Items More uses for Worm Teeth (+ Crimson counterparts)

zenithspeed

The Destroyer
(I am 100% sure that there have been suggestions like this before, as usual, feel free to merge/remove)
Right now, Worm Teeth, dropped from Devourers in the Corruption, have one use: Unholy Arrows... yeah, that's a bit underwhelming. Here's some of my ideas on how it could be used.

0. Crimson Counterpart
The worm teeth are a corrupt exclusive as far as I know. The crimson lacks a true counterpart to them, however my idea for this are Crimson Eyes. You'll see why this is important later. The Crimson Eyes could be obtained by killing Face Monsters (they have pretty big eyes on their sprite) or have them drop from the BoC eyeball minions, though that would be a bit overkill so maybe just have it as a very low drop chance (and besides, they already drop Tissue Samples and Crimtane Ore).

1. Artificial Altars
In the banner of the September update rundown thingy, on the left you can see a vaguely demon altar-shaped thing in a jar. Many players speculate that this could be an item for placing artificial altars. For now, we'll assume it is one.
The demon altar sprite visibly has brownish spikes that match the appearance of worm teeth. Thus, if the "artificial altar placer" would have a recipe, it could be 3 to 9 worm teeth, 20ish ebonstone, and possibly other materials, such as souls of night, crafted at either the altars themselves, an ancient manipulator, or whereever else.
For the Crimson equivalent, letting you place crimson altars, swap out the worm teeth with crimson eyes and the ebonstone with crimson eyes.

2. Upgrades to the Ball O' Hurt and The Meatball
In a similar way to the Mace and Flaming Mace, what if the evil biome flails (corruption's Ball O' Hurt and crimson's The Meatball) could be upgraded too? Using worm teeth/crimson eyes, they could get similar upgrades:
Ball O' Hurt -> Ball O' Teeth
(Ball O'Hurt + 32x Worm Teeth @ Anvil(?))
Tooltip: "Now with sharpness five!" (Minecraft reference:happy:)
The Ball O' Teeth's sprite would be like the normal one but with the worm teeth sticking out like spikes, proper medieval mace style. It deals extra damage and has a larger hitbox but is a bit slower due to the added weight of all the teeth.
The Meatball -> The Grossball (no idea for names, sorry)
(The Meatball + 16x Crimson Eyes @ Anvil(?))
Tooltip: "Yuck."
Sprite and behaviour is vastly different, with the eyes seemingly embedded and grown into the metallic flail head, possibly dripping stuff. The hitbox is the same, but the eyes could shoot little squirts of blood (similar to the Flower Pow from Plantera) at a low fire rate that are significantly affected by gravity and become smaller and less damaging the further they travel. Yeah, it sounds gross. A bit of a damage and/or range nerf (compared to the unupgraded one) may be needed in order to counter the advantages of the added ranged projectile.

2. Tooth Blade/Eye Roller
Two brand new weapons, because why not?
Tooth Blade
(6x Worm Teeth + 2x Ebonwood or Ebonstone @ Anvil or Workbench)
A bit similar to the Mandible Blade in the desert and the Tentacle Spike also found in the corruption, but oh well. Average size and damage, below average speed and knockback. Possibly an upped CSC to like 12%? It doesn't have any real gimmicks, but maybe it could have minimal armor penetration (like, 5) due to the sharpness.
Eye Roller
(20-60x Crimson Eye @ N/A)
Now onto a completely different weapon, this time with ALL the gimmicks. When used, the player throws a crimson eyeball (around the size of one block, a bit smaller would be even better) at high speed that has very low friction (doesn't lose a lot of speed) and is quite bouncy, but cannot pierce, exploding into a bloody pile and dealing its damage upon contact with an enemy. Somewhat similar to spiky balls from the goblin army. These could be thrown rather quickly too, but not so quick as to be a massive DPS beast in the early game. Possibly make it so that eyes that are unexploded but stationary can be hit with a golf club, and if it lands in a golf cup (regardless if hit prior or thrown from player), the chat could display something like "[player name] sunk the... eyeball in [X] strokes!...", could either be a gimmick OR reduce golf score (only use would be to get the score-related messages from the golfer though).

