Weapons & Equip Magic Lantern Upgrade Kit

canemuto

Terrarian
I started a new game and ran into the Skeleton Merchant while exploring. He just so happened to have the Magic Lantern. With the change to the Mechanical Mine Cart from just a cart, into a kit that upgrades all carts, I was wondering...

Could we change the Magic Lantern into a Lantern Upgrade Kit? Giving the "treasure revealing" ability to all light source pets? In the same manner as the Minecart Upgrade Kit gives all mine carts the laser probe via a toggle (On/Off) button, and also gives the Mechanical Cart item, The Lantern Upgrade Kit would give the "treasure reveal" ability via a toggle button and would also give the Magic Lantern item.

I know it wouldn't offer a ton, I just thought it would be nice to have that option on your favorite Light Pet.

Edit for balance:
Spelunker potions are available from chests on the surface, can drop from slimes, fished from Iron Crates and can be created via alchemy. The Magic Lantern doesn't reveal as much as spelunker potions. It just makes them glitter, you can't tell if it's revealing gold or copper, you have to dig to it to find out. It's arguably harder to find the Skeleton Merchant during a full moon in the cavern layer, while having enough gold (10) to purchase the Magic Lantern than it is to obtain a dozen spelunker potions.
That also makes me realize... the price can be increased for the sake of balance.

Or maybe it should be an end game post-ML item, but if that's the case, The Lantern Upgrade Kit should ALSO make all of your light pets as bright as Wisp in a Bottle or Suspicious Looking Eye, then you can choose any light pet, it will have max brightness and the treasure reveal ability.

REALLY... I'm just looking to open up options for customized character appearance, I'm not looking to change any game balance. I just want the aesthetic.

I'd be open to other suggestions for balancing the item because I strongly believe this is a good idea.

Last edited:
I started a new game and ran into the Skeleton Merchant while exploring. He just so happened to have the Magic Lantern. With the change to the Mechanical Mine Cart from just a cart, into a kit that upgrades all carts, I was wondering...

Could we change the Magic Lantern into a Lantern Upgrade Kit? Giving the "treasure revealing" ability to all light source pets? In the same manner as the Minecart Upgrade Kit gives all mine carts the laser probe via a toggle (On/Off) button, and also gives the Mechanical Cart item, The Lantern Upgrade Kit would give the "treasure reveal" ability via a toggle button and would also give the Magic Lantern item.

I know it wouldn't offer a ton, I just thought it would be nice to have that option on your favorite Light Pet.
then you could just combine the treasure revealing ability with the brightest light pet and boom, you have both with no trade off. No support

Back
Top Bottom