Other Literature Mushroom Biome Lore

Seeker

Eater of Worlds
upload_2015-6-30_16-21-20.png

I've had a lot of time to think recently and after that I was finally ready to give the Mushroom Biome a story like I have done with both the Corruption and Crimson. Unlike the Corruption and Crimson lore though, this will be fairly short as not much needs to be explained.

This is my theory, the Mushroom Biome is real, but its denizens are not. Allow me to explain. In the real world it is common knowledge that certain mushrooms are hallucinogens. That's only if you eat ingest them though. But in the world of Terraria, things are different. So perhaps just being around the biomes Glowing Mushrooms produces hallucinations, deadly ones. It is my belief that all the Mushroom Biome enemies are hallucinations, which is why they disappear instead of leaving behind remains when killed. Why imagine monsters thought? Perhaps if the player dies while fighting these monsters their corpse will fall to ground and nourish the mushrooms growing on it. This is all just speculation though.

Please note that when I mean "the player dies while fighting these monsters" I mean "the player kills themselves, believing there are monsters attacking him/her."

This is actually a really interesting idea. I always assumed the enemies just exploded in a cloud of spores, but this makes a lot of sense!

This also explains why the mushroom enemies only appear in Hardmode, during a Blood Moon or on the surface. Maybe the spirits of light and dark/the evil of the Blood Moon affected the Mushroom biome's spore production, causing it to release hallucinogenic spores into the air. As for why they appear on the surface, maybe the spores are needed to block the sun's piercing light so the mushrooms can live.

Something I forgot to add to my post, the Truffle mentions "jerks like you stealing my children", referring to the glowing mushrooms in the caverns. Perhaps, as well as nourishing the mushrooms with your corpse, the hallucinated enemies serve as a self defense mechanism to prevent the mushrooms from being harvested?

This is a great idea, I like it a lot! Only thing I'd be curious about is the truffle? Is it really a talking mushroom, or is it a hallucination? Maybe an actual person who has been distorted in the players eyes thanks to the hallucinogens?
Maybe he is an actual person, that doesn't explain why he only lives in the Mushroom biome though. Ignoring that, that'd explain why he sells the Autohmammer. I doubt talking fungus could develop that by itself.

Back
Top Bottom