Weapons & Equip Make aglet a bit easier to obtain

MDMeaux

Steampunker
I've spent a few hours digging through my world to find an aglet to make lightning boots, and still haven't found it due to unlucky worldgen. I feel like the aglet is meant to be something which is nice to find in the first 15 minutes or so of the run, but it just gets annoying when you have to actively look for it later. I know that you can fish for it, but that can be even more tedious and RNG dependent. It would be good if there were some more reliable way to get it slightly later in the game to make it a bit simpler to get lightning/frostspark boots. Maybe make an NPC sell it after Skeletron is defeated, or some way to craft it using Hellstone/something from the Dungeon? I suppose something similar could be done for Climbing Claws and Radar, although I personally don't find the Ninja Gear or the Cell Phone to be as important every run as the lightning boots.

• Love
Reactions: Bry
You find it in surface chest and if you somehow can't find it, you'll be able to find it in another world.
'Farm another world' isn't a good answer. If you want one character to stick to one world - and when you have a bunch of endgame characters and worlds, you have good reason to think anything obtained by someone else is 'cheating.' Sure, an aglet's an aglet, but did I find it because I was running across the surface in my wooden armor/spelunking in shallow caves, or did I find it because I was DCUing straight across a world at '8?

That's a personal preference, but it's still bad game design to say 'if you couldn't find this necessary resource in one world, you should just create another.' At least there's some logic and cost/benefit with the alternates (at least corruption/crimson, the first four ores are just not balanced.) I often have trouble finding an aglet, especially if the world is small or I just get unlucky with surface gen. Or god forbid you're playing multiplayer and there's several people hunting for shoelace caps.

I think one subtle way to increase the frequency of aglets (as well as the radar and any other piece of early loot) is to remove the Throwing Knives and the Glowsticks from the 'main treasure item' slot and instead boot them to the common/optional items. Stick glowsticks in with torches and the knives with shurikens.

I agree, farming another world isn't really a solution. In my opinion it should not be needed. I have to say though, I don't think I've ever not found at least one somewhat near the surface. Maybe not within 15 minutes, but I don't feel you have to find it that quick anyway. On its own, the aglet is not much of a big deal.
When multi-playing, it becomes a bit of a problem, yeah, due to not being enough of them to go around. That's why I usually have the rule that if one person finds 'x' item on this world (and we know it's a possible rare item, aglets, lava charms, balloons, horseshoes, water walkers, etc.), others are allowed to import it.

I think that if you take a run across the surface while tripping on a spelunker potion, you can spot a lot of chests hiding beneath the surface. Have you tried that, MDMeaux?

The problem is, with the randomness with this game, anything is possible. You can start out with 3 aglets right next to you, or you will have to find a really hidden aglet under the ocean floor. I don't think there can be a real solution for this, unless you just tell the game to generate more chests. Problem here is that most people would start drowning in aglets.

My preferred solution would be to make them easier to get from crates, as well as other rare items. That way you don't even need to import items from other worlds when playing with 3+ people.

I think that if you take a run across the surface while tripping on a spelunker potion, you can spot a lot of chests hiding beneath the surface. Have you tried that, MDMeaux?
Yes, that is the first thing I always try. But I've had about 4 or 5 (medium) worlds where that hasn't yielded a single aglet. I have had to tear through the surface layer in strips until I find one, and it has taken me a couple of hours in some cases.

Yes, that is the first thing I always try. But I've had about 4 or 5 (medium) worlds where that hasn't yielded a single aglet. I have had to tear through the surface layer in strips until I find one, and it has taken me a couple of hours in some cases.
You are an unlucky guy, sir. I do sympathize. The RNG gods can be very unfair.

Might as well add that I also frequently have poor luck finding aglets and resort to the Hail Mary strategy of crates. Medium is also my default world size. For ten of my characters I remember, three could not find aglets in their world. I looked everywhere short of DCUing the surface layer to oblivion (which I don't like doing on maps I actually play.) Another found aglets but couldn't get a radar.

It's a 1/11 chance from every wooden chest, so it really is just bad RNG if none of the easily visible chests contain one, but there is an abundance of wooden chest loot, most of which are useless even for the time you find them, some which have limited use, and two which are crucial components of very popular endgame accessories. Not being able to find either of these is a problem.

Consider that gold and even ice chests have a much, much wider area to spawn in than wooden chests, making their loot more plentiful and less vulnerable to RNG. (Additionally, wooden chests also spawn exclusively in microstructures - they're just not as explicitly structure-shaped. They show up in particular surface caves, the large hills with z-shaped tunnels from one side, and under floating grassy bluffs.)

It's a 1/11 chance from every wooden chest, so it really is just bad RNG if none of the easily visible chests contain one, but there is an abundance of wooden chest loot, most of which are useless even for the time you find them, some which have limited use, and two which are crucial components of very popular endgame accessories. Not being able to find either of these is a problem.
So I guess the best solution would be to have the game evenly spread out the wooden chest loot upon world generation, so that there's an even amount of aglets, claws, radars, wands, etc.

It is certainly not 1/11 chance since ive opened more than 100 wooden crates and 50 more iron crates and i still cant get that aglet. Just for comparison i have 9 sailfish boots, 6 tsunami in a bottle, 6 anchors, 2 sundials, 2 radars, 2 Guide to Plant Fiber, (around 3 climbing gear but im not sure how many because i have got others from chests) and 1 umbrella.

Last edited:
It is certainly not 1/11 chance since ive opened more than 100 wooden crates and 50 more iron crates and i still cant get that aglet. Just for comparison i have 9 sailfish boots, 6 tsunami in a bottle, 6 anchors, 2 sundials, 2 radars, 2 Guide to Plant Fiber, (around 3 climbing gear but im not sure how many because i have got others from chests) and 1 umbrella.
Laluzi said chests, not crates. Crates are indeed a different story.

While I do think fishing/crates can be progression-breaking in other areas, I feel that this is a place where fishing/crate-opening makes sense to help the player find items that maybe didn't spawn in chests in their world. While I was looking at the drop rates on the wiki, though, I did find it odd that the surface-layer loot items had a lower drop-rate than the sailfish boots & tsunami in a bottle, both of which are equivalent to underground-layer loot (hermes/flurry boots & cloud/blizzard in a bottle) [1]. Perhaps the chances for these two items should be switched with the percentages for the surface-layer loot.

[1] Wooden Crate

Back
Top Bottom