Resolved My characters are gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Terrarian
Hey hey. So, I noticed that a patch came out today and decided to fire the game back up to check out the new stuff.

So I click Single Player, and the Select Character window comes up, but it's empty.

My character's .plr is still in the Terraria folder of my Documents folder, so I don't know what the problem is.

Oddly enough, your character is showing up just fine in my character select screen, and works fine, so at the very least its not corrupted (so that's good).

I'm not sure what would be causing it not to appear in your character screen . . . but just to confirm, you are using Documents\My Games\Terraria\Players, correct?

Not exactly. Because the folder I set to be my libraries documents folder isn't that.

So it's I:/[Downloads]/Documents/Ender/Terraria/Players

I: is my external harddrive. [Downloads] is the folder where I keep all of my libraries(videos, music, pictures, documents, etc). And then the Documents folder is the folder I told Windows is my Documents folder in My Libraries.

These folders and the files are exactly the same as they were last time I played though, but I HAVE upgraded to Windows 10 since the last time I played.

Last edited:
Windows 10 does have a folder permission issue. For some reason, after an upgrade, Windows 10 (and in some cases a clean install to the 10.1 update) will have issues with the My Documents folder. It may also be due to the fact the folder on the external drive was owned by the previous windows installation.

Give these steps a try and see if it resolves your issue.

1. Open My Documents\My Games\ and right click the Terraria folder
Or wherever your directory is​
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab
4. Click the "Advanced" button.
5. Click "Change" next to Owner.
6. Type your username, click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.
7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under the owner's name.
8. Click OK again. If you get a message saying "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?", click "Yes" and you're done.
9. Click the "Edit" button.
10. Click on your username from the list.
11. Check "Full control" underneath it.
12. Click OK.
13. Click OK again.

If it works, I know other applications were impacted by this same problem, so taking ownership of the whole directory may be worth your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom