Weapons & Equip Mike's suggestion #1: Balancing Mimic weapons.

MikeB

Terrarian
Hello there! It is Mike. And this will be my first suggestion for Terraria, despite having played the game for 4 years. And this suggestion revolves around the balance of the mimic drops, specifically the Stormbow, and the Crystal vile shard.

So. To begin this. I'm going to start with litterally the worst weapon in the game, in terms of avalibility and usage during the point you obtain it.

Crystal_Vile_Shard.png
Crystal vile shard.
Type Weapon
Damage 19 (Magic)
Knockback
3 (Very Weak)
Mana
Critical chance 4%
Use time 32 (Slow)
Velocity
Tooltip Summons a massive crystal spike
Rarity
Sell
Gold_Coin.png

Now. In order for this weapon to become better, something has to be done with that damage, because not only does it only do 19 damage, being the weakest weapon dropped by any type of mimic. But it is also affected by the game mechanics, due to the penetration, making it, so that it only will be able to hit an enemy approximately 3 times. If now the weapons damage method worked like, E.g the Solar Eruption
Solar_Eruption.png
which deals damage per fragment. If that happened, and or a damage buff would happen, (maybe like 24 to 27 damage, you pick) it would be considered even with all the other weapons (except the flying knife, because that sucks too :()

The next weapon would be the Daedalus Stormbow

Daedalus Stormbow
Daedalus_Stormbow.png

Type Weapon
Damage 43 (Ranged)
Knockback
2.25 (Very Weak)
Critical chance
4%
Use time 18 (Very Fast)
Velocity
Tooltip Shoots arrows from the sky
Rarity
Sell
Gold_Coin.png

Now. Here, we have the exact opposite problem, compared to the Crystal Vile (vile as in it SUCKS) Shard.

The stats don't seem to powerful, but once in use. One soon goes to realize, that this weapon is an absolute powerhouse, rivaling some of the best bows in the game with ease.

From every "shot", up to four arrows are fired, and since it has an rpm of roughly 240 (4 shots per second), it means that in a matter of a singlular second, one would be able to do over 180 damage, and even more if given the right circumstances. I tested the weapon's efficiency in an expert run around 2 years ago when 1.3 was released. And to make matters worse (the fact that it is overpowered), it could handle 3 mechanical bosses at the same time, only using holy/ichor arrows, aswell as the reasonable accessories (star veil, wings, quiver, emblem etc.).

The best way to nerf this without breaking it comepletely, is by reducing the fire rate. Let's say, that instead of it shooting 240 arrows per minute, it would go down to shooting 180 arrows per minute. That would reduce the dps greatly, but not so much so it becomes useless.

Another thing i might put up in another suggestion, would be, that summoning should be extended in pre-hardmode, and that Pearlwood armor should be obtainable in prehard-mode, but i'll come to that.

That was my first suggestion. Let me know what you think down below.

- MikeB (ELiJO)

Also. The fact that the vile shard uses so much mana, makes it very expensive to use, due to having to buy mana potions all the time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the issue with the Stormbow is not that it fires multiple arrows, but in that Holy Arrows were not balanced around a shotbow being made available pre-mech.

Any nerf you make to Stormbow will be too much and make it nearly unusable without using Holy or Luminite Arrows. Making it fire a unique projectile will remove the fun of raining Hellfire Arrows from the sky or watching multiple laser beams strike down a location through Luminite Arrows, and reducing its power will render it outclassed by basic repeaters that you can actually aim.

Hallowed Stars from Holy Arrows could be reduced to doing a quarter of the damage the main projectile does instead of half and would still be perfectly usable, along with not needing to kill Stormbow's charm.

Also, we've had this weapon for around two years now, and this is a game that a few imbalanced items existing won't ruin. I don't see it changing any time soon.

But I like the flying knife. :(
I like it too, unless I'm in combat.
[doublepost=1498029830,1498029687][/doublepost]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the issue with the Stormbow is not that it fires multiple arrows, but in that Holy Arrows were not balanced around a shotbow being made available pre-mech.

Any nerf you make to Stormbow will be too much and make it nearly unusable without using Holy or Luminite Arrows. Making it fire a unique projectile will remove the fun of raining Hellfire Arrows from the sky or watching multiple laser beams strike down a location through Luminite Arrows, and reducing its power will render it outclassed by basic repeaters that you can actually aim.

Hallowed Stars from Holy Arrows could be reduced to doing a quarter of the damage the main projectile does instead of half and would still be perfectly usable, along with not needing to kill Stormbow's charm.

Also, we've had this weapon for around two years now, and this is a game that a few imbalanced items existing won't ruin. I don't see it changing any time soon.

I was primarily trying to get the Crystal vile shard buffed, due to it being absolutely useless in every single situation there is. It is bad for boss fights, it is bad for events, it is bad for general use, as a penetration weapon, it is really really bad against the destroyer.

Back
Top Bottom