Weapons & Equip Make the Underground Desert weapons more worthwhile

Peavuh

Terrarian
Currently the Storm Spear and Thunder Zapper are FAR too underpowered for how hard of a biome the Underground Desert is, so maybe buff or rework them so they are worth to get because right now they have already been outclassed once you are strong enough to go find them (i know you can fish for them but i mean why would someone go fish for ages just for a half-decent weapon)

Even gem staves outclass the Thunder Zapper and the Blade of Grass is SO much better than the Storm Spear, yet both are harder to get than the better weapons.

I don't personally feel that the Thunder Zapper is outclassed by gem staves. On my recent mage playthrough, I used the Thunder Zapper alongside the Diamond Staff. It's DPS was similar (or maybe even slightly higher, I don't remember) and it was also cheaper and faster, making it good for close-range enemies and locking down casters. I do agree about the Storm Spear, though. Underground Desert is rough as a melee player in the early game and there's not a good chance of even getting the dang thing.

I feel like the Underground Desert weapons are pretty good, considering the only work you have to do to get them is survive the Underground Desert itself. And that is actually quite hard, but I haven't done a proper playthrough of the game in a few updates and I feel like I've heard somewhere that the difficulty was somewhat reduced. Getting them is kind of just RNG though. I don't know if I'd actively seek them out as an alternative to gem staves and stronger melee weapons, but if I do come across them, I find them to be really useful weapons that are on-par with high-tier craftable stuff at that stage of the game.

Although it looks to me like the Storm Spear is generally less helpful than some yo-yos and other items like that that are easier to get.

Thunder Zapper is huge for mages, having as far as I know the fastest firing rate of any of the pre-hardmode staves, as well as a comparative damage value.

I somewhat agree on the spear, but I think the issue lies a tiny bit more with the same-tier items being stronger than is necessary. As you mentioned, Blade of Grass is just so insanely better that the spear is a throwaway. That said, Storm Spear could also certainly use an upgrade.

While on this topic, the snake flute kind of sucks. It's faster than placing ropes, but that's about it. Snake is not permanent, it takes a while to go upwards, you can't climb until it finishes, it doesn't stack with anything, etc. It feels underwhelming. Maybe if it was a bit faster, and/or the player could climb it while it still is moving upwards?

While on this topic, the snake flute kind of sucks. It's faster than placing ropes, but that's about it. Snake is not permanent, it takes a while to go upwards, you can't climb until it finishes, it doesn't stack with anything, etc. It feels underwhelming. Maybe if it was a bit faster, and/or the player could climb it while it still is moving upwards?
I personally love the snake flute. Since you can place blocks next to it, you can use it almost like a pre-Hardmode Ice Rod, moving upwards really quickly. It goes 80 blocks upwards. I like it a lot. Great for reaching Sky Islands.

In Celebration Mk10 worlds, it can be easy to survive the underground desert due to getting decent-to-good armor early and accessories with their highest modifiers as well as weapons with their best modifiers, giving you a fighting chance in the underground desert during pre-hardmode.

I don't personally feel that the Thunder Zapper is outclassed by gem staves. On my recent mage playthrough, I used the Thunder Zapper alongside the Diamond Staff. It's DPS was similar (or maybe even slightly higher, I don't remember) and it was also cheaper and faster, making it good for close-range enemies and locking down casters. I do agree about the Storm Spear, though. Underground Desert is rough as a melee player in the early game and there's not a good chance of even getting the dang thing.
Honestly, the Diamond Staff is much easier to get, as Desert chests are ungodly rare (I do not understand why this is the case) and fishing for it is sheer RNG so it isn't really worth your time to go for it (the reason I'm complaining in the first place is i started a mage playthrough and the world generated with literally barely anything with mages (Gold, so getting the Diamond Staff would be much more annoying, barely any gems, no above-ground Wand Of Sparking, etc.) which made me have to resort to getting the Thunder Zapper, but due to bad RNG I didn't get it in half an hour of fishing and exploring the Underground Desert)

Also, I gotta say that they feel a bit boring, as they are some of the only electricity-based weapons in the game (the rest being mostly from the Martian Invasion) and i feel the weapons could be made more interesting and viable so the trouble is actually worth it

It was buffed at some point to drastically increase its height, but you probably know that. I always find this item to be an absolute must-have, as it's the easiest and most convenient option for placing blocks up high. You can also use 1 or 2 wooden blocks with it to reach sky island height.

Back
Top Bottom