Blocks & Decoration Mechanism Overhaul: Automation and Factories

Red H2O

Skeletron Prime
Hello once again, everyone! It is I, Red H2O, here with yet another long, rambling post where I mostly talk to myself. In this exciting edition, I create a long list of new mechanism items, including several new logic sensors, item sorters, and automatons! Let's jump right in, shall we?

Now, while some may see the new addition of Logic Gates and Mechanical Devices as being solely for adventure maps, I use them almost exclusively for farming. Some of my farms include Bait, Glowing Mushroom, Marble and Granite, etc. But why stop there? So many things could be automated for hoarders like myself, But before the nitty-gritty, we need something to pick up all of our loot for us.

Funnel
-Type: Furniture, Mechanism
-Placeable
-Dimensions: 2x2
-Use Time: 14
-"Picks up items that land on it"
-Rarity: White
-Max Stack: 999
-Crafting: 1 Gray Pressure Plate, 5 Iron or Lead bars, 20 Wires, and 10 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-These handy devices act as sort of vacuums for items. Any items above them are sucked up and placed below the funnel, where they will either fall or, if a chest is directly below the funnel, be placed directly into the chest. Can also be hammered to pull items out of chests, so long as the end of the funnel is touching the chest at one end.

So, now that we've done away with having to run and pick up loot from farms, what else do we need? Well, I like to think that you're all busy Terrarians with things to do; I can't logically expect you to hang around mob farms all day. If only you could clone yourself somehow...

Automaton
-Placeable
-Dimensions: 2x3
-"Acts as a player if activated"
-Rarity: Orange
-Crafting: 1 Target Dummy, 7 of each Mechanical Boss soul, 50 Cogs, 50 Wires at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-So, this is where things get interesting. When given a wire pulse, these Automatons turn on until given another pulse. When on, they act as if a player was standing there, meaning that enemies will target it, enemies spawn around it, etc. However, there are a few stipulations. If a player is on screen at the same time as an Automaton, enemies will attack the player over the Automaton; no Moon Event cheating! Additionally, only one Automaton can be active in a world at any given time. Turning on a second will automatically turn off the previous Automaton.

So now mob farms are fully automated! A few traps and conveyor belts, a funnel and automaton and those mobs won't know what hit 'em. But what else can we automate? Well, how about gardening?

Logic Sensor (Blooming Crop in Vicinity)
-Placeable
-Dimensions: 1x1
-"Detects crops in bloom within a give perimeter"
-Crafting: 1 Soul of Fright, 1 Iron or Lead Bar, 1 Wire at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-This logic sensor sends out a wire pulse if an blooming or mature crops (such as alchemy plants, Pumpkins, Strange Plants, etc.) are within a defined perimeter. However, how would you set such a perimeter? Read on, dear viewer.

Perimeter Marker
-Placeable
-"Creates ares for machines to work within. Four required per area per machine"
-Crafting: 4 Torches, 1 Wire, 1 Cog at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Makes 4
-These small brass-colored torches are only visible when holding another mechanism, like wires, actuators, etc. They must all be wired to the same color wire in a rectangular formation. Upon wiring them up, the area they enclose will become shaded whatever color wire was used. These areas can then be wired using the same color to any machine that requires a perimeter to work. Note: Player Sensors now require these perimeters to function.

Now that you have your gardening sensor and the area it works within, we need some things to hook up to this little farm we have going. How about something like...

Auto-Harvester
-Placeable
-"Automatically harvests blooming and mature crops. Requires a perimeter to work"
-Crafting: 1 Staff of Regrowth, 20 Wires, 30 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-This small but powerful contraption acts like a player hitting a crop with a Staff of Regrowth when given a signal: gathering up blooming crops and other plants in large quantities, as well as a large amount of seeds per plant. These collected items are spat out the bottom of the machine, and placed into a chest if one is below it. However, it does not re-plant seeds. For that you'll need...

Auto-Planter
-Placeable
-"Automatically plants seeds from connected chests. Requires a perimeter to work"
-Crafting: 1 Clay Pot, 20 Wires, 30 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-These machines functions like reverse Funnels when given a signal. They will extract any seeds from chests below them and place them onto the area they are assigned. Notice that they will place seeds from the chest in the order they appear, from left to right, top to bottom.

And there you have it! A fully-automatic, self-sustaining crop farm, with little to no hassle!

"But Red!" I hear you cry. "What else can we automate like this?!" Fear not, for I have yet a few more tricks up my sleeve!

Logic Sensor (Critter in Vicinity)
-Placeable
-"Detects critters within a certain perimeter"
-Crafting: 1 of any golden Critter, 1 Iron or Lead bar, 1 Wire at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-Performs in a similar manner to the Crop Logic Sensor: whenever any critter is within the area sanctioned off by the perimeter, a wire pulse is sent out for as long as the Critter is in the area. Wouldn't be much use without...

Auto-Netter
-Placeable
-"Catches critters within a certain perimeter"
-Crafting: 1 Golden Bug Net, 20 Wires, 30 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-When given a wire signal, any critter within the perimeter given is caught. Notice that they are not all caught at once; critters are caught about .5 seconds apart, from left to right in the area. As with other auto-functioning machines, the items are deposited out of the machine at the bottom, and into available chests.

Logic Sensor (Mature Tree in Vicinity)
-Placeable
-"Detects mature trees within a certain perimeter"
-Rarity: Blue
-Crafting: 40 Acorns, 20 Wires, 10 Iron or Lead bars at an Anvil
-Notice that this machine, while functioning like the other sensors, is unique for being available in pre-hardmode, when Wood is most useful. Detects any type of tree, regardless of biome.

