PC MetaKnight's Endgame 1.3 Loadout

SolaR

Golem
I made a thread about this for 1.2.4, but 1.2.4 loadouts aren't viable for endgame anymore. So here we go.

Armor:
The best choice in my opinion is Solar Flare armor, the Beetle Scalemail and Shell are better in their own stats (offense and defense respectively) but Solar is kind of a combination of the two, with great offensive and defensive capabilities. The set bonus is great, you can dash into enemies or use the shield for defense.

Accessories:
You have some choices here, but these accessories are the best for melee imo.
1. Ankh Shield, Mech Glove, or Fire Gauntlet- I don't really think that the Ankh Shield is all that useful at endgame, because knockback is less relevant and the debuffs aren't common at endgame and they're easier to deal with. I'd recommend using the Fire Gauntlet if you will use the Terrarian, but if not then the Mech Glove is probably a better choice.
2. Warrior Emblem- +15% melee damage, very solid accessory.
3. Celestial Shell- Increased stats day and night, and Werewolf transformation. The Merfolk transformation is also useful.
4. Yoyo Bag or Avenger Emblem- Use the Yoyo Bag if you're going to use the Terrarian, if not use the Avenger Emblem.
5. Celestial Stone or Destroyer Emblem (Fire Gauntlet if you're using the Terrarian)- I thought about putting the Destroyer Emblem here, but the Celestial Stone gives +10% dmg, like the Emblem, but also gives more stat boosts. If you want a higher crit chance, you could put the Destroyer Emblem here, but I'd go with the Stone.
6. If you're in Expert mode, then you can put the Avenger Emblem here if you used the Yoyo bag. If not put the Celestial Stone or Destroyer Emblem here, whichever one you didn't use.
Keep good Wings on you, just in case you're navigating through tight spaces or want to fly faster. When you need wings swap them with either the Celestial Stone or Destroyer Emblem, if you're in Expert and using both then the Emblem.

For the modifier, you have 2 choices, Violent or Menacing. ONLY use Violent if you're not using the Terrarian, because Violent doesn't give the Terrarian any boosts. If you're not using the Terrarian, then you can choose from Menacing or Violent. I don't recommend using warding because the armor already provides plenty of defense.

Weapons:
1. Legendary Star Wrath- This is used for places with open ceilings. This weapon can rack up massive DPS in the right conditions.
2. Legendary Meowmere- This sword has the highest base damage for a melee weapon in the game. Works excellent in enclosed spaces like the Dungeon because of the bouncing projectiles.
3. Godly The Terrarian- Paired with the Yoyo bag, this weapon can have higher DPS than the Meowmere. Similarly to the Flairon, it shoots out homing projectiles. It's basically Flairon 2.0.
4. (OPTIONAL) Godly Vampire Knives- Use these when you have healing sickness to heal.
5. Godly Daybreak- Rekts anything pre- Moon tier.
6. Godly Solar Eruption- Probably your primary wallhacking weapon, and it's cool.

There you have it, my guide to being OP without being a mage.

Last edited:
Actually, Beetle Armor with Scale Mail is still better offensively than Solar Armor. This is true even if the weapon is unaffected by melee speed boosts.

You forgot that accessories can be Lucky also. This generally beats out Menacing and Violent, because you get more +% damage from armor and accessories than +% crit.
Also, the Destroyer Emblem is better than the Warrior Emblem and the Avenger Emblem. The Mechanical Glove is better than the Avenger Emblem if you are going pure melee.

The Influx Waver, Flairon, North Pole, and Possessed Hatchet are all still viable. The Influx Waver's projectile is unaffected by gravity and can hit thrice, the Flairon covers more are with it's projectiles than the Terrarian (and the projectiles move farther), the North Pole's carpet bombing is still useful (along with firing straight up), and the Possessed Hatchet's homing is very convenient.

I'm a pure offense kind of guy, so I run Beetle offense with Celestial Stone (I like my vanities too much to use the Celestial Shell), Destroyer Emblem, Mechanical Glove, Warrior Emblem, and Avenger Emblem. In Expert, I add a Fire Gauntlet (all six are Lucky). Mobility is covered by my Lunar Hook and Cosmic Car Key or Shrimpy Truffle.
For weapons, I have the Daybreak, Vampire Knives, Solar Eruption, North Pole, Terrarian, Flairon, Influx Waver, Star Wrath, Possessed Hatchet, and Fetid Baghnakhs (the Meowmere hurts my ears too much for me to use it).

I prefer Solar Flare because although Beetle is still slightly better in either defense or offense, its way worse in the other. Solar Flare is nicely well-rounded. Also, the on-demand dash is both fun and useful.

