Blocks & Decoration Make Walls Have a Foreground

I feel that it's kind of strange that when walls are placed you can see inside buildings, as if only one side is covered. I think that walls should have a translucent foreground when you're outside of the building and no foreground inside of the building.

I think I seen similar idea suggested before, but while it could be interesting in some cases, it would be probably tons of work to get it to work. it would probably require a whole new layer with special behavior, and you might would like to use different walls for the exterior of a building than for the interior... making it even more complicated... probably.

I can get behind this idea, but I think it would be very difficult to program and may not look as good as some people want it to be. Also it might make it more difficult to see inside of the buildings.
1. It would just be the sprite of the block that the wall originates from (I.E. wood walls=translucent wood block), so idk how it'd be hard to copy paste some sprites and make them slightly see-through.
2. the whole point is that it's slightly harder to see the insides of buildings. It would still be easy, because that's the point of translucency.

1. It would just be the sprite of the block that the wall originates from (I.E. wood walls=translucent wood block), so idk how it'd be hard to copy paste some sprites and make them slightly see-through.
2. the whole point is that it's slightly harder to see the insides of buildings. It would still be easy, because that's the point of translucency.
Maybe it could be a graphics setting that can be freely toggled, that way everyone can be happy.

putting aside the difficulties of coding it (if it's even possible)
it wouldn't really work that well when it's about more elaborate buildings. it wouldn't matter much with a wooden box, but think about for example if you use wallpappers, they look good for interior, but would not look that good for exterior, I think, and that's just one example...

Not just what the game considers "inside", but, what I mean, the main purpose of the idea would be, I think, that if you're not inside a building, you see the exterior (and can't see what is inside)
But what if you want the exterior and interior to have different walls? like gray brick exterior, fancy wallpapper interior?

Maybe if you have a wallpaper wall then the foreground copies the blocks you used to make the building?
Also, the game would define "interior" as "inside of a foreground wall"

Maybe if you have a wallpaper wall then the foreground copies the blocks you used to make the building?
Also, the game would define "interior" as "inside of a foreground wall"
But those are blocks not walls, so that's slightly different, plus if you include such a thing like foreground walls in a game such as terraria where nearly everything is customisable by the player, you can't say "it copies/assumes whatever" then you should make it so, that they are placed by the player, so player can choose what walls they would like...

Also, the game can't determinate "interior" as "inside of a foreground wall" for the purpose of where to create foreground walls... that's somewhat a paradoxon? there are no foreground walls by start...

But those are blocks not walls, so that's slightly different, plus if you include such a thing like foreground walls in a game such as terraria where nearly everything is customisable by the player, you can't say "it copies/assumes whatever" then you should make it so, that they are placed by the player, so player can choose what walls they would like...
Maybe you could have a quick cycle to choose foreground/background walls so you can change it.

Also, the game can't determinate "interior" as "inside of a foreground wall" for the purpose of where to create foreground walls... that's somewhat a paradoxon? there are no foreground walls by start...
If you're inside of a wall, you're on the interior. That's how the game already decides it.

Well, yeah, it could work with some way that allows the player to chose their own - or rather, place their own.

If you're in front of (certain) background walls. but not behind foreground walls because those does not exist right now.

The problem is: How does the game define what "Inside" is?
The game can already recognize when a house is suitable and put an NPC banner in the "house" not outside. It would probably use the same logic but for the player.

Also I think the foreground wall should just be the same recipe as a wall, just the walls would have "background" or "foreground" In the tooltip.

But yeah, I totally support this.

The game can already recognize when a house is suitable and put an NPC banner in the "house" not outside. It would probably use the same logic but for the player.
Also I think the foreground wall should just be the same recipe as a wall, just the walls would have "background" or "foreground" In the tooltip.
But yeah, I totally support this.
Hi there @falconstrike209, just a tip for going forward - please use the Edit button to add more to your post, instead of double and triple posting. :) I've merged your three posts into one.

Actually instead of making wallpaper be a problem we could just change how it works. Instead of being its own wall, it would exist on top of a wall.

Back
Top Bottom