Items Make permanent boost shimmer recipes no longer work after you've used the item

TheGoomba98

Terrarian
It's honestly hard to remember what permanent boost items (other than max HP and MP expanders) your character has already used. And since a lot of permanent boosts come from Shimmer, I think a good way to not end up with repeat items like this is to just make it so that, after you've used a permanent boost item that comes from shimmer, then transmuting the ingredient into the item no longer works, and the item is just left unchanged. (For example, if you've used a Gummy Worm already, then any subsequent Gold Worms you throw into Shimmer wouldn't be transformed.) This would be similar to how you can't fish up Advanced Combat Techniques after you've already used it, and how the Skeleton Merchant stops selling the Artisan Loaf after you've used it. (I also thought of the idea of permanent booster items like this having an automatic in-game checklist, but I thought that would be too unnatural in vanilla Terraria. I wanna see that become a mod, though!)

The issue stems from the lack of knowledge over the previous usage of the item, not the ability to shimmer more after using one. If for example, you wanted to stockpile some Gummy Worms, you would have to create a new character for each gummy worm, instead of throwing some gold worms in for Gummy Worms. This would also make converting multiple at a time difficult, causing it to become inconvenient in multiplayer. The skeleton merchant no longer selling the loaf after using one is also not a good idea, due to the previous issue of multiplayer. What we truly need is some way to see that we've used the permanent consumables.

Back
Top Bottom