PC Make Your Mouse Cursor More Visible

Now I can't go back to a normal mouse. If I ever use Terraria on any Desktop platform, and the cursor is normal, I immediately go edit the settings and change it. Gotta have that white border!

No special tools required, JSON is just text. Windows Notepad works fine.

[snip] But any plain-text editor — meaning "not a word processor" — will let you edit JSON files.

Personally, I love Sublime Text 3 (version 2 is equally awesome, minus a couple new things). Version 2 is free, I believe, but 3 is not - it does have a trial, though.

Anyway, it is amazing and supports many languages with proper formatting and coloring. A decent alternative is Notepad++ plus (huahaha) it's totally free! :)

*Edit: Actually, it looks like version 2 and 3 are both free. It's been a little while since I obtained my 3 so maybe they've changed it! ...or it was always free. Hmmnnnn.. anyway! Both are pretty great!

Last edited:
That config file helped alot Rube!
The black with white really is the best type of cursor for this game, they should make it standard!
Only thing i needed to redo when i replaced the file was the settings(music,resolution ect) but after that it worked like a charm :)
I hope it holds together with any future patches.

This is awesome! Wish I'd knew this earlier.
Here's a simple guide for those who aren't fully sure what to do. (Using Windows)
I know it doesn't seem necessary but there are some people who just don't know and would be too embarrassed to speak up about it.
First you find the Config file in My Games, Terraria. Right Click it, Open with, Notepad.
xxyDtAH.png

Then you'll come to this screen, scroll down until you find "ThickMouseEdges". It will have "false" as its value.
D7aNxh8.png

Change ONLY the word "false" to "true" like so.
ZxifXpx.png

And now you have a border around the mouse cursor! Don't forget to save the Config file or it won't keep the "true" value.

The black with white really is the best type of cursor for this game, they should make it standard!
I don't think they should make it DEFAULT, but I CERTAINLY think they should let people change the ThickMouseEdges config via the options menu ingame.

Also, I found one flaw in the black with white cursor: Fighting moon lord. The sky and other things around go dark, and the mass amount of white on and around ML makes it hard to see amidst the chaos.

I fought the Moon lord only once so far(He's HUGE!) and personally did't have problems with aiming,(was using Solar Eruption, so hard to miss) more problems where to aim where he was't at the moment for my rod of discord....
But if this fight is the only problem, i don't think its a such bad thing,since there are always ways to work around it, u have alot of seeker weapons that late in the game anyway.

I changed it from false to true, but now my mouse look really ugly, is ther a way to reduse the opacity of the highlight or something?

I changed it from false to true, but now my mouse look really ugly, is ther a way to reduse the opacity of the highlight or something?
I think you'll either have to choose subtle colors that you like, or just get used to it. I used to hate it, but now I don't like playing with a regular cursor.

Suggestion: you do not need that (slow) website to convert the number. You can use your browser!

In any modern browser, look for "Developer Tools" or "JavaScript Console". (Instructions for Chrome and for Firefox.)

Then type the hexadecimal number prefixed by "0x" to convert it to decimal, or type "(1234).toString(16)" to convert to hexadecimal. Look at this example:
n4ZcnbP.png

In the second case, the actual hex value is "0x00bbe61d" (i.e. you need to add leading zeroes).

Alternatively, you can even use Google search for that. Just search for 0xFFFFFF80 to decimal or 12345 to hex.

Can you put the folder to extract in the first post if at all possible? since the config's changed for some reason and lacks the ThickMouseEdges without extracting a config file similar to the one you suggested to extract, and sorry if this post doesn't make sense, i'm not good at wording things

By the way, Terraria 1.3.1 settings screen allows chaing the cursor glow, so there is no need to manually edit the JSON file anymore.

Just want to add that if people don't see the options anywhere in their menu, try DELETING the config.json. I apparently had a really old config file from years ago and for some reason the game didn't update/overwrite it.

After I deleted it today, the game generated a new config.json and my menu was suddenly FULL of stuff for 1.3 and later that was apparently supposed to be there the whole time, like the cursor options and smart cursor settings. Haha, oops?

Back
Top Bottom