3. Stitched Mask/Bundle of Eyes
Vanity hats/accessoroes, but maybe could have a unique function if placed in functional slots?
Stitched Mask (not to be confused with EoW Mask)
(15x Rotten Chunk + 4x Worm Teeth @ N/A)
Tooltip: "One can clearly see the stitching, but hey, atleast you DIY'd it like a champ."
Looks like a poorly made Eater Of Souls head, with stitching visible and the overall thing fitting on your head poorly. If it were functional, it could make them be peaceful to you (similar to Royal Gel from Expert King Slime).
Bundle of Eyes
(30x Crimson Eye + 5x Tissue Sample @ N/A)
Tooltip: "SMALL EYES ARE ALWAYS WATCHING YOU" (reference to George Orwell's 1984)
Looks like a bunch of tiny eyes that cover the player's entire head, mostly pale red in color by default. Maybe a hole for the player to see through? If it were functional, it would scare away NPC's, allowing you to "guide" them to a location if you're precise enough, which could have some niche uses (for most, NPC drop farms are probably the first that come to mind).

Those are all of the ideas I have for now, if you want to give feedback/criticism or have other ideas that you want me to flesh out in more detail, then feel free to comment.

Last edited:
This is mostly pretty good, I have one thing to say about each of the categories.
1. The Grossball is nearly identical to the Drippler Crippler in terms of design (kinda goes back to crimson-blood moon issues though.)

2. You'll probably have to think of something better than the Tooth blade, the eye roller seems better in every way. The tooth blade is just another earlygame sword weapon and as you said yourself, quite similar to the Tentacle spike.

3. Bundle of eyes function is an amazing idea, but I don't want that to be biome-exclusive, so I'd just change the corruption one to have the same effect (plus the current effect for it doesn't fit in with the game super well and is kind of odd)

I think it being used to craft a new boss would be pretty dope as well. Though I don't think they plan to add anymore bosses? I could be wrong I haven't kept up to date

Great ideas! I agree with the stuff Orchamut said but overall this seems pretty vanilla and a good way to give worm teeth more love.

I will add that the Tooth Blade’s name does sound kinda similar to the Blade Tongue. I would personally call it the Toothy Grinder (because puns).

call it the mashtooth
1696963788672.png

This is mostly pretty good, I have one thing to say about each of the categories.
1. The Grossball is nearly identical to the Drippler Crippler in terms of design (kinda goes back to crimson-blood moon issues though.)

2. You'll probably have to think of something better than the Tooth blade, the eye roller seems better in every way. The tooth blade is just another earlygame sword weapon and as you said yourself, quite similar to the Tentacle spike.

3. Bundle of eyes function is an amazing idea, but I don't want that to be biome-exclusive, so I'd just change the corruption one to have the same effect (plus the current effect for it doesn't fit in with the game super well and is kind of odd)
1. I was aware of the similarity between the Drippler Crippler and this, didn't have any better idea.
2. Yeah, I was already running out of ideas by then lmao
3. I do agree, actually.

Yeah, I was already running out of ideas by then lmao
I do agree, actually.
1. Maybe just make it so that the tentacle spike is corruption only (I mean, it is purple, not fleshy) and can be crafted with worm teeth, with its counterpart being the eye roller
2. If the crimson eyes cannot be obtained via face monsters and only creepers, it would be quite unfair for people with crimson worlds since the bundle of eyes would be harder to get, so either change the recipe for the stitched mask to contain EoW scales or make it obtained via face monsters and make the eye roller less OP since it is really OP for something crafted from face monsters

Worm teeth! I forgot about those. I generally like these ideas, but I think the vanity ones work best, although I'd remove functionality from them and just let them be bizarre-looking vanity pieces.

Back
Top Bottom