Terrarian is definitely superior to other melee options if you can get your hands on it. Otherwise Solar Eruption or even Flairon is acceptable.

Here's how I rank the accessories:

Solar/Fishron Wings
Yoyo bag
Celestial Shell
Celestial Stone
Ankh Shield
Worm Scarf (if expert mode...not needed too much in normal)
Fire Gauntlet
Destroyer Emblem
Warrior Emblem

Actually, Beetle Armor with Scale Mail is still better offensively than Solar Armor. This is true even if the weapon is unaffected by melee speed boosts.

You forgot that accessories can be Lucky also. This generally beats out Menacing and Violent, because you get more +% damage from armor and accessories than +% crit.
Also, the Destroyer Emblem is better than the Warrior Emblem and the Avenger Emblem. The Mechanical Glove is better than the Avenger Emblem if you are going pure melee.

The Influx Waver, Flairon, North Pole, and Possessed Hatchet are all still viable. The Influx Waver's projectile is unaffected by gravity and can hit thrice, the Flairon covers more are with it's projectiles than the Terrarian (and the projectiles move farther), the North Pole's carpet bombing is still useful (along with firing straight up), and the Possessed Hatchet's homing is very convenient.

I'm a pure offense kind of guy, so I run Beetle offense with Celestial Stone (I like my vanities too much to use the Celestial Shell), Destroyer Emblem, Mechanical Glove, Warrior Emblem, and Avenger Emblem. In Expert, I add a Fire Gauntlet (all six are Lucky). Mobility is covered by my Lunar Hook and Cosmic Car Key or Shrimpy Truffle.
For weapons, I have the Daybreak, Vampire Knives, Solar Eruption, North Pole, Terrarian, Flairon, Influx Waver, Star Wrath, Possessed Hatchet, and Fetid Baghnakhs (the Meowmere hurts my ears too much for me to use it).

Hmm, I also used to think that a critical build in Terraria would be nice, until I read that the damage is doubled in critical hit after defense is applied.

If a monster had 0 defense, critical hit chance would increase damage output as much as increasing damage normally, but this is never the case, unfortunately. So I usually go with Menacing.

Hmm, I also used to think that a critical build in Terraria would be nice, until I read that the damage is doubled in critical hit after defense is applied.

If a monster had 0 defense, critical hit chance would increase damage output as much as increasing damage normally, but this is never the case, unfortunately. So I usually go with Menacing.
I did crit testing before. Ironically, critical hits were more consistent. Full critical builds have a more stable damage output, while full damage builds have higher highs and lower lows. If full Lucky gets to 1500 DPS, then Menacing would range from 1200 to 1800 DPS. The potential is there for it to kill faster, but you have to.. well, get lucky.

After all my testing, I think the best overall loadout is half and half of Lucky and Menacing (or 3/2 if in normal mode) but honestly, the damage difference doesn't matter much at all in the long run since DPS tends to level out so you should just invest whatever makes you feel happier (bigger displayed numbers vs critting all the time).

I did crit testing before. Ironically, critical hits were more consistent. Full critical builds have a more stable damage output, while full damage builds have higher highs and lower lows. If full Lucky gets to 1500 DPS, then Menacing would range from 1200 to 1800 DPS. The potential is there for it to kill faster, but you have to.. well, get lucky.

After all my testing, I think the best overall loadout is half and half of Lucky and Menacing (or 3/2 if in normal mode) but honestly, the damage difference doesn't matter much at all in the long run since DPS tends to level out so you should just invest whatever makes you feel happier (bigger displayed numbers vs critting all the time).

Hmm interesting, I gotta test it, I know, mathematically speaking, increased damage should beat increased critical hit chance on Terraria.
Did you test on the dummies? It's because they have 0 defense, this way the damage increase is the same for either critical hit chance increased or normal damage increased.

I've tested on both Spazmatism and dummies, I don't consider anything with 20 or less defense to be relevant for the defense argument since Ichor is stupid. If you can give me suggestions for an enemy that has 20+ defense and holds still long enough for me to test damage then I'll gladly do tests on that, but as it stands The Twins are probably still the best damage sponge testers right now because they hold still for so long.

I've tested on both Spazmatism and dummies, I don't consider anything with 20 or less defense to be relevant for the defense argument since Ichor is stupid. If you can give me suggestions for an enemy that has 20+ defense and holds still long enough for me to test damage then I'll gladly do tests on that, but as it stands The Twins are probably still the best damage sponge testers right now because they hold still for so long.

Duke Fishron is the best deal. He got a considerably big pool of HP (50000 on normal and 60000 on expert), and got a large amount of defense (50 on first phase, 40 on second phase).

