effeciency, but Adamantite armor gives a much better defense so that you can ignore some weak enemies.

Other armors below Adamantite armor may not provides better DPS bonus but gives a better defense, which is useful if you are not good at dodging.

Also, some the armors above the mixed set provide good set bonus, like the Palladium gives a good health regeneration, Titanium gives a special buff to prevent damage once.

Finally, let's see the spectre set. The Hood does greatly reduced the damage, but it gives a 20% life stealing effect, which make it easy to fight though many bosses as well as the celestial event evenyou are bad at dodging.
The Mask, on the other hand, gives a set bonus that deal additional 33% damage to nearby enemies, which greatly increased the overall DPS.
The terraria devs usually dont bother with anything like this but i think it is a valid point. The set effects while they do help, I personally just like more damage, however that may be obtained. IE spectre set yes i would upgrade into, because healing and damage. But i guess in the end its up to preference on if you want a challenge or not, the mixed set gives little defense so i feel it is good for a challenge.

Also the mixed set gives +80 mana and -18% cost, and the adamantite gives +100 mana.
And for the record im actually decent at dodging the pillars, but not the crawltipedes.

Also the mixed set gives +80 mana and -18% cost, and the adamantite gives +100 mana.

Just checked the wiki, it seems my memery is wrong, the diamond robe gives +80 mana and -15% cost. While the Adamantite Headgear does increase the mana by 80 rather than 100 (the Titanium counter part gives 100).

By the way, if you'd prefer DPS, you could try Wizard Hat with Gypsy Robe, it gives a 21% dmg and 16% crit chance, would give the best DPS until Spectre Robe.
Though the drawback is that it does not provide any Mana boost or cost reduce.

Just checked the wiki, it seems my memery is wrong, the diamond robe gives +80 mana and -15% cost. While the Adamantite Headgear does increase the mana by 80 rather than 100 (the Titanium counter part gives 100).

By the way, if you'd prefer DPS, you could try Wizard Hat with Gypsy Robe, it gives a 21% dmg and 16% crit chance, would give the best DPS until Spectre Robe.
Though the drawback is that it does not provide any Mana boost or cost reduce.
I think the cost reduction and more mana is more efficient. Well we beat the game already anyway though.

It gets even better if you use the Gypsy robe instead of the diamond robe (gypsy robe can be aquired even sooner if you're lucky).

However, be aware that with this set your defense is practically nonexistent, you give up everything to become a glass cannon.
But do you know why i really really like this? It favours skillful play, beginners in that set would die twenty times over, while a experienced player has little to worry about his defense since he got his dodging game on point (and naturally, kicks :red: with his attack power).

It gets even better if you use the Gypsy robe instead of the diamond robe (gypsy robe can be aquired even sooner if you're lucky).

However, be aware that with this set your defense is practically nonexistent, you give up everything to become a glass cannon.
But do you know why i really really like this? It favours skillful play, beginners in that set would die twenty times over, while a experienced player has little to worry about his defense since he got his dodging game on point (and naturally, kicks :red: with his attack power).
Dodging is best, :red: defense, IT JUST SLOWS ME DOWN!!!!
But i am pretty unlucky so -3-

Back
Top Bottom