Auto-Chopper
-Placeable
-"Chops mature trees within a certain perimeter"
-Rarity: Blue
-Crafting: 1 of each Wood type, except Dynasty, Spooky and Pearlwood, 20 Wires, 10 Iron or Lead bars at an Anvil
-Also pre-Hardmode. Despite not having Pearlwood in the recipe, this machine will still harvest Hallowed Trees in Hardmode. Chops down trees at the speed of a 75% axe-power Axe when given a signal. Chops trees down from left to right within the perimeter. Deposits chopped wood out of the bottom of the machine.

Auto-Miner
-Placeable
-Dimensions: 3x3
-"Mines out a given area"
-Rarity: Red
-Crafting: 10 Luminite Bars, 100 Wires, 100 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
-This big powerful machine is the only mechanism locked away behind the Moon Lord. When hooked up to an area and turned on, it will mine and collect any blocks within that area at the speed of one of the Lunar Pickaxes. As usual, blocks mined are shot out of the bottom of the Miner.

Now, that may seem like everything, but I have one last surprise for you all!

Item Scanner
-Placeable
-Dimension: 1x1
-"Scans items below it and sends out a signal for the given item"
-Rarity: Lime
-Crafting: 25 Martian Conduit Plating, 10 Wires, 10 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Makes 10
-This very special blocks will detect any items below it. When right clicking on the scanner, a small window will appear with a slot in the middle. Inside this slot a 'phantom' item can be put by clicking on the slot with that item. Note: this does not remove the item from your inventory, it merely tells the machine to scan for that item. When that item it put up to 3 blocks under it, a wire signal is sent. This can be used to create a rudimentary item organization system using conveyor belts, which would be handy for the mountains of loot these automated farms will make!

Phew! That was a lot of mechanical mumbo-jumbo! Have any questions, comments or concerns? I'd love to hear them below! Have a nice day.

I really approve of the funnel items, we need a way to spawn items, or a way to auto-store items!

Not sure if the devs are willing to do the others, though, since I don't think they're fans of afk farming.

Item Scanner
-Placeable
-Dimension: 1x1
-"Scans items below it and sends out a signal for the given item"
-Rarity: Lime
-Crafting: 25 Martian Conduit Plating, 10 Wires, 10 Cogs at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Makes 10
-This very special blocks will detect any items below it. When right clicking on the scanner, a small window will appear with a slot in the middle. Inside this slot a 'phantom' item can be put by clicking on the slot with that item. Note: this does not remove the item from your inventory, it merely tells the machine to scan for that item. When that item it put up to 3 blocks under it, a wire signal is sent. This can be used to create a rudimentary item organization system using conveyor belts, which would be handy for the mountains of loot these automated farms will make!

Phew! That was a lot of mechanical mumbo-jumbo! Have any questions, comments or concerns? I'd love to hear them below! Have a nice day.

What if it activated wires connected to it?

Then you could have better organized loot, where a bunch of loot from a bunch of different sources all goes down one conveyor belt, and when each item goes past the Item Scanner programmed to it, it activates an actuator that deactivates the conveyor belt beneath it, to fall into a funnel.

Also, what if there were a mechanism that could use an item as if a player had used it. Then you could do an automated fish or boss farm.

I made this animation for another thread to illustrate a fishing machine, but most of the mechanisms shown are similar to and can be replaced by those suggested here. http://imgur.com/xavbzqE

If the Auto Chopper and the Tree Sensor need a set perimeter, then they aren't really prehardmode. The Perimeter Markers are hardmode-only.

Ok, what's stopping me from making this perimeter stretch across the entire world? Other than the high wire requirement and the amount of time it would take, I could make a small world and do that! I suggest that the perimeter can only be so big. For example, you could make it so the perimeter can cover a maximum of 1000 tiles. Something like that.
Also, perimeters should only need two markers. You place the markers at opposite corners and wire them to each other and the mechanism(s) the perimeter is intended for, and you get a perimeter!

Thanks for reading this.

Im sorry but i couldnt really be bothered to read the whole post, i think from reading the other replies, its very complicated and not sure if everyone can understand it. Most updates are quite simple, say some extra enemies or nerfs / buffs for items. This is defenitely something that would make terraria look quite messy and clogged up. I think the devs want a cleaner and easy to understand game. Dont get me wrong, its a great idea! But i think the wiring technique is enough.

Ok, what's stopping me from making this perimeter stretch across the entire world? Other than the high wire requirement and the amount of time it would take, I could make a small world and do that! I suggest that the perimeter can only be so big. For example, you could make it so the perimeter can cover a maximum of 1000 tiles. Something like that.
Also, perimeters should only need two markers. You place the markers at opposite corners and wire them to each other and the mechanism(s) the perimeter is intended for, and you get a perimeter!

Thanks for reading this.
don't mean to necropost, but i should clarify it seems they're describing a two-dimensional perimeter - length and height

and great heavens why are we getting so many necros? aside from that, i like this suggestions. would add a lot to event farming and general farming. not sure if i support it though, it feels a lot like it should be a mod over anything.

don't mean to necropost, but i should clarify it seems they're describing a two-dimensional perimeter - length and height

and great heavens why are we getting so many necros? aside from that, i like this suggestions. would add a lot to event farming and general farming. not sure if i support it though, it feels a lot like it should be a mod over anything.
I think the reason we get necros is because people have an idea, then look up that idea, and find posts from 4+ years ago that have the same idea. It's probably a result of people following the server guidelines, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom