Game Mechanics Make the Cake Buff Permanent

Sky High

Ice Queen
With the change to most other placeable buffs to be permanent, the Cake is left somewhat as an odd one out. The buff is powerful, yes, but I don't personally see a reason to make it last just two minutes. Probably the most likely reason is so that it isn't possible to maintain for long-term boss fights, but that's the best thing I can think of. Even with mining, the player can just place the cake, apply it, and then take it back again... so that's out as a reason too.

Now, if you are more well-versed in the balance of Terraria (which you probably are), and there is a good reason for Cake to not be permanent, by all means please tell me. If nothing else, it will help me better understand the game, and as one of my favorites that's very welcome indeed.

I remember seeing a suggestion that the cake buff should be longer, but cake should be a food item instead of a buff station. This makes parties an amazing random event as you basically get a free speed potion.

I feel like this would be more feasible and balanced rather than a PERMANENT speed buff.

I remember seeing a suggestion that the cake buff should be longer, but cake should be a food item instead of a buff station. This makes parties an amazing random event as you basically get a free speed potion.

I feel like this would be more feasible and balanced rather than a PERMANENT speed buff.

Personally, I would be incredibly opposed to the idea of it being a food item because of the random nature of parties. A less permanent nature is the opposite of the direction I want the cake to be taken in.

Also, is the implication that the parties aren't already a good random event?

Personally, I would be incredibly opposed to the idea of it being a food item because of the random nature of parties. A less permanent nature is the opposite of the direction I want the cake to be taken in.

Also, is the implication that the parties aren't already a good random event?
What do they have now besides cake? and as of now you only ever need 1

Honestly, I can't be sure if Sugar Rush! being a perma-buff would make any real difference at this point, seeing as how the Player has an obnoxious number of ways to power up in 1.4.4.6.

The only real trade-off I can gather, is the ability for Players to boost the game's difficulty, two (2) settings past Master Mode. I don't want to insinuate that these new-found buffs aren't fun to use, but it'd be dishonest to not address the fact that Terraria Classic and Terraria Expert, aren't significantly easier games than something like a 1.3.5.

I said it before and I'll say it again here, I'm always gonna be in the camp of limiting the number of Player-granted buffs, especially considering normal progression was padded-out with more alternative options, to smooth-out the difficulty curve, Skeletron & Queen Bee being prime examples [Finch Staff, Flinx Gear, Fledgling Wings, pre-Hardmode Mounts, etc].

On the flips-side of this, I've never really been a fan of digging and mining, and it looks as if Slice of Cake was made to subsidize the obvious grind of doing these activities; I'm always going to be a fan of a less-grindy-game.

That creates a bit of a conundrum, but last I checked, we already have a good number of "gotta dig fast" items in 1.4+, so I'm not even sure why Slice of Cake was necessary? Don't even get me started on the number of ways to boost your speed!
  • Mining Potion
  • Ancient Chisel
  • Gravedigger's Shovel
  • Miner's Set
  • Well Fed Buff
  • etc.
I personally find Slice of Cake to be an unnecessary "fluff item", and if I could personally reduce the buff, I would do it significantly. 5% movement, 5% mining speed buff +consumable Food Item, but what would the real point of that even be at this point, get my point? 😏 🤷‍♂️

Also it just occured to me the boost is called "sugar RUSH", and should in no way be permanent. In fact, there should be a "cake sickness" debuff that prevents it from being immediately eaten again for a few minutes after it wears off.

Back
Top Bottom