Well, the thing is that while +% damage and % crit chance are each additive, they are multiplicative with regards to each other. As an example, let's assume we have a weapon that deals 100 damage and has a natural 0% crit chance.
If we have +100% damage and +0% crit, it deals 200 damage.
If we have +0% damage and +100% crit, it deals 200 damage.
If we have +50% damage and +50% crit, it deals 150 half the time and 300 half the time, averaging out to 225.

In general, DPS is maximized when +% damage (from armor, accessories, and accessory modifiers only; +% damage from weapon modifiers is multiplicative with other +% damage) and crit chance (all sources) are equal. Defense shifts the balance slightly in favor of damage, but like Agastya mentioned, Ichor is a thing (especially for melee). Also, armor and accessories tend to give more +% damage than +% crit chance, meaning you get closer to an even balance by using Lucky instead of Menacing.

Well, the thing is that while +% damage and % crit chance are each additive, they are multiplicative with regards to each other. As an example, let's assume we have a weapon that deals 100 damage and has a natural 0% crit chance.
If we have +100% damage and +0% crit, it deals 200 damage.
If we have +0% damage and +100% crit, it deals 200 damage.
If we have +50% damage and +50% crit, it deals 150 half the time and 300 half the time, averaging out to 225.

In general, DPS is maximized when +% damage (from armor, accessories, and accessory modifiers only; +% damage from weapon modifiers is multiplicative with other +% damage) and crit chance (all sources) are equal. Defense shifts the balance slightly in favor of damage, but like Agastya mentioned, Ichor is a thing (especially for melee). Also, armor and accessories tend to give more +% damage than +% crit chance, meaning you get closer to an even balance by using Lucky instead of Menacing.

Hmm, I see, what you and Agastya said is right, the best would be half damage and half crit chance, I calculated for Duke Fishron (second phase) and it's quite true:

On normal mode: Damage reduction = 0.5 * Defense
On expert mode: Damage reduction = 0.75 * Defense

If we have +0% damage and +0% crit, it deals 100 - 40/2 = 80 on normal mode (70 on expert mode)
If we have +100% damage and +0% crit, it deals 200 - 40/2 = 180 on normal mode (170 on expert mode)
If we have +0% damage and +100% crit, it deals 2 * (100 - 40/2) = 160 on normal mode (140 on expert mode)
If we have +50% damage and +50% crit, it deals 150 - 40/2 = 130 (120 on expert mode) half the time and 2 * (150 - 40/2) = 260 (240 on expert mode), averaging 195

I didn't quite realize before, gotta reforge my accessories haha.

May I suggest using the Processed Hatchet in your load out? Though I am aware it is not classed as a endgame weapon it still has fairly good range (considering in is a melee weapon) and the weapon chases enemies, allowing you to hit fast enemies and it can be a melee alternative to chlorophyte bullets. It has also been buffed in 1.3 allowing you to throw multiple hatchets before the first returns to you.

Decent damage + Good speed + Homing projectiles. What is not to love?

May I suggest using the Processed Hatchet in your load out? Though I am aware it is not classed as a endgame weapon it still has fairly good range (considering in is a melee weapon) and the weapon chases enemies, allowing you to hit fast enemies and it can be a melee alternative to chlorophyte bullets. It has also been buffed in 1.3 allowing you to throw multiple hatchets before the first returns to you.

Decent damage + Good speed + Homing projectiles. What is not to love?
Didn't know they buffed it like that. But the Terrarian has a lot of homing projectiles and stays out as long as you want, and absolutely INSANE DPS with Yoyo bag. Good idea though, it's good for a while.

The Terrarian Homing projectiles are incredibly slow and expire over a very short time.

I am talking about a weapon that you don't even have to aim properly to get the hits and pieces infinitely on the return.

Well, I suppose I'll comment with a little tip:

If you're on a Crimson world, fish up a Bladetongue.

Hitting something with it will cause the weapon to spit out Ichor that will bounce around a bit and will also cause the Ichor debuff, letting you use a different flask instead of an Flask of ichor.

*themoreyouknow*

Hitting something with it will cause the weapon to spit out Ichor that will bounce around a bit and will also cause the Ichor debuff, letting you use a different flask instead of an Flask of ichor.

*themoreyouknow*
Bladetongue is my melee goto before I can get a seedler since you can get it right at the start of HM

Bladetongue is my melee goto before I can get a seedler since you can get it right at the start of HM

Yup. Shame they nerfed Seedler, though. You use to be able to fish it up at the start of HM from the Jungle, now its solely a post-Plantera item since Plantera drops it.

It was for the best, though. The Seedler's overpowered as heck vs. the Mech bosses.

*themoreyouknow*
I don't think there are any flasks worth it apart from the ichor one, though.

Back
Top Bottom