NPCs & Enemies Martian probes

How should the programmers nerf the Martian Probe?

• Decrease martian probe spawn rate after your first Madness

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Make martian probes slower and easier to kill

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • I'm not bothered by Martians

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
no. my world has pain in the A when trying to find martian probe. its not hard like people said if you have good tactics. and arena.

I've only seen two probes so far. Killed the second too early, so lost my invasion.

Anyway... instead of the probe summoning an invasion, make them drop an item that can be used to craft an invasion-summoning item. Either like how Goblin Scouts drop Tattered Cloth (used to make the Battle Standard), presents can give the Snow Globe or ocean enemies drop the Map. They provide the means to start the summon, but it's still up to the player to bring it into action.

That would negate all complaints as far as I can tell.

OH! SUMMON TOOL?
Whoever suggested that (too lazy, Suspicious Looking Probe) is amazing. Props, Props to you!

I've been trying for a few Terrarian days to find one of those probes now... if anything I feel like they're too rare. ;( And the last one I saw decided to come right when I was fighting Skeletron Prime and got one-shot by a random nyancat rebound.

I agree that there should be a more reliable way to summon the invasion, other than having to wait for a probe that never comes until the worst possible time. All the other invasions got them, Goblins, King Slime, even the Eclipse can be easily summoned now, why not this one?

I know. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Well, not really, im pre hardmode.
I prioritize skeletron when im not even close to ready without other bosses.
Oh well.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436289323,1436289287][/DOUBLEPOST]That and im Xbox 360.
But i feel your pain ish

I notice that martian probes show up way too often in my world. I'm only lucky that I let 3 out of 8 get away after the first invasion. Within minutes of opening up my 1.2 world in 1.3, that first invasion came. It wasn't too tough, except for the saucers, which I could only slowly defeat with a piranha gun. But now, whenever I go out to try to build something, I find far too many probes.

Compared to the other invasions (pirate, snowman, goblin, other events don't count as they don't wait for you to finish a certain amount before ending), Martian Madness occurs way too often after the first initial invasion. If you do want to farm the invasion, you have to wait for a probe and deliberately get scanned by it. If you want to avoid the invasion, you have to go out of your way to hide from the probe, or kill it, both of which are a major annoyance when trying to build (or do the lunar events, I can imagine). The other invasions show up far less often after the initial invasion, but have an item to summon them which can be found or made. Martian Madness has no such item, and that's the big problem with this invasion.

I don't think that they are too hard to kill at all, and as for decreasing the spawn rate I need more to spawn, not less.

Just keep a Stardust Dragon around while you're building or whatever, mate. It kills the thing no prob. I've been trying to find another probe though, and haven't succeeded.
Need dat Cosmic Car.

I haven't beaten the lunar event. I haven't even beaten the frost moon or duke fishron yet. With only beetle armor, the spaceship does upwards of 70 damage per hit, and 120 with the beam.

My point is, if you're not looking for the martian invasion, you shouldn't need to worry about it showing up every 2-3 ingame days. After the first invasion, summoning should be almost entirely up to the player, like the other invasions. This way, it's more easily avoidable for the people who don't want to deal with it, and still triggerable for people who want more of the drops.

I wanna throw in my two cents: There should never be a probe allowed to spawn during another event/boss battle. First successful pumpkin moon attempt with new character was shattered by martians at about half-way through. :(

My suggestion, in addition to that: Please have a cooldown, like an hour irl, after a probe has been shot down. The player obviously didn't want martians, thats why it got shot down. I noticed stuff like two drones spawning literally only minutes apart, during the same Terraria night.

Something like a turret defense system that 100% shoots down probes in an area sounds really cool, too, but I see that it would be a lot of work to implement. (But maybe you could only fuel these turrets with something ypu get from aliens so you'd have to do an invasion once in a while... just tossing ideas around)

For the moment I would just love to have them not interfere with other events :)

Echoing that probes should not be able to spawn during invasion events, nor when anything else is going on, really. I think that post Golem is a little soon for them, make them spawn after defeating Fishron or an Ice Queen if they're going to retain their current behavior.

Alternately you can make them entirely passive mobs that just fly by and only summon the invasion if you attack the probe and it gets away, or you defeat it and it drops something like "Martian Distress Signal" which manually summons the invasion if you use it.

Just keep a Stardust Dragon around while you're building or whatever, mate. It kills the thing no prob. I've been trying to find another probe though, and haven't succeeded.
Need dat Cosmic Car.
Because everybody is going to have a Stardust Dragon right after exiting the Lihzard Temple.

Then again, 1.3 messed up gear progression anyway, you have to defeat Mech bosses to make a Terra Blade, which is outclassed at short range by the Seedler you fished up in early Hardmode, and then after defeating a Saucer you can drop what's basically a straight upgrade to both. Then you can use these to rush cultists, and if you manage to defeat Lunatic Cultist then you can suicide bumrush the Vortex Pillar and make Phantasm, which quite frankly was a mistake. That thing really should have been a ML drop for how ludicrously strong it is, even compared to everything else in the pillar tier.

Topic-wise: I have to agree that martian invasion is a pain in the *** to avoid / get, whichever is the case. There really should be a summoning item for this..

Then again, 1.3 messed up gear progression anyway, you have to defeat Mech bosses to make a Terra Blade, which is outclassed at short range by the Seedler you fished up in early Hardmode, and then after defeating a Saucer you can drop what's basically a straight upgrade to both. Then you can use these to rush cultists, and if you manage to defeat Lunatic Cultist then you can suicide bumrush the Vortex Pillar and make Phantasm, which quite frankly was a mistake. That thing really should have been a ML drop for how ludicrously strong it is, even compared to everything else in the pillar tier.

Phantasm is way too strong to be a fragment only item. should need Luminite bars imo even though I don't like ranged myself, I rushed the other 3 pillars with the phantasm to get myself the things I needed. oh well.

• In addition to the Martian Probe fix (see below) Martian Probes can no longer spawn near the world center, and their spawn chance has been reduced.
Martian probes now no longer spawn in the center of the map and have a lower spawn rate! Hooray!

Check the changelog. Probes won't spawn as long as the Cultists are at the Dungeon, meaning that Probes will not bother you unless you stop the cultists from spawning. Like with dirt.

Check the changelog. Probes won't spawn as long as the Cultists are at the Dungeon, meaning that Probes will not bother you unless you stop the cultists from spawning. Like with dirt.
Martian probes now no longer spawn in the center of the map and have a lower spawn rate! Hooray!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! WHYYYYYY?
This is terrible! Now you have to hunt them at the edges of the map, are super rare, and you have to have not killed Golem or have the Lunar Events going! You CAN'T stop the Cultists from spawning unless the Lunar Event is going on! Look at this!
CultistDisplacement.JPG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! WHYYYYYY?
This is terrible! Now you have to hunt them at the edges of the map, are super rare, and you have to have not killed Golem or have the Lunar Events going! You CAN'T stop the Cultists from spawning unless the Lunar Event is going on! Look at this!
View attachment 62108
Fill it all in with dirt.

Back
Top Bottom