Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No (Please post why)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Skulgan

Official Terrarian
I have gotten the feeling lately that The Eye of Cthulhu needed a Corruption counterpart.

No, not a :red:ty, Eye of Cthulhu reskin with black sclera and green pupil that took little no no effort to make. Something more original.

But before I get roight into the news, let me answer some questions that are bound to be asked:

"Why are you doing this?"
I feel as if The Eye of Cthulhu being a boss that you can fight in either Corruption or Crimson is off-putting. Sure, it would have been fine a couple updates ago when the Crimson didn't exist. But when the Brain of Cthulhu was added with the Crimson and was a Crimson specific boss, The Eye of Cthulhu seemed to fit better as a Crimson specific boss rather than both; because then you have two Cthulhu related bosses in one world, not just one in another and two in one. Motheye is a bug related boss that should fit the Corruption well.
"Why a bug?"
I chose a moth to so it can relate to the EoW much like how the EoC and the BoC are related, both are organs. So now there is a Corruption moth boss and a Corruption worm boss, both are bugs that are normally overshadowed by prettier bugs similar to them (Worm < Caterpillar, Moth < Butterfly). It makes more sense the more you think about it.

"How similar is it to the Eye of Cthulhu?"
While it won't be completely different (Like the EoW and the BoC), it won't be exactly alike, either, I'll explain more in the AI section of this thread.

"Sprites?"
Probably not happening, but there will be a visual section so you can get a basic idea of what it looks like.

With that out of the way, let's get into this thing.

Visual
Motheye is a moth with a large abdomen and a three segmented body. It's head as a long straw-like tube that some butterflies have that it uses as a mouth, it has one large eye in the center and three smaller eyes to the left and right of the middle eye. It's wings have a eye-like marking on each "bump" on the wing.
When in it's second form, it's face sheds away to reveal it's true face. The entire face is a gaping mouth with sharp teeth and a long tongue hanging out of it, looking similar to the tube in it's first form. The abdomen also gets a long, sharp stinger.
Main Changes
For one, the Eye of Cthulhu will now spawn in Crimson worlds, Motheye in Corruption worlds.

That's about it.
AI (Artificial Intelligence)
Ooh boy, here's the fun part...
The moth will float around the player, shooting a purple, toxic ball from it's eye which deals poison periodically. Once it does this three times, it will charge at the player, which will deal more damage than the toxic balls but does not inflict poison. Other than that, it's nothing special.
Once it reaches 50% of it's health, however, it's face sheds away as stated in visuals. Now Motheye will wait a little bit before charging three times at the player. If hit, the charge will deal the same amount of damage while also inflicting the poison debuff.

On Expert Mode, Eyemoth shoots 5 toxic balls instead of three, and in its second form it will charge more often. Along with this, defense, attack, and poison duration is increased.

Drops
Pretty much the same basic drops as the EoC if in a Corruption world, demonite ore, corrupt arrows, and health potions. But it's the boss specific items that are fun.
It has a chance of dropping the "Eyemoth Mask", it is a mask that looks like the second form of Eyemoth.
It will also drop a trophy of it's antennae.
In Expert, the Eyemoth will drop it's Treasure Sack, which carries the "Motheye Stinger" a equip item that allows you to dash, upon hit, you will "Sting" the enemy, this will deal 15 damage and inflict temporary poison.
Other Tidbits
It spawns under the same conditions of the EoC, the summoning message being "You can't seem to get rid of the buzzing in your ear..."
I thought this up at school because I was bored as :red:.
I have juggled the name for this one, I've thought up either "Motheye" or "Eyemoth", both are equally original. Neither are the same.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome! I still think the EOC should spawn in corruption worlds, as it's an inseperable part of the game, similar to blood moons and the wall of flesh, but in and of itself this boss is awesome! Are you going to make a mechanical version?

That sounds awesome! I still think the EOC should spawn in corruption worlds, as it's an inseperable part of the game, similar to blood moons and the wall of flesh, but in and of itself this boss is awesome! Are you going to make a mechanical version?
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, a mechanical version of Motheye to replace The Twins in Corruption world. (Hummingbird Bot Moth, maybr? XD)
Also, the Eyemoth has the same drops as the EoC and such, the only thing different is the boss itself.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, a mechanical version of Motheye to replace The Twins in Corruption world. (Hummingbird Bot Moth, maybr? XD)
Also, the Eyemoth has the same drops as the EoC and such, the only thing different is the boss itself.
still, i feel like it's kind of an iconic terraria boss though, and then there's things like blood moons and wall of flesh that were originally corruption only(seeing as crimson hadn't been added yet), and so i feel like they shouldn't be made alternate-specific.

what about the eater of worlds ?
That's the corruption's main boss and the brain of cthulhu is the crimson counterpart of that. Fancymann wants to move the eye of cthutlhututluhlthultuhlu to a crimson world and have this moth abomination (I hate moths) as the corruption 2nd boss.

The problem is that the expert mode form doesn't seem difficult enough. EOC's expert mode form is very difficult. It's a wake-up call. You thought the bosses were just going to have upped stats? You thought wrong. Upping the amount of charges and poison balls just doesn't seem like it's enough.

Edit: I still really like this suggestion

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom