Xbox One Multiplayer Xbox one broken

Sufferrepent

Terrarian
I have been trying to get a multi player game on Xbox one and I keep getting the same screen the join puts a list is player games all named ... then it all will disappear .I have also tried to join a game with my friend inviting me to one and it gives me a can not connect to player try again in a few minutes both me and my friend have Xbox one’s and own terraria on Xbox can I please get someone to help me with this thank you

Joining your friends game may not work due to him being behind a router that's performing NAT (Network Address Translation). Tell him (or ask him to come to this forum) to check the NAT Status on the Network Status screen. If it says Moderate or Restricted, he will have to log into the router and enable an option called UPnP.

Btw have you tried hosting a game?

My nat is open so is my friend we have the same internet we couldn’t even get lan game to work split screen works fine but that’s all

Hey there,

i have somewhat of a similar issue. a friend uses mobile tethering as he is in a rural area with att. nat settings are always strict for him. my settings are open and i am using spectrum cable modem and netgear nighthawk x6s and he cant join my hosted games. the kicker is, if i connect by xb1x directly to the modem, he can instantly join, use my nighthawk and then he gets stuck on "connecting". i did make sure that UPnP is selected as you mentioned here.

Yeah we are both on the same router.
I'm somewhat uncertain about this but I don't think it works when you are both on the same router (unless the router is very clever). You are both sharing the same address, so when your router tries to forward messages from your console to your friends console, it doesn't know how to route it. And unfortunately Terraria doesn't support LAN play.

Hey there,

i have somewhat of a similar issue. a friend uses mobile tethering as he is in a rural area with att. nat settings are always strict for him. my settings are open and i am using spectrum cable modem and netgear nighthawk x6s and he cant join my hosted games. the kicker is, if i connect by xb1x directly to the modem, he can instantly join, use my nighthawk and then he gets stuck on "connecting". i did make sure that UPnP is selected as you mentioned here.
It's possible both your cable modem and your netgear are performing NAT, so that you are having Double NAT situation. Your console should be able to detect that though. On the Network settings page, what does it say about NAT?

I thought maybe it was because my internet is slow so I had my buddy host a game and we couldn’t connect to him . My buddy is running spectrum with a open nat I have att with my nat open.

Sorry about the late reply, I've been thinking about this. I'm not familiar with american ISPs and their practices, but I know that recently a bill passed which allow ISPs to throw net neutrality out the door. AT&T seems to be one of it's main backers. It's possible they are filtering your traffic so that online gaming doesn't work, unless you pay extra.

One thing you could try is using this tool to see if your ISP is blocking you. When entering the "Port to check", enter the port number that your Xbox uses (you'll find that under Advanced settings).

You can also try the "Test multiplayer connection" tool.
2018-10-15x.png

Last edited:
sorry for the delayed response as well, i managed to solve my problem my factory resetting my nighthawk x6s and just setting up the Wi-Fi networks ssid and passwords again so my devices auto connect. i didnt change anything else to make sure it stayed default and my xbox woes are gone. now i am having an issue with hosting on pc and have narrowed it down to my router settings. i fear changing them will put me at square one for my xbox.

sorry for the delayed response as well, i managed to solve my problem my factory resetting my nighthawk x6s and just setting up the Wi-Fi networks ssid and passwords again so my devices auto connect. i didnt change anything else to make sure it stayed default and my xbox woes are gone. now i am having an issue with hosting on pc and have narrowed it down to my router settings. i fear changing them will put me at square one for my xbox.
Glad you got your console network troubles squared away @redheadedsnowman, thanks for following up and letting us know the steps you took that got it to work. Yuck that you’re now what may be a Catch-22 between console and PC multiplayer though.

Back
Top Bottom