Moon lord anti climax?

sqweek

Terrarian
Once you kill his hands, head, and the true eyes of cthulhu, he seems to be completely defenseless leaving you free to wail on him mercilessly?

The more parts you destroy, the more eyes appear. They are big, can clone and charge at you, making dodging a bit hard.

The true eyes are invincible

O RLY?

2015-10-21_00001.jpg 2015-10-21_00002.jpg 2015-10-21_00003.jpg

I can make an educated guess on how you destroyed the indestructible eyes...

Please go ahead! =)
I don't want to give too much away without giving people a chance to experiment, but I promise this is 100% legit. No image editing or external tools involved, just plain old Terraria 1.3.latest.steam.version

Guess I'll have to apply Occam's Razor to this until an actual explanation is given.

No please, do explain. I've spent hours smacking those critters around without any results, just like the invincible dungeon 'enemies' so my guesses all involve 0% legit methods. Of course, I've heard the definition of "legit" may vary if you stare at it hard enough. The fact all your images have 500 health point to either an exploit that wasn't caught/fixed yet (TAG ALL THE DEVS!) Or a cheating engine. Some of the most advanced ones can be used to de-spawn things in games, so yeah.

You can actually run over invincible enemies with minecarts to kill them. Not sure if that's what he did here, but it actually works.

If that's a thing, it should be fixed in the next patch, then. Else it will look like selective nerfing, "can't use the nurse but can use a minecart to cheese!

Well, this is certainly interesting - I'm quite curious whether the eyes were killed by the minecart or via some other in-game way. I had no idea minecarts could kill invincible enemies :). You should come over to T-MEC and start up a thread demonstrating the minecart approach if you're up for it!

The fact all your images have 500 health point to either an exploit that wasn't caught/fixed yet (TAG ALL THE DEVS!) Or a cheating engine.

How is this a fact? You can just dodge the Moon Lord's attacks and maintain max health throughout the fight. Plus, in the pics there are no more attacks left to dodge.

If that's a thing, it should be fixed in the next patch, then. Else it will look like selective nerfing, "can't use the nurse but can use a minecart to cheese!

There's nothing wrong with selective nerfing. The devs got rid of approaches that were too easy to execute, such as teleporting out of range or standing on a spike or standing still with the LMB pressed to health steal. I doubt they care that much about methods that actually require some ingenuity and effort.

You can actually run over invincible enemies with minecarts to kill them.

Yep! The true eyes faced the true death by minecart. Nariofan wins the thread ^_^

I was struggling to survive vs. expert mode moon lord so I built a minecart track hoping it would let me dodge more attacks. So it was by complete accident I stumbled on (into?) this interaction. It could certainly be a bug, ultimately that's for the devs to decide.

I'm not setup for recording videos atm, but its pretty straightforward to pull off once you're aware of the possibility. Just in case equipment is relevant, I'm using the mechanical minecart with the solar armour. I'm 95% sure the technique worked before I had the armour, it's possible I had the shield of cthulhu equipped back then.

Well, this is certainly interesting - I'm quite curious whether the eyes were killed by the minecart or via some other in-game way. I had no idea minecarts could kill invincible enemies :). You should come over to T-MEC and start up a thread demonstrating the minecart approach if you're up for it!

How is this a fact? You can just dodge the Moon Lord's attacks and maintain max health throughout the fight. Plus, in the pics there are no more attacks left to dodge.

There's nothing wrong with selective nerfing. The devs got rid of approaches that were too easy to execute, such as teleporting out of range or standing on a spike or standing still with the LMB pressed to health steal. I doubt they care that much about methods that actually require some ingenuity and effort.
This is an exploit, and doesn't require ingenuity or effort. Just run them over and go nuts.

All it could take is 5 iron 5 wood and jumping off a ramp.

I doubt it's that simple. Given that the Moon Lord is in constant motion relative to you, and given that the eyes are pretty active themselves, you'd need to put in more effort to ensure a certain level of consistency. In fact, I think it would be quite interesting to see if an automated system can be built involving minecarts which would destroy the eyes as they get released from the hands and head.

@Yoraiz0r please. If healing with the Nurse was cheesing, this is Gruyere cheese-levels.

No, I don't think it is. I actually quite like the idea of minecarts destroying otherwise unkillable enemies. It's nice to have options beyond clicking the LMB to beat a boss.

I doubt it's that simple. Given that the Moon Lord is in constant motion relative to you, and given that the eyes are pretty active themselves, you'd need to put in more effort to ensure a certain level of consistency. In fact, I think it would be quite interesting to see if an automated system can be built involving minecarts which would destroy the eyes as they get released from the hands and head.

Not really. The true eyes try to position themselves above their target when they're not performing an attack and will end up ramming you if you aren't moving due to inertia so it's trivial to make physical contact with them even if you're completely immobile. Moon Lord's actions are irrelevant because he has no way of damaging you directly once the eyes are out barring collision with the mouths on his hands (which barely does any damage), and if you aren't moving he won't be able to touch you with those any way.

No, I don't think it is. I actually quite like the idea of minecarts destroying otherwise unkillable enemies. It's nice to have options beyond clicking the LMB to beat a boss.

Disagree with that, none of the bosses are set up in such a way that they can deal with someone rolling in one direction on a cart with enough defence to resist the odd projectile that makes it over to them, just put a ceiling above the track to block his death laser and use piercing weapons and ML is screwed. I don't care either way but if the devs care enough to nerf other exploit-ish methods of killing the boss then it wouldn't be surprising if this bug was fixed, too.

Not really. The true eyes try to position themselves above their target when they're not performing an attack and will end up ramming you if you aren't moving due to inertia so it's trivial to make physical contact with them even if you're completely immobile. Moon Lord's actions are irrelevant because he has no way of damaging you directly once the eyes are out barring collision with the mouths on his hands (which barely does any damage), and if you aren't moving he won't be able to touch you with those any way.

So in other words, the ML and the Eyes are in constant motion when you're using minecarts, which was the point in the first place.

Disagree with that, none of the bosses are set up in such a way that they can deal with someone rolling in one direction on a cart with enough defence to resist the odd projectile that makes it over to them, just put a ceiling above the track to block his death laser and use piercing weapons and ML is screwed. I don't care either way but if the devs care enough to nerf other exploit-ish methods of killing the boss then it wouldn't be surprising if this bug was fixed, too.

This is a game that encourages and rewards building and engineering; it's not just an adventure game. Killing bosses through engineering is thus not "exploit-ish" or "cheesy"; it's simply another way of enjoying the game by using resources provided to you by the game developers. Also making a comparison between building arenas or farming systems and standing on a spike or clicking on the nurse is a bit dishonest. The former should be encouraged, and the latter should be fixed.

So in other words, the ML and the Eyes are in constant motion when you're using minecarts, which was the point in the first place.

They're always trailing behind you, Turn the cart around.

This is a game that encourages and rewards building and engineering; it's not just an adventure game. Killing bosses through engineering is thus not "exploit-ish" or "cheesy"; it's simply another way of enjoying the game by using resources provided to you by the game developers. Also making a comparison between building arenas or farming systems and standing on a spike or clicking on the nurse is a bit dishonest. The former should be encouraged, and the latter should be fixed.

It's not deniable that it takes significantly more mechanical skill, ingenuity, and technique to beat any boss through more "normal" means than it does to use something such as runway or tanking. But that's besides the point, I never said I thought they'd give him countermeasures to carting away, I said that I think they'll fix the bug where you can kill invincible enemies with the cart. It might take more effort than it does to camp on a spike, but unless someone officially states that it's intentional we should assume that it was not, and bugs like this don't usually last forever after becoming known.

It's not like there's no precedent for this, either. Fighting Fishron while not being near the ocean pre-1.3 was probably still harder than fighting Moon Lord with a minecart and yet they saw fit to give him Enrage any way.

Back
Top Bottom